You are not logged in. Please register or login.

justbill
 Rep: 16 

Re: Weiland Fired

justbill wrote:

I think it's a pretty shitty way for the band to end, on a sour note. Hurt egos or not, it seems these guys have forgotten who put them on the map... The fans. It sucks for us, the fans who liked and enjoyed their music. From a business perspective, their recent tour didn't profit much. At all. I know a few promoters in both smaller and larger markets and they've said they couldn't fill the venues and probably wouldn't work with the band anytime soon, but never say never. After promoting the hell out of each show, their ticket sales still remained frozen overall. The late starts never helped these guys out for the better, either. So, in some ways, they've brought the bad press upon themselves.

Call me crazy, but if the DeLeo brothers honestly think they can replace Scott on vocals while continuing to use the STP name, is ridiculous. The same would apply if they were to have lost either Eric, Dean or Robert... Each member of the band brought their own specific touch to the band, that of which no one could ever replicate. Without Scott, STP is finished. Time to think of a new name, and go from there. Sure, some bands could keep the name and rediscover popularity again (with luck and if it were done right), however with STP, what other frontman can honestly match up to Scott's level on the bands music (both past and present) or even their live shows for that matter?

I'll always support the guys, no matter what, but STP's done without Weiland on board. It's been a fun ride while it lasted. Until they decide to kiss and make up, I guess it'll look like this for now...

11v15rr.jpg

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If GnR can continue without Slash, I assure you STP could continue without any of those guys and probably at the same relative % that the new band does compared to old GnR.  I like STP, but lets not go too crazy.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If GnR can continue without Slash, I assure you STP could continue without any of those guys and probably at the same relative % that the new band does compared to old GnR.  I like STP, but lets not go too crazy.

I dunno.

To my ears the distinctive parts of GNR were Slash's playing and Axl's voice.

Take either away and "it's not gnr" but it's still going to be 1/2 there and thus identifiable.

Like to me Axl still sounds like Axl on TIL, and Slash sounds like Slash on Anastasia....

But on an album where duff plays bass and no one else is from GNR i'd struggle to ID that it's duff...and I love the guy....I'm just saying the nature of these things is lead singer and lead guitarist focused.

Instrumentally I'm not sure STP is stand-out enough to withstand a new front man.

Axl's voice was so unique he can try and have a new band.

GNR's instrumental sound was so strong that they can get away with being VR with a new guy....

but I'm really not sure enough people would be into STP with no scott....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

*cough* Army of Anyone *cough*

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ Never heard of it? I'm guessing must be STP then?

Edit: Looked it up....:haha:...ok....so i'm ignorant.....

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

i guess you proved your own point lol

its STP minus Scott with the singer from Filter 16

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Sorry I'm pretty ignorant apparently!

Maybe I should check it out.

What is the history of groups getting new singers and moving on?

I can think of RATM who did well as Audioslave by recruiting Cornell....

And of course VR.....

Oh and Ac/Dc

Do people ever do it with unknowns I wonder.

As for STP...I guess maybe I'm not deep enough of a fan...I like them...but to me it's not exceptional enough to really move forward with a new guy - scott is the most watchable in the band to me.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Sorry I'm pretty ignorant apparently!

Maybe I should check it out.

What is the history of groups getting new singers and moving on?

I can think of RATM who did well as Audioslave by recruiting Cornell....

And of course VR.....

Oh and Ac/Dc

Do people ever do it with unknowns I wonder.

Van Halen is the other big one you're missing.

As far as people moving on with unknowns, quite a few bands have done it, but very few were very successful afterward.  Even if what they put out was really good (Motley Crue).

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

van halen is 1 and 1 with new singers lol

alterbridge is creed with Miles on vocals

Unified theory is Blind Melon minus Shannon Hoon

Pearljam is mother love bone with vedder on vocals after Andrew wood died

pink floyd, sabbath, genesis, alice in chains retained success with new singers

When maynard james keenan left a perfect circle they came back as Ashes Divide

motley crue sucked without Vince

faith no more was more famous with patton than their orig vocalist