You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Boring afternoon theories

polluxlm wrote:

They weren't a singles band, but they had some huge hits. If that makes sense. 16

Like Zeppelin I guess.

johndivney wrote:

yea it does

i kinda disagree w/mrID when he says:

misterID wrote:

I don't think he means singles, but huge hits. SCOM was really their only huge hit. The rest were successful, in charting terms, but not what you'd call massive hits.

Jungle/Nov Rain/Patience/Paradise they're all huge hits, maybe even Don't Cry/YCBM at a stretch & most of AFD is Thriller-esque in how instantly recognisable & universally loved they are: people got nuts for My Michelle/Brownstone/Nightrain/RQ/Easy.

i think you would call them massive hits but not necessarily chart successes. i don't think the two terms are exclusive. you can be an all-time hit w/o being a chart smash. most chart smashes are ultimately forgotten.

Sky Dog wrote:

AFD is the highest selling debut album of all time...enuff said...Jungle/SCOM/PC are HUGE anthems and were instant rock classics....that is a hit...as is November Rain and Patience.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Finally, some people agreeing with me! 5

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I don't think he means singles, but huge hits. SCOM was really their only huge hit. The rest were successful, in charting terms, but not what you'd call massive hits.

November Rain was a HUGE hit, as was Patience, and You Could Be Mine was pretty huge when it came out too. That's what introduced me to the band, it was being played everywhere in Australia in 1991, and I still hear it on radio these days, as with most of the other songs I mentioned.

I wasn't listing obscure songs that only diehards know, GN'R have had more than their fair share of big hit singles.

The only album GN'R haven't had big hit "singles" on, was CD. And that's not a dig, just the way it is.

I get what D is saying, that GNR were more of an album band, but to say that they had no massive hit singles other than SCOM is just ignorant, or uninformed.

November Rain was number 1 on the charts in Australia for ages, and even the Knockin live video single from Freddie Mercury gig was in the charts for ages.

And those are only a couple of examples.

It has nothing to do with being ignorant or uninformed. You're not understanding what we're saying. They were not a hit-single type band. Jungle is one of their best songs and wasn't a chart topper. Means nothing. GN'R, outside SCOM, was not a hit-single type band, like you would call Bon Jovi, or Hootie And The Blowfish. They did have successful singles, but were not a chart topping band. Their songs didn't translate to that. It was the body of music that was regarded, not an indivdual song, or group of pop friendly songs.

polluxlm made a great point about Zeppelin, and so did john. LZ had great singles, but were not hit singles, like Journey had. No one thinks Journey is better than LZ, and no one says those songs were better, etc.

Lomax wrote:
misterID wrote:

polluxlm made a great point about Zeppelin, and so did john. LZ had great singles, but were not hit singles, like Journey had. No one thinks Journey is better than LZ, and no one says those songs were better, etc.

I think Journey was better than Zeppelin.

jk

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
misterID wrote:

I still like MSL, but his rep took a huge hit with that "blackmail for his sort of-not really girlfirend" fiasco. Most of the titles up there ended up being exaggerations for attention, but some were true.

TBH I'm shocked he didn't pop up in the thread immediately after you posted this. He always seems to know when he's mentioned somehow 16

Maybe he's been taken out :-)

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I like Journey better than Led Zeppelin. And I'm not gonna feel bad about it either.

johndivney wrote:

you should feel bad.
very very bad.

how many singles did Zeppelin actually release? i think they release d'yer m'ker as a single in the US & maybe Whole Lotta Love but i really don't think they released any other singles.
so i don't think the comparison really stands.
i think when you get to the level of awesome that GnR/Zep/The Stones did you're kinda beyond comparison. middle weight jobber pop-bands like Journey or Bon Jovi yea ok you can say great singles but when you're talking about GnR the hits & the deep cuts are the same, cause they were so fuckin good.

Board footer