You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Re: 11-21-2012 The Joint, Las Vegas (Being filmed in 3D)

Ali wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

There's a big difference between getting into a performance and wanting to be on tour. I don't want to go to work everyday but even the days I don't want to be there there are moments I enjoy. Saying Axl running from side to side during a  performance of PC is a clear sign he wants to be on tour is a huge stretch. He's a performer what do you expect him to do? Pout the way he did in dublin all show, all tour? Not gonna happen  even if he absolutely hated being there.  To be fair there is no real proof that he doesn't want to be there either,  just all speculation but you can't using running around on stage as proof he wants to be there.

Very true.  I'd agree with Ali that it seems to ME that he's enjoying himself more these days.  He seems to be in a good mood on the road and during the shows.  The negative incidents have pretty much disappeared as well.  All those signs would point to him wanting to tour.

BUT, I surely wasn't aware that he didn't want to tour in 2002 either, so you can't really go off of what you think you see.  So yeah, we're all guessing.  Can't really say who's right or who's wrong until there's definitive proof one way or the other.  And we may never get that either, if nothing negative happens or is said regarding the touring schedule.  Unfortunately with GNR, many people expect the worst.  And you can't blame them for that, with all that we've seen over the years.

Agreed with Faldor.  The point about negative incidents is a good one.  And, if you're going to make a speculative statement that it seems he doesn't want to be there based on observations of vocal tone or what have you, then there are also speculative statements that can be made based on observations of other factors that would not support the notion he doesn't want to be there.  But, yes, it's impossible to know for sure.

Ali

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Ali wrote:

And yet he puts on a three hour show or more, night after night.  If he didn't want to be there, why go to that extent?

I'm not saying he doesn't want to be there...but for the sake of discussion it's worth noting:

* Much of the 3 hour set time is actually time that does NOT involve axl. 3 guitar solos. A piano solo. A  bass lead segment. Extended band jams before and after songs. All of this gives Axl a lot of time to go off stage, do oxygen, discuss the staging elements or whatever he does. Academically these things could be seen as a way to provide a headline length presentation without creating much burden on an Axl that wasn't inspired. Even many of the covers seem chosen for their ability to feature the band and not Axl - eg Riff Raff, While Lot of Rosie are essentially guitar jam sessions.

* Axl is contending with the "it's not really GNR" from a large part of the potential audience, who even if they go would turn into a "where's slash" crowd at the slightest hint of a fuckup from the new band. Along with an audience that is half anticipating him being late, walk off, or in some other way have an attitude. Extending the set to this type of length helps create the perception that it's value for money when people complain about these types of issues. Look at how often it's brought up as a justifcation for nearly anything at HTGTH....the 3 hour setlist is a defensive  posture.

It's cloaked with a 3 hour set, but actually it seems they're doing the minimum possible - Axl couldn't be on stage less time and bill the show as GNR, there's not been any new GNR music premiered at a GNR show since rio3, the only new changes are occasional new covers which even then don't focus on Axl, as a response to bitching about a stagnant 6 year old setlist the band responded with the introduction of ONE classic song from the UYI era....and still seems to be only able to play works like OMG during soundcheck. MEanwhile as you pointed out - it seems Axl's tone is able to swap between his classic sound and this new sound at will yet 99% of the time is without rasp even when it doesn't artistly suit the tone of the songs or indeed the way they sounded to become the classic hits they are.

I wouldn't phrase it as he doesn't want to be there, as we don't know what he really feels,  but there's def an argument that these things demonstrate the band is attempting to minimise the strain on him, that could be for health reasons (mental or physical) or some other reason....but it's obviously there. The last time something happened that was really above and beyond was that epic show in Tokyo that ran for record length, and before that at RIR3 when they premiered a lot of new songs that they didn't have to. The current situation - as excited as I am to be going to a show soon - seems to be a holding pattern.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That's a good point, Monkey.

The lack of new music is pretty glaring, seeing it's been 5 years since he's played anything new.

