You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: 11-21-2012 The Joint, Las Vegas (Being filmed in 3D)

Gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:

Wow. The pro shot footage is awesome but that's about it. The performance by the band was pretty meh in my opinion and I hated the outro to be honest. Axl sounds like absolute shit in that clip. Does not come off well on film in my opinion. No doubt a millon times better being there in person.  If I were to rank that video out of 10 I'd give it a solid 3.

Guns N' Roses aren't even the best band performing Guns N' Roses songs anymore.  This is so much better hmm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH3efkWWDo

Totally agree mate 22

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know how or why, but Axl doesn't sound that bad when you're there.  I can't explain it; it defies logic.

Slash plays the songs with such ease and flow that GnR can't replicate.  They play the right notes, but it just doesn't sound right.  I can't really explain that either because I respect them all as musicians...it's almost like they play it too clean if that makes any sense.  I don't really care about the drummers, but maybe this is what people that love Adler hear vs Matt on the AFD songs.  To my ears Matt is fine, but I'm not a drums guy at all.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know how or why, but Axl doesn't sound that bad when you're there.  I can't explain it; it defies logic.

Slash plays the songs with such ease and flow that GnR can't replicate.  They play the right notes, but it just doesn't sound right.  I can't really explain that either because I respect them all as musicians...it's almost like they play it too clean if that makes any sense.  I don't really care about the drummers, but maybe this is what people that love Adler hear vs Matt on the AFD songs.  To my ears Matt is fine, but I'm not a drums guy at all.

I have a really hard time with two things about Myles:
The sing along over ANY song that he tries to implement but doesn't make much sense in songs like Paradise City or Nightrain or Civil War... Sounds lame and artificial...

His tone, as Axl's nowadays most of the time, doesn't fit GNR songs.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not defending Myles, trust me.  I'm referring to the music (which is what I listen to).

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^

I think it's Axl going through the motions. You can't blame it on age, because he sang this exact same way in 02 and came out as a bad ass in 06. Didn't he have the rasp in 09? Yeah, I think it's a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring.

After years like 2003-2005, 2008-most of 2009 and most of 2011, I would say not touring is a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring. 16

Ali

I think the tours from 09-13 could be called: "Axl needs the money."

It's lazy singing. He puts on a good show, but it's without the bite he had in 06 when it seeemd like he had something to prove, or he actually wanted to be there. That he wanted to kick ass. He put on a good show in 2002, too. And he made it clear afterwards he didn't want to be there and it was forced on him. It's the same feeling Im getting here. Some of those 02 shows were fucking tight. Axl's voice was not.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think in the end it comes down to the overall mix live. I wouldn't say he's buried in the mix live, but there seems to be more going on I guess and it weaves him in better.

When we saw them in November, I can say he sounded ATROCIOUS on RQ but other than that he sounded great the whole night.

How present the vocals are in the mix can't create a difference in his vocal tone, which seems to be the biggest objection I hear to his vocals.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:
Ali wrote:
misterID wrote:

^^

I think it's Axl going through the motions. You can't blame it on age, because he sang this exact same way in 02 and came out as a bad ass in 06. Didn't he have the rasp in 09? Yeah, I think it's a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring.

After years like 2003-2005, 2008-most of 2009 and most of 2011, I would say not touring is a clear sign he doesn't want to be touring. 16

Ali

I think the tours from 09-13 could be called: "Axl needs the money."

It's lazy singing. He puts on a good show, but it's without the bite he had in 06 when it seeemd like he had something to prove, or he actually wanted to be there. That he wanted to kick ass. He put on a good show in 2002, too. And he made it clear afterwards he didn't want to be there and it was forced on him. It's the same feeling Im getting here. Some of those 02 shows were fucking tight. Axl's voice was not.

And yet he puts on a three hour show or more, night after night.  If he didn't want to be there, why go to that extent?  Why play that long?  That doesn't add up to me.

I think he deliberately sings with a cleaner tone, or makes a deliberate effort to sing with that tone.  I think that may be because of a concern over vocal wear and tear over the course of a long show and a long tour.

Ali

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think in the end it comes down to the overall mix live. I wouldn't say he's buried in the mix live, but there seems to be more going on I guess and it weaves him in better.

When we saw them in November, I can say he sounded ATROCIOUS on RQ but other than that he sounded great the whole night.

How present the vocals are in the mix can't create a difference in his vocal tone, which seems to be the biggest objection I hear to his vocals.

Ali

It can if you can't clearly hear him.  Down in the mix + crowd singing along can hide tone I suspect.

Ali

Ali wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Ali

It can if you can't clearly hear him.  Down in the mix + crowd singing along can hide tone I suspect.

I had no problem making the distinctions in vocal tone the last two shows of the Vegas residency.  For example, I noticed that during "Don't Cry", he started using a raspier tone as soon as he started singing "And please remember that I never lied...".

Even with the crowd singing along, I really had zero problem hearing Axl those two nights.

Ali

Board footer