You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: GNR played Acoustic gig for Tommy Hilfiger in CA

Riad wrote:

There was GNR materila on snakepit 1. I would love to have heard axl on neither can I and beggars and hangers on. Beggars would be a classic rock tune right now  (of the sweet home alabama kind) if Axl sang on it

There's a lot of this "such-and-such a song would be a classic if Axl sang on it," but we just don't know. Because the lyrics and melodies would be completely different. I mean, in the case of By the Sword, the chorus chord structure was changed by Andrew Stockdale, so it'd be a different song musically, too.

Sky Dog wrote:

that snakepit album is awful....By The Sword is a good tune and is better than everything on either snakepit album...jmo

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

that snakepit album is awful....By The Sword is a good tune and is better than everything on either snakepit album...jmo

That Snakepit album is better than anything by any of them past 1991.  tongue

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I really like the first Snakepit album, but it came out in a time where everybody was thirsty for new GNR songs and to have Slash, Matt and Gilby was enough at the time. I remember having all the solo albums with me around 97, Izzy's, Slash's, Gilby's and Duff's and thinking: "Ok, that's god enough until the guys release a new album"...

So I am kinda attached to 5 O' Clock Somewhere, Juju Hounds, Pawnshop Guitars and Believe In Me.

But looking critically to it, Snakepit 1 has some good IDEAS that didn't turned out good songs, except a couple of tunes. Believe In Me was a mess and only 10 Years, by Duff and Gilby is worth a listen nowadays. Juju Hounds and other Izzy albums are, for me good songs that could've turned out great with Axl and Slash. Gilby's one is good but lacks ambition and falls into cock rock too much for my taste.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

That Snakepit album is better than anything by any of them past 1991.  tongue

It's not better than Apocalyptic Love or Chinese Democracy and, for my taste, it's not better than any Izzy solo album.

Lomax wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Riad wrote:

There was GNR materila on snakepit 1. I would love to have heard axl on neither can I and beggars and hangers on. Beggars would be a classic rock tune right now  (of the sweet home alabama kind) if Axl sang on it

There's a lot of this "such-and-such a song would be a classic if Axl sang on it," but we just don't know. Because the lyrics and melodies would be completely different. I mean, in the case of By the Sword, the chorus chord structure was changed by Andrew Stockdale, so it'd be a different song musically, too.

That's assuming that the, chord structures are what make the music great. That may be the case with some bands like the Ramones where it's all about hard hitting chord structures, but it wouldn't matter a shit with GNR because GNR is about the sound of Axl's voice and the emotion he expresses with the tone of Slash's guitar and the emotion that expresses. They could be playing 2 chords over and over or baroque masterpiece and it's still the sound of that voice and that guitar together that make the music great. The proof of that for me is this:

That piece of music was selo-taped together from two random sources, and the match of voice and guitar tone just fucking exceeds either songs original version (with the exception of Buckets amazing Solo on ITW). There is no one out there listening to GNR for their chord structures.

For the record here. I'm talking about old guns I personally love Chinese Democracy and enjoy the current lineup a lot. I would say my fav GNR songs are Better and IRS then Brownstone. I'm talking about Old Gnr here. I think had Slash given those songs to Axl they would have been pure gold and I base that conclusion of the mix above of a VR song with Axl's awesome vocal over it and I think that's fair enough to be honest.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Riad wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Riad wrote:

That's assuming that the, chord structures are what make the music great. That may be the case with some bands like the Ramones where it's all about hard hitting chord structures, but it wouldn't matter a shit with GNR because GNR is about the sound of Axl's voice and the emotion he expresses with the tone of Slash's guitar and the emotion that expresses. They could be playing 2 chords over and over or baroque masterpiece and it's still the sound of that voice and that guitar together that make the music great. The proof of that for me is this:

That piece of music was selo-taped together from two random sources, and the match of voice and guitar tone just fucking exceeds either songs original version (with the exception of Buckets amazing Solo on ITW). There is no one out there listening to GNR for their chord structures.

For the record here. I'm talking about old guns I personally love Chinese Democracy and enjoy the current lineup a lot. I would say my fav GNR songs are Better and IRS then Brownstone. I'm talking about Old Gnr here. I think had Slash given those songs to Axl they would have been pure gold and I base that conclusion of the mix above of a VR song with Axl's awesome vocal over it and I think that's fair enough to be honest.

But I'm not just talking about chord structures. I'm talking about lyrics and melody. It's easy to say that a hypothetical song might be better than what we actually have – because we'll never have the hypothetical song to compare with reality. Who knows what lyrics and vocal melodies Axl might have come up with for Slash's Snakepit songs? Who knows how they would've been altered over the course of rehearsals? Axl might have decided to slap electronic fart noises and orchestras all over Beggars and Hangers-On for all we know.

Lomax wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Riad wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

But I'm not just talking about chord structures. I'm talking about lyrics and melody. It's easy to say that a hypothetical song might be better than what we actually have – because we'll never have the hypothetical song to compare with reality. Who knows what lyrics and vocal melodies Axl might have come up with for Slash's Snakepit songs? Who knows how they would've been altered over the course of rehearsals? Axl might have decided to slap electronic fart noises and orchestras all over Beggars and Hangers-On for all we know.

Yeah so then you're saying it's the lyrics and melody that make the song, same thing. For me it's the sound of slash and axl together that's the most important part and I do know how that sounds.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Those mesh ups don't go well at all, imo.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I personally LOVE that mash up also. For what it is, it sounds so promising,...its the only Axl & Slash I can get these days so I'll take it.
Can't find and Apocolyptic Love / CD mash ups anywhere.. good for curiousity value..

Board footer