You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: AXL ROSE Reportedly Close to Losing Lawsuit Against ACTIVISION For Fea

RussTCB wrote:

removed

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Well I can't really fault someone for not being smart enough to know how you should act publicly, but that's not living in the past. That's addressing what he considers a present problem, the image of him as the bad guy in the whole GN'R thing. Obviously he's been far from delicate about that whole issue, but he's not doing anything different than any other member. He's trying to make himself look good. To get out what he considers the true part of the story. Being his problems with the media he sometimes chooses venues like this to vent his feelings.

Not particularly suave, but he's not living in the past. Though without doubt he is still affected by it. If you want to see what someone who can't move on looks like we have a certain drummer as a very good illustration.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I honestly think the key to everyone moving on should be musical.

Take RIR3 in 2000 or whenever it was....I was watching Axl....missing slash...freaking out about Axl's voice....worried about the look of bucket and robin....THEN THEY PLAYED MADAGASCAR.....and the future seemed bright....it's a beautiful song and shows what Axl could still do by himself.

These days at GNR I'm hoping for TWAT or Scrapped more than an ISE, or Estranged. It's not cos CD is better or worse it's cos it's fresher...it's (closer to) the current line up..it's natural for those songs not to have Slash. And this would increase more with a new album.

Likewise when I go to Slash's show these days...freaky as it sounds I'm hanging for Anastasia...and maybe hoping for a deep AL cut like Carolina.

I think the best way to move-on from Slash is to reduce the focus on the stuff you did with him, it's what Slash himself does to move on from Axl...sure he still plays the usual suspects...but there's so much other stuff too now.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Just checking from the last show he played 6 songs from CD. It's not uncommon for it to be 8-10. A pretty reasonable representation for a fifth album, especially considering the incredible catalogue they already have.

It's also a GN'R show. People come expecting to hear old songs as much as new, mostly more. I mean, what do you want him to do, he's just got 1 album out with this new incarnation. Sure he could play The General or whatever, but personally I'm glad he doesn't. Listening to The Blues and Madagascar for years in shitty live recordings totally ruined the album experience. If it's gone take another 5 years to get something out I'll be glad if it's at least fresh.

Personally if I'd go to a GN'R show I'd expect to hear GN'R music. I don't expect to hear unreleased stuff, for obvious reasons. If it's unreleased it's usually because it's not ready.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

May have been pulling teeth but God Damn look at the results u got on NR and Estranged. Greatest of all time level guitar work.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I mean, what do you want him to do, he's just got 1 album out with this new incarnation.

Well aside from the issue of there only being one album...which is probably the major hurdle in terms of reinvention.....the problem to me is it's nearly always the same cuts from CD that get played.

The title track has been played live 243 times, Better has been played 258 Times, street of dreams 301 times...by contrast If the World has been played only 28 Times, There was a Time only 13 times, Scraped only 12 times, Oh My God 4 times.....prostitute only twice.....

Obviously he has to play GNR tracks at a GNR show....but if you want the audience to move on from the UYI era...make new music...and if you can only make 15 songs without Slash....maybe playing the 2/3 of the album you ignore most of the time would be an idea....

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Thing is Slash is all over 80% of the material Axl chooses to play in concert. Probably 95% or higher of his audience is there because of the past material that Slash  was a part of. Axl kept the name Guns N' Roses and surprisingly Slash was in that band and was as big a part of it as Axl is.  Yet Axl wants people to forget about Slash and the past? His new band can't move forward if we all still associate Slash with Guns N' Roses?  Motherfucker hasn't done anything to even remotely make that possible. By now the guy should have enough material that the only songs from th Slash era GnR that should be played consistently are Jungle, PC, SCOM & NR. The rest he could rotate in and out of the set. Nobody was ever going to forget Slash but if Axl says he wanted to take it to the next level, as he did in that rant he sure missed the mark.

I've said this before but if you gave me 10 million dollars and 10 years with nothing else to do(no day job) I could learn to play guitar adequately enough, surround myself with talented muscians and bring a kickass album to fruition. For a musical "genius" and  for a guy who wanted everyone to move on with him he's basically done fuck all in almost 20 years. How are people supposed to move on from the Slash era when the new era hasn't even begun basically? Ho many fans wanted Axl to succeed and were so behid the idea of a new Guns N' Roses only to over time get sick of the inactvity that a reunion became more of a realistc hope for fans. I was one of those fans. Wanted so bdly for new Guns N' Roses to take off and was ok with Slash not being there but after a while... after a fucking decade I got sick of it and thought stop screwing around wit a cover band of a cover band and just reunite withthe old guys if the plan is to live off their legacy every night and shove notalgia down our throats. Especially if they're gonna shove it down our throats and then complain that fans won't move on. The whole thing is so twisted and fucked up. It really is.

Axl said in that clip that we as fans have been lied to and manipulated. He's right. Only thing is it's Axl fucking Rose who lied to and maipulated the fans, not the guys he's ranting about.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

The  million dollar question is "Does Axl feel that his band can write anything that means something to him?"
The last two years would say not.
Most tour cycles would be long ended by now unless you are a nostalgia act where new albums are curios picked up by your hardcores and the bills get paid on tour playing the hits.

The thing is now, it would never be a better time to put the old guys together for one last time to create a double album. Play on the creative tensions between the parties by having each side committ 100% to working on the other guys tunes. You get an album full of Axl tunes with his style and an album full of rockers done by Duff, Izzy & Slash. At this stage, what the fuck would there be to loose...their legacy??? PTFFF

This double album would actually give fans everything from bar brawl boogie from Slash to long brooding cinematic songs from Axl and all in between. Every GNR fan would get something. Then head out on tour, play the shit out of it with 15 tunes from the old days then retire GNR for good. Fuck the legacy and the critics, just give us your best shot and respect the other guys vision.

My Bloody Valentine are back after 12 years of writing one album and by all appearances their fans are back in their droves.
If only someone could talk sense into those GNR prima donnas.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The shows could definitely be more varied, but in the end that's a hard core concern. I own a couple of AC/DC records, a somewhat casual fan. When I go I wanna hear the 4-5 you know whats, other than that I don't really care. So though Axl could definitely do better it's not unusual or necessarily bad to have a safe/lazy set list.

I mean, I've given up on anything functioning normally in an Axl Rose project by now. CD wasn't great but had some great songs. Good enough for me to want to hear more. When or if that happens I have no idea, but until then I just take it as it is. A royal trainwreck that tends to go tits up more often than not, but with the potential for some great musical moment by the sheer presence of the front man. I know I'm not the only one who listened to subpar recordings of The Blues and Madagascar on headphones for years, thinking this is beyond the shit. And that's why you keep coming back for more. He's like a dealer without product, but he's the only dealer in town so you still gotta see him, just in case.

For all the fuckupedness in relation to fans, albums and live shows you still at least have that aspect of it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Listen CD was a decent album but overall axl had pretty shitty guitar riffs to work with. Ron is a great cover guitarist but I think his creativity is limited.  Dj may make gnr sound close.

Catcher is NR without Slash. His absence is huge on that one

Board footer