You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: Boring afternoon theories

buzzsaw wrote:

Not a chance (imo).

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

I still believe that, if pushed as hard as some other artists' singles are by the record companies, Street of Dreams could've been the successful single out of Chinese Democracy.

I always felt that too.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were not a hit-single type band. Jungle is one of their best songs and wasn't a chart topper. Means nothing. GN'R, outside SCOM, was not a hit-single type band, like you would call Bon Jovi, or Hootie And The Blowfish.

It depends how you define "hit".

Obviously there's chart success as a measure...but I would suggest that a song becoming ingrained in the public consciousness makes it a hit too.

Paradise City is covered in the opening title sequence of the $75m Tom Cruise movie "Rock of Ages" not because it's a deep album cut but because it was a hit with the public and is an anthem of the era.

Welcome to the Jungle is used extensively in sports programming because it's an exciting song with an aggressive tone that suits sports and people know the the song.

Everyone my age remembers T2 and the YCBM film clip with Arnie.

Sing knocking on heavens door at a pub and people will do an Axl impresion of the "aye aye aye yeaaahhh" bits.

They may or may not have chart success but these songs are "hits" because they are culturally known by a very large percentage of the population and not just people who are direct fans of the band.

Again, I was talking about #1 hot chart success singles, not if a single was good, successful, classic, etc. Nothing more. They are not that type of band, never have been.

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Not a chance (imo).

kinda agree...maybe MARGINAL success on an adult rock radio format....which means, ahhhhh,,.....it would do nada. 16

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were not a hit-single type band. Jungle is one of their best songs and wasn't a chart topper. Means nothing. GN'R, outside SCOM, was not a hit-single type band, like you would call Bon Jovi, or Hootie And The Blowfish.

It depends how you define "hit".

Obviously there's chart success as a measure...but I would suggest that a song becoming ingrained in the public consciousness makes it a hit too.

Paradise City is covered in the opening title sequence of the $75m Tom Cruise movie "Rock of Ages" not because it's a deep album cut but because it was a hit with the public and is an anthem of the era.

Welcome to the Jungle is used extensively in sports programming because it's an exciting song with an aggressive tone that suits sports and people know the the song.

Everyone my age remembers T2 and the YCBM film clip with Arnie.

Sing knocking on heavens door at a pub and people will do an Axl impresion of the "aye aye aye yeaaahhh" bits.

Agree. Radios (not rock, but mainstream radios) still play Sweet Child, November Rain, Don't Cry and KOHD a LOT here. Not in every 5 minutes, like MTV Europe used to do it, but as often as any other big hit from 20-25 years or more.
Everybody, and when I say I really mean that everybody knows Jungle, Paradise City and the Terminator song You Could Be Mine. After 20 years, GN'R (and I mean the real GN'R) are still very popular and these songs are well known=hits.

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's still not what we're talking about.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:
faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

you should feel bad.
very very bad.

how many singles did Zeppelin actually release? i think they release d'yer m'ker as a single in the US & maybe Whole Lotta Love but i really don't think they released any other singles.
so i don't think the comparison really stands.
i think when you get to the level of awesome that GnR/Zep/The Stones did you're kinda beyond comparison. middle weight jobber pop-bands like Journey or Bon Jovi yea ok you can say great singles but when you're talking about GnR the hits & the deep cuts are the same, cause they were so fuckin good.

According to wikipedia, the following were singles released by Zeppelin.  They did have more than 2, but not many overall.  A couple per album on average.

1969 "Good Times Bad Times" US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart (Pop Singles) #80

1970 "Whole Lotta Love" US Billboard Hot 100 #4
1997 "Whole Lotta Love" UK Singles Chart #21
1970 "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)" US Billboard Hot 100 #65

1970 (release)
1971 (peak position) "Immigrant Song" /
"Hey Hey What Can I Do" Billboard Hot 100 Singles #16

1971 "Black Dog" US Billboard Hot 100 #15
1972 "Rock and Roll" Billboard Hot 100 #47

1973 "D'yer Mak'er" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100) #20
1973 "Over The Hills And Far Away" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100)     #51

1975 "Trampled Under Foot" Billboard Pop Singles (Billboard Hot 100) #38

1980 "Fool in the Rain" Billboard Hot 100 #21

1982 "Darlene" Billboard Mainstream Rock #4
1982 "Ozone Baby" Billboard Mainstream Rock #14
1982 "Poor Tom" Billboard Mainstream Rock #18

look how many they originally released in the UK. & that's where it counts! wink

fuck singles.
fuck ipod random.
give me a double vinyl Exile on Main Street or Physical Graffiti.
give me the 3-cd Chinese Democracy!

misterID

misterID wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's still not what we're talking about.

I've always defined "hit" by cultural impact.

I mean, if you look at those Zep stats, Black Dog wasn't a "top ten hit" but just about everyone on Earth knows the tune.

That's kind of what we're saying. Take Bon Jovi: they write songs perfect for the radio. They write singles that are pefect to be big hits, just like Journey and that Hootie album. That's the band they are. They write a lot of pop friendly songs. GN'R isn't like that. They're regarded for their body of work. You point to AFD as their greatness, not an indvidual song.

We're talking chart success, making top 5, pop friendly single, not cultural impact. That's a whole other topic.

SCOM was their biggest hit and their only #1 hit. That doesn't mean their other singles weren't successful, or good, or whatever, but they weren't a band that wrote #1 hit songs. Like Zeppelin, even though their songs weren't big hits, they're still anthems, they're still classic, still better than most of the trash that topped them on the charts. That's not what we're saying.

Especially in todays climate, GN'R isn't a band that makes huge singles.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer