You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Dizzy Reed Interview for VEGAS.com

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

they still have stuff from '99, but nothing new since 2006 (and possibly 2004).

This. And let's say Axl reactivates by digging around the vault. What's one of the first things he'll likely do when working up an old track? Call Ron / DJ to record new guitar.

While the band members can claim this, that or the other, none boasted of recording new stuff with Axl. Leads me to believe they're silently campaigning for Axl to re-enter the creative process.

I'm surprised how little CD reception is mentioned in this equation. When you have someone like Axl, going through a tedious journey of one and a half decades and get lackluster immediate returns, commercially and critically, you're bound to shell up some more.

Mikkamakka wrote:

We're in 2012, so in some aspects Axl was closer to a new album in 1999 than now.

The original reception of Oh My God got him to pull back his album then. Imagine what CD's public reception was in comparison to that one single track.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Noone is writing for GnR.  DJ is writing stuff Axl apparently likes.  Ali would easily tell you I am correct.

Here's how I look at it. Axl is in GN'R and DJ is in GN'R, and DJ is writing for Axl, for future GN'R music right.... 10

Seems like DJ is writing music for GN'R to me.

I mean he's not just writing random music that will end up nowhere (well, maybe it will the way Axl is going... 16 ), but it seems as though DJ clearly wants to create new Guns N' Roses music, thus presenting it to Axl for future GN'R material.

See, that's the big hangup, isn't it?  Yes, he WANTS to write music for Axl.  The reality is that he's writing music by himself that he's playing for Axl.  Slash did that while he was actually in the band (not a contract musician) and it didn't end up anywhere near a GnR record, nor was it ever worked on by GnR.

So yes, I know what DJ wants.  I know the reality is that nobody is writing music for GnR right now outside of maybe Axl, and I highly doubt that is happening either.  In DJ's mind, he's doing exactly what you say he's doing.  In the real world, he's playing stuff he wrote for Axl to listen to.  Pretty significant gap to bridge there...

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

I'm surprised how little CD reception is mentioned in this equation. When you have someone like Axl, going through a tedious journey of one and a half decades and get lackluster immediate returns, commercially and critically, you're bound to shell up some more.

I said this when CD dropped off the face of the earth, and I've said it several times since then (though stated it a little differently and less "nice").  Not only would it make him shell up, it's not going to make the record company rush another pile of crap to market. 

CD - as much as some people love it - was a commercial failure in spite of relatively positive critical acclaim.  What does that mean?  Nothing if you enjoy the album, but it means a lot when looking at the possibility of another album.  Axl doesn't even have the built in fan base he had 4 years ago (much less the one he had in earlier years post 1996).  Now there's no curiosity factor either (I don't know why some people insist on downplaying the impact of this).  There are a few diehards that would buy a new GnR CD, and that's about it.  There's no money in it for the record company this time; there's no Best Buy that is going to allow them to recover money they spent (or a need to recover money spent). 

The record company has everything they need from Axl now.  They don't need anything else.  Either Axl does things their way, or there will never be a new GnR album.  Axl's pretty much said as much when he's blaming the record company for the delays...he's trying to renegotiate something when they have no interest in what he's offering and they don't need it.  It's a business.  Half-assed efforts aren't going to cut it this time.  They aren't going to let him out of his contract by releasing a crappy album, and they aren't going to renegotiate a contract giving him money up front when he hasn't given them anything they think they can sell.  The only big-ticket thing involving GnR is a reunion (as unlikely as it is) and the record company isn't going to lose their chance at that payday by releasing garbage.  They also aren't going to give Axl money (or anything else) to give him some leverage back.  He pissed off a lot of people at the label, and they don't trust him.  They aren't going to take a promise to release an album in X number of months/years to rengotiate his contract.  They've been down that road once already.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

CD wasn't a failure. It sold two million copies and made UNI a lot of money. So, no, that's not true that it was a failure. It was stated UNI already recovered their costs for CD.

And no one cares there was no "new" music on Smile, the way you guys are describing it. If we haven't heard it, it's new. Like "You Know You're Right" was a new song. And so was Novemeber Rain, even if they didn't fit your descritpions as new.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Noone is writing for GnR.  DJ is writing stuff Axl apparently likes.  Ali would easily tell you I am correct.

I understand that's your opinion and how you choose to see it.

Correct.  I just wanted to clarify the statement of fact you made earlier was indeed just your opinion.  That's all...no big deal.

Nope, I stated a fact. He's writing for GN'R. You're attempting to twist and skew (spin it?) it to fit your point of veiw for whatever reason. smile

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

I understand that's your opinion and how you choose to see it.