Sky Dog wrote:

he's cooked...forget about it...if he wanted to release the other Chinese songs he would have done it years ago. He isn't interested in recording new material and that is painfully obvious. Thus, he will tour the hits, travel the world, make some coin and party. That is all fine and dandy and that is his priority. Artistically, done.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I agree artistically DONE and likley ahs been since 1999.  I have a question:

If Axl came out and said there will not be another album, they're not going to record anything, would those of you supporting the live show continue to do so?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I'll probably get bashed for this ...but I would still go out of respect for Axl's contribution to my childhood...

Like for all he disappoints us at times...on the scale of things...GNR albums made my teen years.....

Like those songs changed my life and a part of me is grateful for that and so wants to give something back...and also it's fun night...a few beers...and some of my favourite songs.

Obviously I have far more interest in new music as I believe Axl is still capable of writing very interesting works....but if he came out an said it's never going to happen...I'd be disappointed...but I'd go to the show over having nothing at all.

Bono

Bono wrote:

fair enough. For me personally I'm done so it doesn't really matter how much he ontinues to lead fans on or if he comes clean. I won't go see them again even with a new album. I "gave back" for all Axl gave to my childhood.  I saw them in 1993, drove 12 hours all night through the most brutal winter driving ever to see him in 2002 in Vancouver and we all know how that turned out. I saw him at Hammerstien in 2006 and then two absolutely terrible shows in december for that year in Calgary and Edmonton. gave the guy one more chance in January 2010 and it was fantastic. I'm done. Ive "given back" enough and really of the 6 Gn'R shows I bought tickets for 3 were great, 2 fucking sucked and 1 he never even showed up for. So of the times I bought Gn'R tickets I only enjoyed the actual show 50% of the time. Brutal.

I would go see a reunion though.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah that's cool.

Also...I live in Australia...it's like go to GNR or stay at home masturbating to our 3 watchable Tv Channels playing the seasons you watched in 2010 wink

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:

fair enough. For me personally I'm done so it doesn't really matter how much he ontinues to lead fans on or if he comes clean. I won't go see them again even with a new album. I "gave back" for all Axl gave to my childhood.  I saw them in 1993, drove 12 hours all night through the most brutal winter driving ever to see him in 2002 in Vancouver and we all know how that turned out. I saw him at Hammerstien in 2006 and then two absolutely terrible shows in december for that year in Calgary and Edmonton. gave the guy one more chance in January 2010 and it was fantastic. I'm done. Ive "given back" enough and really of the 6 Gn'R shows I bought tickets for 3 were great, 2 fucking sucked and 1 he never even showed up for. So of the times I bought Gn'R tickets I only enjoyed the actual show 50% of the time. Brutal.

I would go see a reunion though.

What was the show like in`93 mate .I would give my left testicle to see that what was the setlist

Bono

Bono wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

What was the show like in`93 mate .I would give my left testicle to see that what was the setlist

It was pretty insane. It was my first concert ever. I was 15...............

it was crazy how we had to go about getting tickets. We had to go lineup outside the mall for "lineup tickets".  My buddy and I got there at 4:00am and there was already over 30  people there. It was below -20 degrees celsius and we waited in line till 9:00am when finally a lady came to the door and stood on a  chair and talked to us all. By this time there was easily 400 people in line. She explained what was going to happen and she'd be back in a  few minutes.  When she came back she had security with her but all hell broke loose. People started pushing and shoving and I managed to weasle my way up to the front and as she went to hand a ticket to someone and I just jumped up and grabbed it 16 Got #6. So we had to come back a  week later and lineup in an orderly fashion no pushing or shoving but this time you didn't need to wait in line for hours. I showed up 10 minutes before tickets went on sale and just stepped into line at position #6 Ended up with row 7 on the floor. 

the show was insane. the crowd was bonkers. Brian May was the opener. I remember when the lights went out the place went absolutely insane. It was pretty much the best first concert experience ever.  This is the setlist I could find. Not sure how accurate it is. I was surprised to see there was no Civil War. It's been a  long time so all I remember from the set specifically was It's So Easy, Jungle, Dead Horse, Patience, Used to Love Her & Paradise City.

1. It's So Easy
2. Mr. Brownstone
3. Live and Let Die
4. Welcome to the Jungle
5. Attitude
6. Double Talkin' Jive
7. You Ain't the First
8. You're Crazy
9. Used to Love Her
10. Patience (with Imagine)
11. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
- Axl Rose Piano Solo