You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Boring afternoon theories

Sky Dog wrote:

You guys and your fuckin' radio hits...bullshit. It's about this and only this....bring the mother fuckin rock! Fuck off.....\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3K0PvO2Dr4

johndivney wrote:

now THAT ^ is a hit

Sabbath >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Zeppelin

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

now THAT ^ is a hit

holy shit...whole concert......got a cocktail and started watching this. Sorry to derail the thread but it is Friday. 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ht9skg … re=related

and for the record, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward destroy Popcorn and Duff....I'll call Axl/Slash and Ozzy/Iommi even during their prime. Game changer between the two was Izzy....

Sky Dog wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I love Journey, Zeppelin and Sabbath, how's about that? smile To me, all 3 bring something to the table for me. I've always been that way with music though, I listened to Motley Crue, Culture Club, Metallica and Mumford And Sons all in the same sitting yesterday.

That is called multiple personalties/schizophrenic. big_smile

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

now THAT ^ is a hit

holy shit...whole concert......got a cocktail and started watching this. Sorry to derail the thread but it is Friday. 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ht9skg … re=related

and for the record, Geezer Butler and Bill Ward destroy Popcorn and Duff....I'll call Axl/Slash and Ozzy/Iommi even during their prime. Game changer between the two was Izzy....

You're the man. Shame you don't have the karma system on, 'cause I'd be hitting that button as if I was Desmond in Lost big_smile

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

you should feel bad.
very very bad.

how many singles did Zeppelin actually release? i think they release d'yer m'ker as a single in the US & maybe Whole Lotta Love but i really don't think they released any other singles.
so i don't think the comparison really stands.
i think when you get to the level of awesome that GnR/Zep/The Stones did you're kinda beyond comparison. middle weight jobber pop-bands like Journey or Bon Jovi yea ok you can say great singles but when you're talking about GnR the hits & the deep cuts are the same, cause they were so fuckin good.

According to wikipedia, the following were singles released by Zeppelin.  They did have more than 2, but not many overall.  A couple per album on average.

1969 "Good Times Bad Times" US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart (Pop Singles) #80

1970 "Whole Lotta Love" US Billboard Hot 100 #4
1997 "Whole Lotta Love" UK Singles Chart #21
1970 "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)" US Billboard Hot 100 #65

1970 (release)
1971 (peak position) "Immigrant Song" /
"Hey Hey What Can I Do" Billboard Hot 100 Singles #16

1971 "Black Dog" US Billboard Hot 100 #15
1972 "Rock and Roll" Billboard Hot 100 #47

1973 "D'yer Mak'er" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100) #20
1973 "Over The Hills And Far Away" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100)     #51

1975 "Trampled Under Foot" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100) #38

1980 "Fool in the Rain" Billboard Hot 100 #21

1982 "Darlene" Billboard Mainstream Rock #4
1982 "Ozone Baby" Billboard Mainstream Rock #14
1982 "Poor Tom" Billboard Mainstream Rock #18

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were not a hit-single type band. Jungle is one of their best songs and wasn't a chart topper. Means nothing. GN'R, outside SCOM, was not a hit-single type band, like you would call Bon Jovi, or Hootie And The Blowfish.

It depends how you define "hit".

Obviously there's chart success as a measure...but I would suggest that a song becoming ingrained in the public consciousness makes it a hit too.

Paradise City is covered in the opening title sequence of the $75m Tom Cruise movie "Rock of Ages" not because it's a deep album cut but because it was a hit with the public and is an anthem of the era.

Welcome to the Jungle is used extensively in sports programming because it's an exciting song with an aggressive tone that suits sports and people know the the song.

Everyone my age remembers T2 and the YCBM film clip with Arnie.

Sing knocking on heavens door at a pub and people will do an Axl impresion of the "aye aye aye yeaaahhh" bits.

They may or may not have chart success but these songs are "hits" because they are culturally known by a very large percentage of the population and not just people who are direct fans of the band.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

didn't mean to leave it so vague.

meaning they never wrote songs trying to be hits. They were just great songs that become hits but none were the normal radio friendly formulatic stuff most bands release intending to be hits.

SCOM has virtually no chorus and is considered a "ballad" but listen to what other people had hits with for ballads during that time. WAY different.  same for November Rain which is almost 9 mins long.  WTTJ had to be released several times.

GNR made it by having a great collection of songs.

CD has a good collection of songs but there isn't any one song u can point to and say, "That's a hit" cause Axl doesn't try to write formulatic hits.

Difference is, in the 80's early 90's people loved albums.

21st century people love the single.

GNR aren't that type of band.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I still believe that, if pushed as hard as some other artists' singles are by the record companies, Street of Dreams could've been the successful single out of Chinese Democracy.

Board footer