You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

Bono wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Bono wrote:

I just don't feel it suits the vibe of the song. Nightrain is a badass rocker and Axl's voice is  loaded with venom then Buckethead plays a solo that sounds like you're frolicking in a field on a  sunny afternoon chasing butterflies with your girlfiend when you were 12 years old. It's too sentmental the way he plays it. I've never liked it.

I never got the love affair with bucket 's Nightrain solo either. Another thing that tends to freak people out is that I don't get why his Madagascar solo at RIR3 was supposed to be so great.

Agreed. I never saw the greatness in it myself. Mind you am not impressed with his solo on TWAT either. Maybe this thing called feeling and tone that peope talk about is real 16 doesn't matter how technical a guy is if you're not feeling it you're not feeling it. Some do and that's great but I don't. The two best solos on CD in my opinion are Robin's sublime mini solo in Better near the end of the song and his solo on This I love. Bucket did nothing for me in Gn'R and whatever he did on CD is completely forgettable in my opinion.

johndivney wrote:

Twat aside, Bh on Nightrain & Maddy r prob the two greatest GnR moments post-classic line-up. Sublime stuffup there w/the greatest GnR performances/songs. Such a sad waste.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Bono wrote:

I just don't feel it suits the vibe of the song. Nightrain is a badass rocker and Axl's voice is  loaded with venom then Buckethead plays a solo that sounds like you're frolicking in a field on a  sunny afternoon chasing butterflies with your girlfiend when you were 12 years old. It's too sentmental the way he plays it. I've never liked it.

I'm the same on this...I couldn't explain it....frankly I like shred guitar and you have to respect bucket's chops..but...while what he plays is cool in a "I wish I was playing that in front of people way"...it's like the original solo fits the story of the song more.

Something about the way slash would alternate from the huge bends to the runs of faster notes added to the feeling of recklessness and out of control - of not wanting to die but having to live that way - it's sort of the guitar solo's contribution to the themes that the lyrics are about.

What bucket plays is kickass in a "phor that guy can play" way - but it doesn't tell the story in the same manner.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

And on the subject of Slash's work versus Axl's work – I get the feeling that Axl strives for excellence, where Slash is willing to settle.

Hmm...people often say that. I'm not so sure.

There's nothing settled about Slash's chops today compared to how he played 10 years ago. If he was as lazy as people make out I'm not sure that would be the case at all. I think some of it might just be stylistic preference...slash enjoys playing rockers because they're fun to play - where as many fans just want him to do big emotional solos like in the ballads.

But if you don't strive for excellence you don't convert your playing from ISE solo level to Anastasia.

Another thing is that many of the GNR songs would be just as "bland" as Snakepit without Axl. Perfect Crime, Right Next Door to Hell....guitar wise they would fit right in. It's not that slash needs a great front man to inspire him - it's that he's worked with frontmen who are not that great - but even in those songs the part Slash actually wrote tends to be at the same type of standard as it would have been in GNR if you divorce the lyrics from the guitar.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

For the life of me, I can't picture Axl digging anything like what's here.

That could be a hold up.

That's an interesting idea.

And I'm not saying it to bash DJ - he's guitar ideas can make pretty good rock stuff like in Sixx:Am....

But the question is does Axl want to do rock stuff?

It seemed like one of the major issues he had writing with slash after UYI was that he just wasn't inspired getting guitar based songs "dumped" on him.

It's obvious listening to Chinese Democracy that most of the songs have their genesis away from the guitar - in a synth line - or a melody - or a rhythm or some kind of hook - and the guitars are added to solo and to accompany the other pre-existing song ideas. They're not guitar led songs in the way of a Paradise City etc

Think about how Axl said a true solo album might be more instrumental. I think he writes but he's more into melodies and orchestra and stuff than writing classic rock songs.

I think he might be in a bind - he needed a DJ to be able to replicate the slash heavy back catalogue for live shows - and to do that well you need a classic rock emulator....but I'm not at all sure his other songs in the vault are suited to classic rock style or that he'd want to sit down and write a classic rock album of guitar numbers.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

For the life of me, I can't picture Axl digging anything like what's here.

That could be a hold up.

That's an interesting idea.

And I'm not saying it to bash DJ - he's guitar ideas can make pretty good rock stuff like in Sixx:Am....

But the question is does Axl want to do rock stuff?

It seemed like one of the major issues he had writing with slash after UYI was that he just wasn't inspired getting guitar based songs "dumped" on him.