Correct.  I just wanted to clarify the statement of fact you made earlier was indeed just your opinion.  That's all...no big deal.

Nope, I stated a fact. He's writing for GN'R. You're attempting to twist and skew (spin it?) it to fit your point of veiw for whatever reason. smile

No, you are wrong.  You couldn't be more wrong.  Your quote (yes, your quote) of the situation proves it.  DJ is writing music that Axl liked.  That's it.  Not DJ is writing music for Axl.  Not DJ is writing music for GnR.  Why?  Because there is no new music for GnR.  None.  We all (well most of us at least) know this and accept it for what it is.

Since you're someone who is so big on not stating opinions as fact, you do yourself a disservice by doing the same thing here.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

CD wasn't a failure. It sold two million copies and made UNI a lot of money. So, no, that's not true that it was a failure. It was stated UNI already recovered their costs for CD.

And no one cares there was no "new" music on Smile, the way you guys are describing it. If we haven't heard it, it's new. Like "You Know You're Right" was a new song. And so was Novemeber Rain, even if they didn't fit your descritpions as new.

Failure.  Best Buy was giving copies away (or trying to at least).  Just as much a fact as your opinion about DJ writing GnR songs.  But ignoring that...

I don't even know what the hell you're babbling on about in the rest of the post.  You're actually backing up what I said for some reason, though I imagine that wasn't your intent.  Yes, UNI recovered their costs, therefore they hold all the cards.  That's what I said.  That was the only success for CD other than a million people or so got to hear an album they still like.  OK, that number may be a little high, but I'm trying to be generous and not overly critical here.  The numbers don't matter.  The fact that UNI holds all the cards does.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

No, there's Tommy's word to say he has.

Tommy said the he wrote with DJ and Axl?  I don't remember that, but that's still possible because I'm not at all interested in what they'd come up with.

No, Tommy said DJ had written some stuff Axl really liked and wanted to pursue, and that he (Tommy) wanted to get back to some of the music that wasn't as fleshed out from the vault and work on that. I'm pretty sure he gave a number of songs, but I can't rememeber what that was.

Just in case you forgot your own quote.

I can go find the quotes about Slash writing stuff that turned into the Snakepit albums if you want.  Axl supposedly liked some of that too...when can we expect that to come out as a GnR record?  My guess is about the same time the DJ stuff comes out as a GnR record...never.  19

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

All things considered, they're doing the sensible thing as a band without an active participation of a label: They tour the old hits. There's performance fees, merch sales, additional royalties garnered by the lasting sales of the old stuff. Club tours, Vegas residency, private shows (Fashion Week / French Weddings, etc.), even charities now with the Bridge School event.

The good sides are the direct revenue paid straight to the band, the name staying alive and visible, etc. The downside is that your creativity may suffer, if not halt completely. Touring the old hits doesn't require new music, let alone a new album. The new album would be a step up from the merch stand, something the record label sells on the bands behalf.

Now, here's the big deal. Why on earth Axl cannot be arsed to try out new tunes live? It would have about as much as a splash as a new album announcement would; the die-hards would be quick on the case, while the Internet music press would slouch somewhere behind. Artistically, it might be more gratifying for any of them then Mr Brownstone or whatever.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

All things considered, they're doing the sensible thing as a band without an active participation of a label: They tour the old hits. There's performance fees, merch sales, additional royalties garnered by the lasting sales of the old stuff. Club tours, Vegas residency, private shows (Fashion Week / French Weddings, etc.), even charities now with the Bridge School event.

The good sides are the direct revenue paid straight to the band, the name staying alive and visible, etc. The downside is that your creativity may suffer, if not halt completely. Touring the old hits doesn't require new music, let alone a new album. The new album would be a step up from the merch stand, something the record label sells on the bands behalf.

Now, here's the big deal. Why on earth Axl cannot be arsed to try out new tunes live? It would have about as much as a splash as a new album announcement would; the die-hards would be quick on the case, while the Internet music press would slouch somewhere behind. Artistically, it might be more gratifying for any of them then Mr Brownstone or whatever.

Oh, I agree that given the circumstances, they are doing the right thing.  Now why we have the circumstances is up for debate and who is to blame is up for debate, but in the current situation, what they are doing makes complete sense.

The "concern" I have is that they are running out of options if they aren't going to do anything new (which it is pretty clear they are not any time soon).  I suppose they could go on another world tour, but sooner or later they are going to dry up that pool as well.  This whole Vegas thing kind of reeks of desperation.  I wonder how long these contracts go for...

Board footer