You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chris Cornell: "Guns N 'Roses were all normal types minus one"

johndivney wrote:

Agree w/all Polluxlm's posts itt

Cornell coulda just said hey axl give us a break but instead took the opportunity to trash him.. Doesn't hurt to be polite y'know?

johndivney wrote:

& mick jagger has angst?!  Sir mick?! News to me..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing that's surprising about it to me too is that doesn't Cornell himself have some issues?

My understanding was that he'd struggled with depression, and being less famous than Axl but still a star, you think he'd understand and have an appreciation of how the pressures of superstar life can interact with anxiety or other existing issues Axl might have demonstrated.

I also think some of Axl's problems are deeply represented in his art. You don't write songs like Estranged unless you've been pretty emotional - and watching early live performances of him in the rock numbers you can see the anger and the emotion just flowing through him - even when he's happy - it's like he taps into everything bad that ever happened to him.

So overall I don't really get what cornell is getting at here.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I know that they have issues. Mick has with Keith, Keith has with Mick. I don't doubt they are not friends anymore. Mick is egomaniac, for sure. Keith was/is a druggie and a heavy drinker. But they are still together, because Mick, whatever an ass boss he can be, makes (t)his band functioning. Because he maybe a dictator, but a reliable one. These people can build empires. The disfunctionals leave mess behind them and not much to remember, except the feuds.

Or you could look at it another way.  GASP!  Maybe Keith was the smart one for sticking with Mick, despite all their differences.  As opposed to 21

Just saying.  There's two sides to every story.  (this is the point where you bring up the numerous people who have turned their back against Axl over the years so obviously it's HIS fault, and not theirs).  Thought I'd save you the time.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Ironically we in fact have Slash getting advice from Keith on that very question. The advice was: Whatever you do, don't leave the band.

faldor

faldor wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Ironically we in fact have Slash getting advice from Keith on that very question. The advice was: Whatever you do, don't leave the band.

Don't let facts get in the way of an argument. 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

And it's been said that that is why Axl is so angry at Slash. His leaving stopped them from becoming the stones.

Then again.

Some sources say Axl rejected anything brought to him for years as not good enough, including not really liking any of the snakepit riffs without significant changes, only wanted to work on industrial music, and when they did guitar based songs had paul overdub slash's parts. Not to mention never came into the studio before 4am to discuss these problems.

So I guess what's slash to do? It's not like his career has failed without Axl - he moved onto VR, and has now positioned himself as a solo icon - while GNR sadly hasn't done very much. So in some respects maybe it was the right choice.

I think Axl is a genius songwriter - but I think the business side of things is bad for him - he seems to be a guy with particular values and quite emotional and so on and I think maybe running the GNR machine has not been in his best interests - I think its him focusing on that side of things too much that prevents him from songwriting more often and so on. But what would I know.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I'm one of those with the crazy belief that they BOTH share blame when it comes to the breakup.  I'm not willing to lay all the blame on either party, like some seem quick to do.  By all accounts it wasn't easy for Mick and Keith to stick together through the years.  Or for Steven and Joe, or countless other duos.  Some made it, some didn't.  I just don't subscribe to the theory that Axl is a horrible person because GNR broke apart.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I agree.

I in no way meant to say I thought Axl was a horrible person.

There was a suggestion earlier in the thread that Slash was foolish for leaving, I was just pointing out that he had his reasons, and in the scheme of things the decision to leave has probably led to more of the things he values happening - that is extensive touring and more of his guitar songs getting recorded.

I actually think they each did what they had to do. Axl needed to put himself into a position where he was safe and in control because of his emotions and situation. Slash needed to put himself in a situation where he felt respected and where he could remain active - because of his personality and his drug dependance.

Board footer