You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Elementary School Shooting in US

Bono wrote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-575 … -massacre/

It'll only be a matter of time before some unbalanced, over stressed teachers start using guns to threaten students and then inevitably one will overreact and shoot a student. Guaranteed.

Welcome to the wild west.  Yee haw!

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

You need to learn how to read. I gave solutions. Who's got the "dumb fucking attitude" now? And no, Canada and Australia do not understand (but I do appreciate the anti Americanism!).

Since we're giving links:

Here's one for Bono -

How about those gun laws!

Yeah. I also love the people who  get in car crashes and live and weren't wearing their seat belt. Then they go on telling others how not wearing the seat belt saved their lives and if more people didn't wear them there would be less car related deaths.  Thanks for sharing your narrow mindedness with us ID.  After reading those articles my only conclusion can be that I need to go get me an assault rifle to protect my family. Unreal.  Did you know there are three hunting rifles in my basement right now ID? I bet you didn't know that.  I'm not anti gun, I'm anti stupid.

I'd bet  everything I own on the fact I know way more about your culture than you do Canada's.  Only a complete idiot would sit there and say Canadians are blind to the situation in America and just couldn't relate or have any understanding about what's happening.  It's like you think Canada is some far off foreign  land and we have no grasp on what America is. It's like you think you're North Korea cloaked in a  blanket of secrecy.  WAKE UP! Canada more than anyone has had a front row seat for for over 100 years. The fact you think we can't grasp what you're all about is asinine.

buzzsaw wrote:

Different.  And right about now I'm thinking that's in our favor.

Arrogance and ignorance personified.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

There are over 350 million guns here already, unlike any other country in the world. YOU DON'T THINK WE SHOULD HAVE GUNS...... TOO BAD. They are not going to be banned. End of story. There are definitely ways to lower the numbers of gun violence but you ignore them. You ignore the reality of our situation to fit your opinions.

What you are saying is like someone would have once said "we have 600 thousand african slaves here, they are not going to be made equal to gentlemen, ride on our coaches, sleep with our daughters". Drastic social changes can and do happen.

Yes there are a lot of guns in the USA, and that's a reason why change will be hard, slow and complicated, but that's not a reason that your society could never ever be repaired.

The argument about what is presently the case has nothing to do with how your society could be in 50 years time.

misterID wrote:

We live in a country where every single individual has certain rights, which means something to US. There is a protocol. And we cannot simply ban something as easy as you can. It is clear you do not understand this fact.

Please.

I didn't say it would be easy.

But it's not like constitutional change is impossible.

It's insulting that you think the rest of the world doesn't understand civil rights - we do. We notice when things like the patriot act get passed, we noticed when your government tortured prisoners, and we notice that people held indefinitely in such places are discreetly called enemy combatants  so they don't have to be given human rights afforded to prisoners of war for decades on end.

"Mass killings have a direct link to mental illness. Since no one wants to hear about it, and I've already pointed out that there is a system to deal with this, with psychological profiles that HAVE been identified and HAS stopped many mass shootings and serial klillers"

Cool...so we can uphold our human right to own weapons that are used for no other purpose but to murder, and begin arresting people for stuff they haven't even done yet? How would it actually work - and is it going to be less violation of human rights than stoping people owning guns they don't need?

Anyway, a link to mental illness is irrelevant as every other western nation has mental illness too and doesn't experience these problems, unless you're saying the USA has the worst heathcare and worst mental health system in the entire western world....which we could look into I guess...but then even if that's the case....isn't it then smarter to make sure all these untreated loons don't have access to weapons?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Neemo wrote:
misterID wrote:

That Utah thing is a proposition, not a law, and state houses make stupid propositions that go absolutely nowhere all the time.

Still not a good idea imho...

I agree. I had an armed police officer stationed at my school when I was a kid.

Bono, I don't really put much thought into what you keep in your basement. I never said you were anti gun. And if you have a firm grasp of the American political system and the cultural differences and laws in various regions of the United States, then good, you should understand what I'm talking about. Not to mention how many guns are out there RIGHT NOW that no future gun laws will effect.

I'm sure if you had to, you would protect your home and family the best you could anyway you could and that you are a responsible gun owner.

And I never claimed to be an expert on Canadian culture, nor will I ever. I do know how different we are.

And I wear my seatbelt when I drive smile

misterID

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

There are over 350 million guns here already, unlike any other country in the world. YOU DON'T THINK WE SHOULD HAVE GUNS...... TOO BAD. They are not going to be banned. End of story. There are definitely ways to lower the numbers of gun violence but you ignore them. You ignore the reality of our situation to fit your opinions.

What you are saying is like someone would have once said "we have 600 thousand african slaves here, they are not going to be made equal to gentlemen, ride on our coaches, sleep with our daughters". Drastic social changes can and do happen.

Yes there are a lot of guns in the USA, and that's a reason why change will be hard, slow and complicated, but that's not a reason that your society could never ever be repaired.

The argument about what is presently the case has nothing to do with how your society could be in 50 years time.

misterID wrote:

We live in a country where every single individual has certain rights, which means something to US. There is a protocol. And we cannot simply ban something as easy as you can. It is clear you do not understand this fact.

Please.

I didn't say it would be easy.

But it's not like constitutional change is impossible.

It's insulting that you think the rest of the world doesn't understand civil rights - we do. We notice when things like the patriot act get passed, we noticed when your government tortured prisoners, and we notice that people held indefinitely in such places are discreetly called enemy combatants  so they don't have to be given human rights afforded to prisoners of war for decades on end.

