You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think Bucket and Robin were the ones that really lit his inspirational fire. Losing them was more devastating than I think anyone ever figured. I'm still convinced he's still holding out (even if it's just hope) for one or both to come back to the fold.

You forgot to mention Paul Tobias, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Most songs on CD have collaborations between Tobias, Finck and Axl or Tobias and Axl. Bucket's were with Brain and Axl.

The argument of not having anything to release only holds still if they are to ignore the vault completely. They could drop a song that's already written every leg of the tour. If they don't or can't through the label, leak the damn songs using the forums.

Completely agree with this standpoint. Say what you want about Tobias; but looking from the release of CD he had alot to do with the songwriting and tried to help and encourage Axl with recording as best he could with the circumstances.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

BH and Finck were great, but let's not forget they only had 2 or so writing credits on the album. CD was an Axl/Tobias effort, and I don't see why he can't still contribute (or Izzy) in that department. I think also maybe Dizzy had more credits than those 2?

Besides, 30 songs were completed years ago. If it is true that Axl can't do shit with Bumble and DJ he always has the option of releasing that in some form.

I'm really, really hoping it's the label or something this time. If we're gonna wait for a brand new album....

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

BH and Finck were great, but let's not forget they only had 2 or so writing credits on the album.

More.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

BH and Finck were great, but let's not forget they only had 2 or so writing credits on the album.

More.

Never knew about that. Good for Robin.

Edit: Reading through that thread I see ASCAP doesn't really know something we don't, they just give credits for what the different players play. If you do a solo you get a credit with them, but that doesn't mean you created the song.

It's a lot easier to add to something that's already there. And by what Bumble did on CD I think it could work out ok if someone like Tobias, Izzy, Tommy or even Dizzy and Pitman are there with Axl on the ground floor.

axlgod
 Rep: 16 

axlgod wrote:

I would chew my own arms off to see buckethead back in gnr.
Do you know what.......I think axl would as well.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Axl can't cover his own songs. Axl is Gnr at this point.....they are Gnr. Just a version you don't like. Just my two. I've grown tired of this Gnr as well.

Are fucking kidding me?! The last part of my post said I want them to do something and pointed to how talented they are. At what point did I say I don't like this band? I'm so sick of people on this board telling me I don't like this band because I question what the fuck they're doing. It's such bullshit because I've never once said that or even alluded to that.  In fact I've long said this band kicks ass.  In fact I think I was the first one years ago to say they should get rid of the singer and actually put out an album if he doesn't want to. Never have I said I don't like the band. Wish some of you would drop that shit.

@ Russ: There's a big difference between asking what this band has actually done to warrent being Guns N' Roses  and saying they aren't Guns N' Roses. I know they are Gn'R so do something to warrent it other than tour other people's music.  And when people point to this version of the band as their favourite band I ask why and how? What have they done to be anyone's favourite?

Sky Dog wrote:

my bad....didn't really mean it that way MacPhisto...wasn't talking about you in particular....maybe it's me that doesn't like this version of the band

and ps...I very much enjoyed the shows I went to with this version...just don't find them interesting as a unit. 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

More.

Never knew about that. Good for Robin.

Edit: Reading through that thread I see ASCAP doesn't really know something we don't, they just give credits for what the different players play. If you do a solo you get a credit with them, but that doesn't mean you created the song.

It's a lot easier to add to something that's already there. And by what Bumble did on CD I think it could work out ok if someone like Tobias, Izzy, Tommy or even Dizzy and Pitman are there with Axl on the ground floor.

The majority of the songs came from ideas put together by Axl, Mother Goose, Paul, Tommy, Dizzy, Robin (and Josh Freese to a point) before they even went into the studio and were fleshed out. Those guys defintely brought in stuff that made those songs. Axl pointed out Robin's guitar parts helped structure his vocal parts in TWAT, like the ending screams, etc. So it goes deeper than just writing a song, even a single guitar part could inspire Axl, like Josh's contribution to CD.   

Bucket and Brain operated on their own from what I can tell and their songs were tacked on to CD (Sorry, Scraped and Shacklers) so there's no teling what's left of their work. The 30 some odd songs people talk about are the songs that are completed, not the songs that haven't been recorded or fully fleshed out, which is what Tommy mentioned that he wanted to sort through for the next songwriting sessions... Whenever that happens.

They have over an album worth of material. Put that out. There's no need for another writing session right now. And in the MSL stuff, wasn't Axl really annoyed with Ron for dismissing the other music from the Chinese sessions?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

(bah, this turned out way longer than I planned)

I think their contributions have been vital too, and for them to be credited with that by ASCAP is totally fair. Still, adding a great solo or a fill needs a foundation. So I wouldn't say Robin for example really wrote 6 songs on CD (as the linked thread proposed), but he did contribute to 6.

Apart from BH nobody in the band have really done anything remarkable creatively outside of GN'R. I'd propose the same to be true for the old band after they left. Ok you have Slither which I'd easily consider the ex members best work since 91, but that song competes with something like Pretty Tied Up or Out Ta Get Me, not YCBM or Jungle. One of the reasons of course is the unique voice of Axl, but it's not the main one. What they're lacking is that little extra in structure, arrangements and vocal melodies. The ability to sniff out a song, to find the perfect hook at the perfect time.

Truly great bands usually have two guys like this. Lennon/McCartney (Harrison probably belongs too, so that's three), Jagger/Richards (you might include Taylor since their best work was done with him), Page/Plant, Waters/Barrett. In Gn'R it was Axl/Izzy and "these days" you could say Tobias is one since he seems to play such a large part on CD despite being a rythm guitarist who hasn't even been mentioned in connection to the band since 02.

Slash is David Gilmour. Integral part of a great band, contributing to and being indispensable to some fantastic work. After Waters left however he was nothing. Even having the two other remaining original members there to help him, both of which have writing credit on some of the best Floyd songs, the two albums he was fronting wasn't even close to being Floyd. On the other hand, The Wall in which Waters received something like 99% of the royalties was Floyd to the core. Different, but very much in the proper vein of the band.

Likewise I consider CD to be "real" Guns in that the proper care and subtlety have been taken in structuring the songs, albeit with mostly different (and at times you could say inferior) players. In that sense I'm not all that worried that Thal or DJ is going to give us some shitty Poision esque album. Either they'll deliver or they'll be rejected and possibly replaced. Still, the focus should definitely be on getting out the remainder of the CD sessions. You just don't waste the talent of BH and Finck like that. I think we might be looking at a mix, to include the new guys. Maybe give em 4 or 5 songs on top of what's already there. How easy that's going to be accomplished in GN'R land is another matter of course.

Board footer