You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: Curious Sorry/Shackler mention

Son of a Gun wrote:

GNR always was about experimenting and evolution. If bands don`t evolve their sound, music becomes stale, uninspired and ultimately sucks ass hence AC/DC, Motorhead among others.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

GNR always was about experimenting and evolving their sound. If bands don`t evolve their sound, music becomes stale, uninspired and ultimately sucks ass hence AC/DC, Motorhead among others.

Yeah, that's why Motorhead and AC/DC are doing so poorly these days... 14

Nothing wrong with evolving a bands sound. Just like AFD evolved to UYI. But evolving to the point where you go so left friend that you alienate the majority of your fan base isn't a good thing.

But then given that you think every other band you don't like "sucks ass" I find it hard to take your opinion seriously anyway... 19

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

GNR always was about experimenting and evolving their sound. If bands don`t evolve their sound, music becomes stale, uninspired and ultimately sucks ass hence AC/DC, Motorhead among others.

Nothing wrong with evolving a bands sound. Just like AFD evolved to UYI. But evolving to the point where you go so left friend that you alienate the majority of your fan base isn't a good thing.

But then given that you think every other band you don't like "sucks ass" I find it hard to take your opinion seriously anyway... 19

What does this self serving drivel have to do with my post ? You`re grasping at straws here buddy. Someone has mistakenly tricked into believing that I give a shit whether you take my opinions seriously or not. What a bunch of crybabies.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

What does this self serving drivel have to do with my post ? You`re grasping at straws here buddy. Someone has mistakenly tricked into believing that I give a shit whether you take my opinions seriously or not. What a bunch of crybabies.

Self serving? I think not... 14 14 14

I'm just trying to get you to see someone else's opinion other than your own. Especially since it's clear that not everyone here agrees with you and what you think "sucks ass".
That's hardly grasping at straws.

And in my opinion, your shortsighted taste in music "sucks ass"

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm just trying to get you to see someone else's opinion other than your own. Especially since it's clear that not everyone here agrees with you and what you think "sucks ass".

LOL, if it makes you happy so be it my taste is n`t you concern mind you own boy.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So basically EVERY song is from 99-01?

I don't remember if sic answered this in Chinese Whispers but what became of the so called interludes that Stinson and Fortus mentioned working on in mid 2005? Not on the album obviously but if the ONLY contributions to the CD sessions after 01-02 are those "interludes"(2005) and Ron and Frank's needless additions(late 06-07), it says a lot about the work ethic and lack of chemistry after the 99 and 01 recording sessions. Also not surprising that the 2008-13 lineup has accomplished nothing music wise.

Say what you want about Bucket but as each nugget of info trickles out it becomes even more obvious that new GNR essentially imploded after he left.

what's up bitch? Glad to knowyou are alive...this thread went downhill quick. I agree with Buzz....Shackler's is not good. However, I think it is more Axl's chorus than the music. Axl's vocals on the chorus are awful.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So basically EVERY song is from 99-01?

You didn't get the memo, then?

We did most of the music as a total collaborative effort a while back, most of the music was recorded four years ago. In the last seven years, in the last four years, it's been pretty much done. [...] It's been through a couple of producers' hands, some have been good, some have been bad." (Tommy, Rhinocast, 01/16/06)

"It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done 10 fucking years ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that." (Tommy, AV Club, 05/19/11)

"We started over, we continued adding songs, continued recording and recording." (Axl, Rock & Pop FM, 01/22/01)

"It ended up coming back down to the same fucking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation. That whole era pretty much sums up what happened to the record industry." (Tommy, AV Club, 05/19/11)

James Lofton wrote:

Better 03/04 period

What? What info is there that dates this song to that period? The CD train had already derailed at that point.

It's a Bucket/Brain -era song, which puts it around '00-03. Stilll, it's in the same general timeframe as the other CD songs.

Sky Dog wrote:

gotta love Tommy...too funny...or sad...depends on how you want to look at it!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Don't waste your time on this one...not worth it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Aside from the nastiness, It's an interesting discussion.

Is there a need to do new things so as not to become stale, or does remaining in the same style allow you to perfect what you do?

To me I like it when bands stick to what they do. That's why they were famous in the first place - for doing that thing. Do I want slash to freshen up his approach by quitting guitar and taking up piano? No thanks...if I want to hear piano I'll go to a famous pianist...when I want guitar I go to Slash.

I think it's a fine line, adding a little variety is cool, but too far is a different thing.

Take NR - it wouldn't fit on AFD with all that piano - but because it's still got a blues guitar solo and so on it does fit with the general GNR catalogue as the evolution of their style.

Like wise i see Anastasia as the evolution of the style of DTJ, and I see TWAT as kind of the evolution of the style of stuff like Breakdown. So in my mind they do still adjust and evolve still while being true to what they used to do...

But the problem with a lot of CD tends to be that it's moved beyond that evolution stage and just into different genre entirely.

Board footer