"Mass killings have a direct link to mental illness. Since no one wants to hear about it, and I've already pointed out that there is a system to deal with this, with psychological profiles that HAVE been identified and HAS stopped many mass shootings and serial klillers"

Cool...so we can uphold our human right to own weapons that are used for no other purpose but to murder, and begin arresting people for stuff they haven't even done yet? How would it actually work - and is it going to be less violation of human rights than stoping people owning guns they don't need?

Anyway, a link to mental illness is irrelevant as every other western nation has mental illness too and doesn't experience these problems, unless you're saying the USA has the worst heathcare and worst mental health system in the entire western world....which we could look into I guess...but then even if that's the case....isn't it then smarter to make sure all these untreated loons don't have access to weapons?

What is it that you want us to do, monkey? Ban all guns, is that your solution? Is that what you feel we should do?

You keep bringing up slaves... That's apples and oranges, nothing even remotely the same. People have a right to protect their homes.

I said how mass shootings HAVE BEEN STOPPED through psychological profiling. Nearly every mass shooting someone has tried to tip off the authorities before hand. I said it many times in this thread, if you didn't read it, then it makes sense why you keep spouting the same stuff over and over and keep bringing things up that have nothing to do with the issue, because you're ignoring or dismissing anything that doesn't suit YOUR opinions.

You don't want us to have guns. I say again, too bad.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

You need to learn how to read. I gave solutions. Who's got the "dumb fucking attitude" now? And no, Canada and Australia do not understand (but I do appreciate the anti Americanism!).

Since we're giving links:

Here's one for Bono -

How about those gun laws!

Yeah. I also love the people who  get in car crashes and live and weren't wearing their seat belt. Then they go on telling others how not wearing the seat belt saved their lives and if more people didn't wear them there would be less car related deaths.  Thanks for sharing your narrow mindedness with us ID.  After reading those articles my only conclusion can be that I need to go get me an assault rifle to protect my family. Unreal.  Did you know there are three hunting rifles in my basement right now ID? I bet you didn't know that.  I'm not anti gun, I'm anti stupid.

I'd bet  everything I own on the fact I know way more about your culture than you do Canada's.  Only a complete idiot would sit there and say Canadians are blind to the situation in America and just couldn't relate or have any understanding about what's happening.  It's like you think Canada is some far off foreign  land and we have no grasp on what America is. It's like you think you're North Korea cloaked in a  blanket of secrecy.  WAKE UP! Canada more than anyone has had a front row seat for for over 100 years. The fact you think we can't grasp what you're all about is asinine.

buzzsaw wrote:

Different.  And right about now I'm thinking that's in our favor.

Arrogance and ignorance personified.

Just bolding the irony.  lol

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

You don't want us to have guns. I say again, too bad.

Have all the guns you want then.

Why stop at 350 million, go for it, own some more, go for 700 million...see if the rest of the world "doesn't want you to own guns"..as if we care.....hell own one for me too please...maybe 5 or 6 around the house for each evo member...will keep you safer.....I couldn't give a shit how many guns you have.

Arm up teachers, taxi drivers, supermarkets, have a dude with a gun at every intersection, someone in every room of every public building armed...then enjoy the wonderful free society you've made...sure a trip down the street will look worse than communist russia...but you know...you're all so much safer by arming up everything and everyone....because guns don't hurt anyone...it's only people and mental illness that does that.

But guess what...it's not "too bad" for us...we're not the ones making threads crying about our children who were....surprise...SHOT....

Too bad for your kids that you can't see fucking sense in this generation or probably the next few.

Enjoy your guns.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Again, what's your solution, monkey? Not that that wasn't entertaining...

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Dude...I'm the first to admit it's a complex problem and it's not going to be a quick fix...but I think there does need to be a fix....and the first step in my mind would be getting over these entry level arguments people have...

...things like "a gun doesn't kill someone, a person does" or "we will always have to have legal guns here because we always have" or "there are currently a lot of guns so nothing can ever change for the whole of time"...and "only the baddies are hurt by guns" and "some violence is inevitable so the solution is to arm everything up higher so the goodies also can kick ass"....

To me those are all clearly false, and it's a waste of time that we always get bogged down arguing over, so the intelligent minds in society never get onto actually tackling the problem....

I would assume it needs a multi-pronged approach...you're correct that the underlying issues of poverty, culture, mental illness would also need to be addressed, but I think these things could be looked at in tandem with strategies to reduce the level of guns over the next few decades, things like stoping new guns being made/imported, stopping supply of ammunition, legalised buy-backs and surrender programs, very strict no-gun enforcement laws on anyone caught with a gun...it's not going to happen over night that's for sure...not with 350m guns or whatever...but over generations it will happen...eventually access to guns would be become hard like it is everywhere else....obviously with resources and planning you could come up with a much more sophisticated approach than i'm saying here...but it's a discussion that has to happen one day or you end up with an endgame where everyone walks around armed all day to protect each other from everyone else. it's the only solution that's not madness.

Anyway, if you think i'm full of shit maybe we should agree to disagree, don't mean to be telling you what to do with your country, it's just to people who've grown up without these weapons - the situation resembles someone walking around naked complaining that they're cold but steadfastly refusing clothes wink It's just logic to me...have more guns than people and gun violence is going to happen....

Sorry if I've been aggressive in this thread...been having a tough couple of days...and probably got a bit wound up.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

By dismissing things that are at the very least partially true as clearly false, you have no hope of contributing to the solution.

Board footer