You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Gn'R Live In London Sat. March 2nd VH1

monkeychow wrote:

I watched it all but kinda got sucked into the performance and enjoyed myself without thinking too much about over dubs.

Can someone direct me to a song where it's prominent and I'll have a more analytical look?

A very high number of live shows are tweaked and fixed before release in some way so occasional overdubs wouldn't really be a crime if it is true.

My off the cuff vibe was that Axl sounded better than any boot i've seen of him in a while, (and I know as I've been concerned about his live voice in recent years - miss the 06/2010 rasp and screams) - but that could be due to this being a pro-release and thus mixed much better than an average live stream / you tube rip etc and it just being a goodnight for him too. But i'll be interested to re-watch it and see if there's any re-dos.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I can say it sounds no different than any other show I've heard on this tour, imo. If they dubbed the thing, they would have dubbed every song. Each song had the usual weak spot. And the editting is just someone trying to be hip.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
smoke wrote:

That may be Russ, but it seems odd that a professional mixer doesn't know when an entire solo is happening.

I agree. I haven't watched the whole thing yet. Is it the same with DJ through the whole show? NR, SCoM and all? The only reason I ask is because if those songs are right, it could support my theory. The mastering guy might know where the solos are in those but not CD or Brownstone.

I couldn't hear DJ's solo on CD, ISE, Brownstone, NR, SCOM, DC, PC. But I could hear all his riffs and rythym parts. I heard every solo of Ron and Richard perfectly.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I can say it sounds no different than any other show I've heard on this tour, imo. If they dubbed the thing, they would have dubbed every song. Each song had the usual weak spot. And the editting is just someone trying to be hip.

Yeah I didn't hear any difference either.  Axl sounds good sometimes, not so good other times.  Every show.  Now sure he has his Rio and Bridge School moments where there's more bad than good, or however you want to describe it.  But I thought he sounded alright at the O2.  Not anything that'd make me say it was obviously touched up.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

WTTJ, It's So Easy, Brownstone seem to have some moments in question where his mouth doesn't match with vocals and where he sounds strong as fuck at times, like live era strong.  End of Brownstone he starts to get weaker.  You could be mine, this may have even more mysterious camera work than wttj and its so easy...  When camera is on him, he is pure Micky mouse. His weakness on this song make me suspicious of ISE and WTTJ. However by the end of YCBM, he is Much stronger, and that final scream sounds like a totally different voice than the 4 minutes leading up to that. And notice, camera wasn't on him for that scream.

SCOM, another iconic song, Axl is hardly filmed from the front. His voice is very similar to the 1999 live era overdub voice. When filmed from front, it's very, very brief. He is stronger here than YCBM.  I can hear DJ in the scom solo though. But at the end of the song Axl sounds his worse.

Conclusion, at times he sounds awesome. At times not great. Do I know if he over dubbed?  No. But the first 3-4 songs sound nothing like the rest, but SCOM did magically get better. Just odd.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I just think if they were going to touch it up, they could've done a much better job.  I don't see why it'd be so inconsistent.  Again, I know that sounds crazy with how things are run with this band but still.  Doesn't make sense to me.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I think wttj and scom are too iconic so maybe they did some stuff here and there on that one?!!!

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

WTTJ, It's So Easy, Brownstone seem to have some moments in question where his mouth doesn't match with vocals and where he sounds strong as fuck at times, like live era strong.  End of Brownstone he starts to get weaker.  You could be mine, this may have even more mysterious camera work than wttj and its so easy...  When camera is on him, he is pure Micky mouse. His weakness on this song make me suspicious of ISE and WTTJ. However by the end of YCBM, he is Much stronger, and that final scream sounds like a totally different voice than the 4 minutes leading up to that. And notice, camera wasn't on him for that scream.

SCOM, another iconic song, Axl is hardly filmed from the front. His voice is very similar to the 1999 live era overdub voice. When filmed from front, it's very, very brief. He is stronger here than YCBM.  I can hear DJ in the scom solo though. But at the end of the song Axl sounds his worse.

Conclusion, at times he sounds awesome. At times not great. Do I know if he over dubbed?  No. But the first 3-4 songs sound nothing like the rest, but SCOM did magically get better. Just odd.

All due respect SG, what you describe could just be a matter of hitting his stride during certain songs in the set, or choosing to sing with different tones or more in his head voice during certain songs in the set, and getting sufficient breath support at some points during a particular song (YCBM) rather than at others.

Ali

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

That is fair.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Interesting.

I'll have a good listen to it later.

If the first few songs are stronger it could be an example of him naturally coming out strong then running out of gas vocally after a few songs and the rest of the set taking it easier on his voice?

As for the editing, if they just avoid showing Axl much, that could be an attempt from the editor to make people stop focusing on the voice in the passages it's bad, although - if it sounds good when he's not shown and bad when he is then that would make me raise an eyebrow.

Will be interested to check it out tonight.

TBH - my gut feeling is that even if he did overdub - if that's what it takes to make a cool otherwise live video then so be it...still got cool pro-shot footage of a gig and the tar parts and everything as they happen live....to be honest at this stage I'd rather have a "touched up" live show where Axl kicks ass - sings with rasp and power and does justice to the songs - than a 100% honest warts and all version where it makes me sad that the songs don't sound "right" to me anymore or where i'm embarrassed to show friends cos there's such a change from the glory days or even the powerhouse 2006 days. Not trying to be a dick...I'm just saying I'll enjoy the show a lot more if Axl's vocals sound on form....and if that needs some touching up these days then bring it on....rather that than a "bad" show.

Board footer