You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Sean Beavan interview (2012)

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I like the idea of old vocals being on some of the tracks

Had the album been released in the 99-02 period, I wouldn't have a problem with it either even though the album would have suffered from his laziness even then, but to release it in 2008 with no improvements shows he no longer cared about it. Probably stopped caring after the 2002 implosion if not sooner and Bucket fleeing the crime scene was its nail in the coffin.

He did some vocals post-Beavan. Sorry, Scraped, Shackler & Better. He did vocal overdubbing up to early 2007, which is when they said they wrapped recording up (took only, what, 18 months to approve the mixing, then). I would say, based on his actions, he did care, but was hopelessly slow in getting things done, still.

2002 would've been great. 2006 would've been surprisingly decent. 2008 was a non-event. Had they kept Tom Zutaut in 2001, they could've gotten away with it. At least he had a direction.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Son of a Gun wrote:

" Oh My God " is one of the best Axl penned rockers dark, atmospheric so much venom, anger and spite in lyrics. He can be on top of his game when it comes to writing lyrics and melodies when he wants.

Killer track. Oh and hell yeah on the points you and the others have made.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

2002 voice I still always felt Axl was finding what worked best for a long tour without damaging himself.

negative feedback prompted him to say fuck it and just let loose in 06

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

It turns out almost every vocal track was a vocal track I did.

I said this years ago. Glad to see someone in the know actually confirm it. The laziness on this project will never cease to be mind boggling.

Since the final vocal tracks date back to 98-00, when were the demo tracks recorded or were the initial vocal tracks considered the real thing and he refused to finish them? Songs such as Madagascar and Street of Dreams beg for him to go back to the studio. Even though hardcore fans like to call the leaks "demos", we have yet to hear a true demo from the CD sessions.

I like the idea of old vocals being on some of the tracks

Had the album been released in the 99-02 period, I wouldn't have a problem with it either even though the album would have suffered from his laziness even then, but to release it in 2008 with no improvements shows he no longer cared about it. Probably stopped caring after the 2002 implosion if not sooner and Bucket fleeing the crime scene was its nail in the coffin.

All this interview tells me is how far fetched it is to expect old Axl back in the studio ever again, late 90's was his mojo, since then he's been phoning it in.

Literally.

Agreed. He's definitely never gonna hit the studio to record anything new. His studio activity 2009-13 proves this. It's either CD leftovers in 2013-?? or nothing. I'd place my money on nothing. Only thing that MIGHT light a fire under Axl and Uni's ass would be a leak similar to the skwerl leak....8 or 9 unheard songs.

There is a reason why axl used vocals from 98-2000 and never redid them, its because his voice is crap now and its gone.
His voice was way better back then and if he tried to redo htem it would sound worse.  That is why some of the newer songs like scrapped, just listen to how awful his voice sounds.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Maybe...but then say the Sailing cover in 2006 sounded amazing live, if he could sing like that then there's no reason he couldn't have recorded other vocals of that calibre in that era.

I'll grant it's been a while now since we've heard that kind of vocal skill from Axl...but then again...in a studio environment he could do takes word by word until it sounded ok....not like live where he can get breathless or wobble etc.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

2006-2007, and even 2010, Axl's voice was sounding great. In 2006 he was singing some stuff live that sounded better than he did during the UYI tour.
So yeah, he could've easily have recorded some great new vocals then.

I think the biggest obstacle is his own complacency, I don't think he's motivated to do anything other than phoned-in live shows here and there.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, because it's been like this for years.
But for a guy who wanted to take the reigns and control over GN'R to ensure it's future, he's done fuck all with it.

At this stage, I would've been happy for Slash to have taken the name with him, because I reckon Slash has a much better ethic towards new music, touring regularly, and treating fans with respect. The GN'R brand deserves that. Axl could learn a thing or two from 2013 version of Slash.

Board footer