You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: sp1at thread

apex-twin wrote:

Correction, we may. Just like we may get the 1995 Izzy/Duff song, Down by the Ocean.

The surprise is that they are now tinkering with that stuff, and yes, it would be very interesting.

Back in 1996,

"The band managed to do a little bit of jamming and come up with some things. A couple of the ideas I had come up with Axl apparently liked and they were recorded onto Pro Tools and stored for him to work on later." (Slash, autobiography)

"I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of [Slash] were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith's Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02)

In 2001, Axl casually mentioned some 1996 tracks had apparently been considered during the initial making of CD.

"We hadn't written songs or recorded for many years. There were band changes and there were many changes in the record company. [...] When we tried writing songs in the old style of Guns N' Roses, they sounded too old, they didn't sound so alive. We could not make that. And I think that that also passed with the old Guns N' Roses. The songs composed by the boys for another album many years ago, everything sounded old. Then we tried to explore to maintain the band alive." (Axl, Rock & Pop FM, 01/22/01)

Less than a week before, Axl had confided to Marc Canter that there were three Slash songs still considered to be on CD.

Marc Canter wrote:

The day after Rock In Rio [01/16/01,] Axl and I were at the pool... [Axl] saying to me "If Slash apologizes publicly for the things he said about me in the press I have three songs that he could play on the new album". They were three songs that Slash had written on and Axl wanted to do something with them and include them on Chinese Democracy which would have been cool. - Marc Canter

At the eve of the 2002 tour, Axl brought up the '96 stuff all by himself.

"[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. [...] That's the reason why that material got scrapped.

If one were to say 'Well then, why not do it now' there are several reasons.

1) My band, too much time, too much effort and hardship. Confidence in our material. Excitement in watching this grow and being a part of the whole experience.

2) Money.

3) Slash has lied about nearly everything and anything to nearly everyone and anyone." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02)

His second and third points were originally much more verbose, but contained little meat aside the opening sentences, as usual wink

But yeah, it does appear there are three tracks, or 'seeds of songs', that have been kicking around for 18 years.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, Slash should apologize and help him record those three songs since Axl already likes the ideas...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

TIME THE FUCK OUT! WE are going to finally hear songs from the 94-96 era that Slash started? Hoooo Leee Fuck!!!  If Axl uses Slash stuff from 1996, wow... I wonder how that will go down. Will Slash get a writing credit??

Exactly what I was thinking.... nearly 20 years since Slash left the band, and he may get a writing credit on a new album. Thats fucking crazy!

Sky Dog wrote:

Won't happen at all...... If you think Axl would give Slash a writing credit on ANY future albums, I got a really big bridge to sell you.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, Slash should apologize and help him record those three songs since Axl already likes the ideas...

As recently as Axl's response to not showing up at the RRHOF I had the feeling Axl left the door open to Slash to make amends. I think it's been the same thing since that pool chat... If Slash says in public what he was saying at Axl's house in public they can bury the hatchet, at least on a personal level. I think that still stands. Just not any type of professional relationship.

And I think Slash would jump at the chance to play on that material with Axl.

misterID

misterID wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Duff won't be a peer....Axl will never have any peers again business wise. He obviously wants full control and is too old and stubborn to change now. Duff is more of a peer on a spiritual level and a friendship level.

That's my point exactly.

Duff can knock on the door after over a decade and have Team Brazil tell him Axl's taking a shower. Nonplussed, he's the dude who can say, 'I've seen him naked before.'

Team Brazil know this. Duff and Izzy are guys who are beyond their reach. They want to talk to Axl, they will talk to Axl, because Axl wants to hear from them. Out of the two, Duff is the one who could become a returning member. He's dependable, eager to write, eager to work. Duff could be the magic bullet to push Axl into a respectable twilight of his career. Reunion could be never, but imagine the Axl band with Duff on bass full-time and Izzy guesting on a song. That'd be amiable.

Sky Dog wrote:

As for Axl collaborators, I don't put Bucket in that category or Fortus or Dj or Ron. From what we have heard (tracks actually released or leaked like Going Down), Axl's main collaborators for song ideas were Robin, Tommy, Paul, and Dizzy.

Regarding the songs of the '99 album, you're right. But then came the Bob Ezrin 'three good songs' incident and more songwriting was encouraged. Bucket left his mark at this point, I think. Brain wrote The General, etc. Robin and Richard wrote Better, even if the main riff may have been around longer. This was all post-Sean Beavan stuff, it was the Roy Thomas Baker -produced album.

polluxlm wrote:

There can't be much pressure except in his own mind. Nobody is waiting for a new GN'R album. Nobody is expecting it will sell much. He can pretty much do it in any style he want.

True. Imagine if this Richard video had surfaced a decade ago. The wait for nothing between 2003 and 2005 was crowded, against all reason.

I would bet you anything the only producers on Better were Axl and Caram. Perhaps Sean was there at its conception, but that's probably about it. I haven't seen anything that says RTB did jack in recording any new music.

I'm sure Team Brazil was scared at the sight of Duff, specifically over fear of Axl's reaction. I don't see them fearing losing any control, I think that's been blown out of proportion, I would say they're pretty confident Axl, no matter what, is the man, he's in charge, he's relinquishing nothing to anyone. It's been said that Axl is looking for new management anyway, so they have no say over anything when it comes down to it. I would guess they walk on eggshells when it comes to Axl and what his mood might be at any given second. I've heard they approach everyone who does business with Axl with how they should approach him, talk to him, what not to tell him, etc.

I have serious doubts there's some big Lebeis conspiracy preventing a reunion.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Knowing there are old era GNR tunes in the Vault that have come out or Fortus and DJ to work on blows my mind. This means Slash didn't use those riffs yet. And he could have!  They are his riffs. Yet they remain in Axl's hands with his new band putting their fingers all over them. I can't stop thinking about this now. We must hear the last original ideas from th old band.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Knowing there are old era GNR tunes in the Vault that have come out or Fortus and DJ to work on blows my mind. This means Slash didn't use those riffs yet. And he could have!  They are his riffs. Yet they remain in Axl's hands with his new band putting their fingers all over them. I can't stop thinking about this now. We must hear the last original ideas from th old band.

I think he used some of them. Fall to Pieces was from back then no?

For the rest of it you better hope Axl goes broke.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, Fall to Pieces, but clearly there are at least 3 Slash hasn't used.  If he had Axl wouldn't use them again I wouldn't think.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, Fall to Pieces, but clearly there are at least 3 Slash hasn't used.  If he had Axl wouldn't use them again I wouldn't think.

Are we sure they're talking about songs though and not just some riffage?

Board footer