It's obvious listening to Chinese Democracy that most of the songs have their genesis away from the guitar - in a synth line - or a melody - or a rhythm or some kind of hook - and the guitars are added to solo and to accompany the other pre-existing song ideas. They're not guitar led songs in the way of a Paradise City etc

Think about how Axl said a true solo album might be more instrumental. I think he writes but he's more into melodies and orchestra and stuff than writing classic rock songs.

I think he might be in a bind - he needed a DJ to be able to replicate the slash heavy back catalogue for live shows - and to do that well you need a classic rock emulator....but I'm not at all sure his other songs in the vault are suited to classic rock style or that he'd want to sit down and write a classic rock album of guitar numbers.

I think Axl needs to write a soundtrack. At its best, his music is cinematic. And if he needs a hand with the orchestrations (and November Rain suggests he doesn't) there are always collaborators like Marco Beltrami.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Twat aside, Bh on Nightrain & Maddy r prob the two greatest GnR moments post-classic line-up. Sublime stuffup there w/the greatest GnR performances/songs. Such a sad waste.

Absolutely agree. He totally reinvented that solo, he didn't copy it. That's the GN'R I wanted to hear more of. And I loved the fact he changed up the Maddy solo almost every night.

And DJ doesn't sound like Slash, imo. I don't think he needed DJ to replicate Slash, I think he needed a "name" and someone who was interested in being in GN'R. This goes for Ron and DJ, I don't see them meshing with Axl.

And if someone brings Axl a good guitar riff or a good synth line to write a song, I doubt he prefers one over the other.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Who said anything about SCOM.

You have this shit ass backwards.

The place where the songwriting is ALMOST NON-EXISTANT is GNR.

When did they write a new song last? 2008? When is the next album due 2016? What has the even done since 1993? ONE RECORD?

The place where the song writing doesn't exist is GNR, it's the band that's been unable to do anything but do live shows for the better part of two decades now.

30-40 songs, 15 of which we've heard. Judging by the quality of those likely there are some gems among the leftovers too. And even if those 15 songs are all we ever get to hear it's still on par (I'd say it crushes it) with Slash' 6 major albums. Who cares if he puts out 40+ songs you never want to hear again.

Hey, nobody's denying Axl is a fucking train wreck when it comes to almost anything, but still his creative output manages to be more impressive.

I like Axl more than most people but I'm sick of the need to run down the ex-members to justify Axl's problems.

Got nothing to do with justifying his problems, it's got to do with what you prefer. Amiable, on time and productive but with a shit output, or epic train wreck with the potential for a handful of memorable songs? I don't know about you but I'm in it for the music. Not live shows, not interviews, not an annual christmas record or a cash gig with LL Cool J on MTV.

The other members have put out a TON of great music and lived full musical careers outside of GNR while Axl remains crippled by psychological problems that causes the endless drama and bullshit list of people who've "wronged" the band...prevents him from achieving the greatness he once had, seemingly makes it impossible to release even a morsel of his creativity in terms of new music....and seems to have to be coaxed into doing even the smallest of changes to the live show.

A ton? Really? Let me see your playlist. Snakepit 1 and Contraband are far and above and they have maybe 3 good to very good songs each. Even that is cutting them some slack considering how laughable the singers are.

Rest is true, not denying that.

You can pretend stuff like Anastasia isn't good guitar if you want to, but if Axl or Izzy had sung over the same shit in 1993 we'd all be jacking off to it.

A pretty big if! That'd be like saying your meal would have been great had Gordon Ramsay cooked it. And let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Anastasia benefits from being one of only a few highlights in the desert of generity that is Apocalyptic Love (say cheese!). The intro is catchy enough but I'm certainly not getting my dick out. After that we have a few minutes of Mylesiocrity with nothing all too exciting going on in the background. And you act like I don't know what a good Slash solo sounds like. He's my favorite player in the genre, but definitely not because of anything he does on this song. Adding sweat to get a little extra length actually applies well here. Basically he's phoning it in. Like he came up with a decent riff, did some standard stuff on the verses and felt the need to plaster on a solo without having any real drive for what that should be.

And that's "his best work in years". 3

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You can pretend stuff like Anastasia isn't good guitar if you want to, but if Axl or Izzy had sung over the same shit in 1993 we'd all be jacking off to it.

Not me. If GN'R recorded that song in 93 it would embody everything that I feared GN'R would have turned into had the original guys stayed together. I guess this is my NT solo, where I just don't understand the fascination some of you guys have with this song.

Board footer