You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: "The Full Story Behind Our ‘Chinese Democracy’ Leak" (Antiquiet.com)

Sky Dog wrote:

AGREE....a lot of evidence points to that....I would maybe give another few years and say 2002-very early 2003.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: "The Full Story Behind Our ‘Chinese Democracy’ Leak" (Antiquiet.com)

dave-gnfnr wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Haha, no worries mate, your syntax just fails to give your inebration away smile

I think I bumped into that Tommy interview you mentioned just a while ago. A pretty kicking account in all its honesty.

Tommy wrote:

It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done 10 fucking years ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that. And it ended up coming back down to the same fucking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation.

I remember Tommy saying earlier on that most of the songs were written before/during the Beavan era. But, at the time, Josh Freese and Beavan said there were around 40 songs being tinkered on, with Axl saying 70 songs in total... Tommy doesn't contradict that, nor the additional stuff written with Bucket & Brain.

What Tommy does suggest is that Guns stopped writing new songs in around 2000/2001, and merely screwed around re-recording the existing material for 7-8 years. 18

And that is why the leaked versions were way better than the album cut. Because they are not just cut and pasted with redone parts over the 2002 songs.

I would love to hear the 2002 version of the album before all the tinkering was done.  Just look at songs from 2002 like Chinese democracy, madagascar, and the blues. Those versions live are way better live than the current live and album versions.    The blues went from being a great track to a shit track because they ruined it.  CD the song is also a mess because of all the extra layers they added.

Nothing IMO can still touch the amazing HOB version of Chinese Democracy, that version was amazing.

Board footer