You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash and Paul Tobias

Sky Dog wrote:

zep too...and for the record....that 2001 Rock in Rio version of "The Blues"....is still my favorite...a little faster paced...real energy...the album version sucks ass.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You know the Stones and Aerosmith use riffs pretty heavily too, right?  I could make an argument they are the 2 biggest riff based bands ever.

People are really missing the point. No one looks at those bands as big riff bands. They are much, much, much, much more diverse than that, just like GN'R. I never said they didn't use riffs, or anything like that. All guitar songs have riffs. If this is the example, then the new band is riff heavy. Bucket is riff heavy. A riff can be anything, it's not song-specific, and it exists on its own. You playing anything on your guitar is a riff. Slash and GN'R were more than that, imo. They were much more melodic than that. From Jungle to NR.

Their music, like the stones, like LZ, it was much more nuanced and richer than bands that are centered on riffs. No one is confusing Slash for Dimebag or Tony Iommi.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I see what you're saying ID but to me it doesn't follow.

AFD was 100% riff based songs.

UYI was 1/2 Riff Album, Half Piano based songs.

After UYI Axl rejected all riffs brought to him by Slash/Duff for years on End.

Slash continued to write riff based music in Snakepit, VR and Solo.

Axl continued to write piano and synth based songs.

Thus  the problem with further old-band records can't be said to be that the old band couldn't write riffs without additional help. They wrote the riffs on the old records, and they still do write riff music to this very year. Just Axl is not involved.

The problem for a new GNR record was Axl no longer liked any of the riffs they produce, and that Axl was now in sole charge of deciding what songs get produced, and how the guitar (if any) should be. And of course the deeper problem was that they lost any real relationship with Axl due to the handlers, miscommunication and keeping different hours. Which led to levels of resentment and frustration that made working together impossible,

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I would like to add this, when you listen to LZ and Page and all his masterfulness, you do realize those are layered guitars don't you?  Page is great, and Slash does have better chops than page ever had by the way, but my point is it sounds so awesome on record because he layered a lot of guitars down.  In a three piece band where there is one guitar player, you can really let your guitar breathe as well.  See Running with the Devil by VH.  His rhythm is awesome, but it is simple too, allowing the notes and chords to ring...  but contrast that with Iron Maiden and there is so much going on guitar wise it doesn't stand out as much.  Also Slash played Lead and Rhythm on both Slash albums on every song except Ghost.  Listen to "Watch this".  Tell me Slash sucks at rhythm.  That is all him.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Fucking LOL at " Slash having more chops then Page ever had " .

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Laugh all you want, Slash plays circles around Jimmy Page.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Page was/is great, but Page could never play Anastasia, EVER!!!!!!  Often live Page was a train wreck as well.  Page is an all time great to me though.  His writing, recording, and tuning, production was amazing.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Only in delusional Slash`s fanboys` mind is Slash better than Page,

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:

Watch " The Song Remains the Same " DVD carefully and then say with straight face that Page sucked live or Slash plays circles around him. It`s simply not true. He was untouchable live up untill 75. He became sloppy later due to his cocaine addiction. Don`t overrate Slash to death for god`s sake.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Only in delusional Slash`s fanboys` mind is Slash better than Page,

I ain't no delusional fan boy, I'm someone who plays guitar and knows that Slash has better chops than Jimmy Page.

I like Jimmy Page, but Slash is the better guitar player of the two. And that's not to say that Jimmy Page isn't a great player too.

So no need to get all upset ya big girl! 14 14 14

Board footer