You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash and Paul Tobias

monkeychow wrote:

I see what you mean ID...but the guitars are used differently in CD.

Take a song like Paradise City or Jungle.

It's obvious those songs started as guitar pieces...of course Axl has added a ton of amazing stuff..but the song came about because someone hammered those riffs on guitar out. It's a guitar song.

Then take November Rain - it's clearly designed around the vocal melody and key parts first. I know there's a guitar demo of it around but still. Sure slash added a kickass solo to it - but it's not like one day slash shows up with that solo plays it for Axl and he writes NR around it. It's a piano song.

CD has a bunch of great songs. But none of them are really guitar tracks to start with. It's more like taking piano songs (blues, TIL, Prostitute) and adding layers of guitar as an orchestral instrument and impossible solos. There's tons of guitars...but they're not things you'd do in the back of a bus with an acoustic.

Maybe there's a couple...I guess the title track is kinda riff based...and better...but even stuff like shacklers, riad and scrapped while guitar heavy seems to mostly be glued together by the vocal melodies.

I guess we'll see if he makes a guitar album with DJ.

I just think a big part of Axl rejecting snakepit, and also how someone in the new band (i forget who) said Axl didn't like getting finished guitar songs...is that Axl these days is inspired by snippets of melodies, synth, and classical music, I really suspect that if you email him Falling to Pieces or Anastasia that already has a verse chorus verse thing going on guitar and no vocals that it does nothing much for him.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Thing is, GN'R were always a guitar riff band, why the hell did Axl decide they weren't a riff band anymore?

I can't imagine what Slash must've been thinking when Axl started rejecting his riffs for new GNR songs, as he didn't want guitar riff based music anymore.
Slash is a riff guitarist, what the fuck is he supposed to do instead???

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Slash is a riff guitarist, what the fuck is supposed to do instead???

Dude you need to accept that Slash is a cry baby who ruined the band.

Buckethead for all his amazing talents as a solo artist , never really improved on the guitar excellence he achieves on this Chinese Democracy track at 3.58:

I think he really nailed the sound Axl was after there.

It's hard to think that either Slash or Bucket could ever have been better utilised, lord knows why they left, especially when they both could have learned a lot by playing an open chord while guys like Huge and Fink school them on the lead guitar lines.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

hmmm, I never looked at Slash as a riff guitarist, tbh. He was much more a bluesy traditional rock based player.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well he shines as a bluesy lead player for obvious reasons...but at the same time he seems to have been associated with an awful number of killer rock riffs - between GNR, VR, Snakepit and his solo stuff...he's def got the chops.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Really, the riff thing is totally new to me, as I've put Slash in the same mold as Clapton and Beck. I mean, the first thing I think of with Slash are solos, not riffs.

I've never thought of GN'R as a riff based band. That's Black Sabbath and AC/DC. Completely different animal, imo. GN'R has always been a much more Stones/Aerosmith type band. MUCH more broader than riff based bands and so is Slash. I really don't think the average person would link him to a bunch of big rock riffs, either. I've always seen him as a Keth Richards/ Mick Ralphs type of guitarist.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

You know the Stones and Aerosmith use riffs pretty heavily too, right?  I could make an argument they are the 2 biggest riff based bands ever.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Paradise City
SCOM (not really a riff, but iconic)
WTTJ
Locomotive
Anastasia
Civil War
Ghost
Been Here Lately
Speed Parade
Dr Alabi
Don't Damn Me
Coma
Brownstone
Rocket Queen
Halo
You Could Be Mine
Get In The Ring
You're Crazy
Beggars and Hanger Ons

All great riff based songs.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Stones- beast of burden
Tumbling Dice
Start Me Up
Gimme Shelter
Honkey Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Bitch
Brown Sugar

Aerosmith-
Sweet Emotions
Chip Away at the stone
Same ole song and dance
Rats in the cellar
Last Child
Walk this way

Come on ID

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

The whole AFD, their defining and breakthru album is riff based. Heavily.

Also, the G side of GN'R Lies is very riff based. Even Crazy and OIAM from the R side.

UYI has a lot of riff based songs, too. Locomotive, Coma, Bad Apples, Don't Damn Me, Garden of Eden, DTJ, Back Off Bitch, Perfect Crime, RNDTH, Pretty Tied Up, YCBM... and Slash's solo career's whole catalogue (minus the guest appearances) is a riff fest. I don't know how anyone could miss it.

FYI Aerosmith and Rolling Stones are also riff bands. They were, when they mattered, anyway.

Board footer