You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: AXL ROSE Reportedly Close to Losing Lawsuit Against ACTIVISION For Fea

RussTCB wrote:

removed

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Just noting that the tour started late in 2009 in Asia. I've seen them in March 2010. But all your points are correct, Russ.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

But then that ties in with the choice of tracks too.

Like you're right that the tour has only been officially going from 2009, but when the handful of new-era songs they do are usually CD, SOD, Maddy or Better....they're songs that were also played heavily in 2006 prior to the albums release, and in the case of the first couple, in 2002 and 2001 as well.

So at my show next month - the most likely CD songs to be played have been played live for at least 7 years, and in the cases of the really likely to be played CD songs - 12 years, then there's the AFD and UYI stuff which is even older of course.

This is why I always go on about that Tokyo show in 2009. That was a fucking kickass show. Axl sang with rasp, and the band varied things from the standard show. They didn't only play Street of Dreams - they busted out If The World (which sounded fucking amazing with Axl's rasp live) and Scrapped - which Frank had added a killer drum opening to. It was fucking some great shit. Sell me a proshot of that and you won't hear a negative peep from my mouth. The whole show from the crazy length to the deep cuts from CD said "we've now released the album, we're moving on as a band from the UYI era and the play AFD while we work on CD era". Unfortunately it didn't last.

When the audience screamed for new content - they busted out Estranged...which is nice and all..but it's a song we grew up watching Slash in the videoclip of and marvelling at his tone. This is why i think if the band wants us to "move on" they really have to do something about content. Obviously there's some GNR hits that would always need to be played....but at the moment too much focus is on the songs Slash made famous...and for reasons unknown nearly 2/3 of CD is ignored....and it's mostly the same every time. You know you could predict the setlist at my show next month with 95% accuracy right now...

That's why people complain it's a cover show, as people aren't given a whole lot to focus on except the Slash era of GNR...and the current shows feel like recreations of each other and the UYI tour. This doesn't happen at a Slash show...because even though he plays quite a few AFD/UYI songs himself...he's got 6 albums of other originals to distract people - and while there's a pattern to the list and certain things always show up - there's also enough variety to create at least a perception that it's not all set in stone.

Anyway, I'm not meaning to be negative, Axl can so what he does, but like how people often think about an Ex until they get a new relationship....if Axl really wants people to accept this GNR properly...we need content to do so.

The question is why does it take so long. Does he lack confidence? Is it just he's not as inspired as he once was? Are they're health/happiness issues? Is there an anxiety issue or something?

I have no idea. But it does seem forced the way the shows are similar to each other and the general pace of things. Makes me wonder if something else is going on behind the scenes.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Hopefully they're doing it to raise cash for an album. Axl says he doesn't like touring, so it's a bit strange with all these shows past few years. The 02 and 06 tours were very different. New songs, interviews. He did say the years after releasing CD had been some of the toughest in his life, so there's definitely something going on behind the scenes.

As usual we don't know what that is or how "legitimate" the problems are. I still choose to believe his intention is to get something out, if for no other reason than he said it was.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I think it is too.

And DJ and people like that often talk about the hope for new material....surely they'd be told to stop if there was a definite ban on it.

Also...Axl's timelines are kinda slow...but most of the stuff he says will happen does eventually happen...just years after he said it would....like the album came out eventually....NA tour happened eventually etc....

Leads me to think one day CD2 will come out.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah I think it is too.

And DJ and people like that often talk about the hope for new material....surely they'd be told to stop if there was a definite ban on it.

Also...Axl's timelines are kinda slow...but most of the stuff he says will happen does eventually happen...just years after he said it would....like the album came out eventually....NA tour happened eventually etc....

Leads me to think one day CD2 will come out.

Hopefully not another decade of waiting and nobody in the band leaves.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

We're approaching half a decade fast, and 1 lead guitarist has already left. big_smile

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

On the other hand, no-one's left since Robin.

The curse of Paul Huge has finally been lifted. smile

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

As long as Tommy stays. He's currently the only one keeping Axl from having lost two full bands.

I'm thinking some of the "delay" could have something to do with both Finck and BH not being there anymore. Especially Fincks departure seem to have kept stuff like the Better video from being released. If he is serious about trying to legitimize the current band he might want enough of their input on a follow up so that they can feature in videos and actually do some interviews with conviction. Then hopefully we get to hear the rest of the CD sessions at some point.

-D- wrote:

Listen CD was a decent album but overall axl had pretty shitty guitar riffs to work with. Ron is a great cover guitarist but I think his creativity is limited.  Dj may make gnr sound close.

Catcher is NR without Slash. His absence is huge on that one

It's BH and Finck. They don't really do riffs the way Slash does. CD is maybe the only standard rocker on the album and those riffs are pretty good. Same with OMG which sadly didn't make the cut.

Can't agree about Catcher. That solo is one of my favorites and I don't miss May one bit.

But you're right there aren't many gnr esque riffs on CD. Which is probably for the better since no one can replicate Slash in that department. Don't think Axl is too keen on trying to make balls to the wall rock n roll records anymore either. In terms of hard songs we're looking at Shackler type stuff, maybe some industrial stuff in the vein of OMG.

Board footer