You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal: All I've got is precious time (interview)

He doesn't really say who, except not Axl or Pitman so take your pick from Dizzy, Brain, Tommy, Finck and Fortus.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Ron wrote:

Whether they would admit it or not, or agree or not, you know, I wasn't made. I was Morrie in “Goodfellas”. They were all made. I could have been as nice as possible and gone along with the business - but I was never gonna be made.

I guess Robin was someone who was 'made'. I think Canter's referring to hanging with Axl in 2006, so it more or less fits the timeline.

Marc Canter wrote:

I mean back when we were so close a few years ago we would talk for hours about that, John. We would go back and forth and I would tell him, “Axl, nothing will ever touch the old band. The new band will be viewed as very good and an excellent thing unto itself, but it will never touch the old band. They will both be different and great in different ways.” 

I mean, I told him I totally understand what he’s doing because there IS no old band, but it just was never going to be better than the old band. He insisted that it was going to be better than the old band, and that Robin Finck was his Randy Rhoads and compared it to Ozzy finding Randy. 

I told him "No, Robin is NOT Randy and he will be viewed as good but never better than Slash on ANY level, musically, personality wise, that was just lightning in a bottle", and we just went on and on and you get the idea (laughs)

-src

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Robin should have been thankful Axl took him back at all back then. And as much as I love what he brought to the band, even he should have the sense to realize you can't just "move on" after a guy like Bucket comes in and changes the formula.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Said they had worked it all out for 2 guitars... so just assumed Robin and Richard didn't wanna share solos etc.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

To be fair to Robin, it was the second occasion he'd been told he was going to be GN'R's lead guitar player, only to find his position usurped by a third guitarist.

As much as Axl bangs on about the three-guitarist concept, I think it's damaged the band in the long run. People need personalities to latch onto, and having two lead and one rhythm guitarist dilutes things too much (and leaves the band open to snide comments that "it takes two people to replace Slash"). Bluntly, Axl should've kept GN'R as a two-guitar band after Tobias dropped out; Robin and Buckethead sharing guitar duties.

Board footer