You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Slash & The Conspirators new album WORLD ON FIRE due 15 September 2014

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

I get that but Ill take a Standing in the Sun, you're a lie, Anastasia, Far and Away, Not for Me and no More Heroes every couple years than nothing. Sure some of AL doesn't hold up well but those songs there are pretty legit good stuff.

True, but the last few releases by Slash I was pretty excited about. It took awhile for me to warm up to his first solo effort but I eventually did, aside from a few songs. AL just didn't grab me overall. I loved Standing In The Sun and Anastasia. A few others I enjoy from time to time, but I can't say I'm genuinely excited for this release. I hope there'll be a few standout tracks, but I don't expect much more than that.

And obviously, that's just my opinion. I know a lot of people enjoyed AL for what it was. It just didn't do it for me.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Flador, you have never been a huge Slash fan.  I would never expect you to be all in with Slash.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Flador, you have never been a huge Slash fan.  I would never expect you to be all in with Slash.

Well, a lot of my friends would disagree with you on that. He happens to be my favorite guitarist of all time and was obviously an integral part of my favorite band of all time. But I've never been a huge fan of his work outside of Guns. The same as you, and many others, would say about Axl's output without Slash.

For what it's worth. I'm getting married this summer and there's a few Slash solo tunes as possibilities for the playlist that night (Starlight and Gotten). No CD songs are being considered. Does that get me any points on my fan card?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

It does. You are always fair, but usually always put down Slash one way or another.  You are a great poster over all...  You are more of a moderate.. Not an Axlite nor Slashite, but you do have a slight Axl lean.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

It does. You are always fair, but usually always put down Slash one way or another.  You are a great poster over all...  You are more of a moderate.. Not an Axlite nor Slashite, but you do have a slight Axl lean.

There are 2 main reasons I lean towards Axl. I am not a guitar player, and while I love Slash's playing, to me its way easier to accept someone playing his parts than singing Axl's. My ears can clearly hear the difference without Axl, but if I close my eyes I can accept other people playing Slash's parts far more easily. If I was a guitar junkie, I may think differently, but I am not.

Also, let's face it. Axl gets shit on a lot more than Slash, so the opportunity for me to stick up for him happens far more frequently. I am a fan of Slash. I respect the hell out of all he has done and continues to do. I love his work ethic and how he appreciates his fans. He knows how to play the game and keep himself in the public eye, for the right reasons. But I just didn't love the last album, and I fear the same thing will happen with this one. We will see though. It's way too early to write it off completely after a 30 second sample.

Lomax wrote:
faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

There are 2 main reasons I lean towards Axl. I am not a guitar player, and while I love Slash's playing, to me its way easier to accept someone playing his parts than singing Axl's. My ears can clearly hear the difference without Axl, but if I close my eyes I can accept other people playing Slash's parts far more easily. If I was a guitar junkie, I may think differently, but I am not.

Also, let's face it. Axl gets shit on a lot more than Slash, so the opportunity for me to stick up for him happens far more frequently. I am a fan of Slash. I respect the hell out of all he has done and continues to do. I love his work ethic and how he appreciates his fans. He knows how to play the game and keep himself in the public eye, for the right reasons. But I just didn't love the last album, and I fear the same thing will happen with this one. We will see though. It's way too early to write it off completely after a 30 second sample.

I lean towards Axl because I make a lot of music myself and even though Axl has had less comercial output, the music he has created has been much more artistically varied. Slash has been re-writing AFD badly for 20 years. Most of Slash's music sounds the same to me, but when I listen to CD every song has a different context and a different heritage. I am a guitarist and Slash sounds worn out to me now, GNR doesn't.

On top of that, I don't think I've ever heard a band break-up story that was purely black and white or down to one person. The Slashites seem to push the idea that Axl is to blame for everything. That is narrow minded in my view. There are multiple sides to every story.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I have to agree there. CD appealed to me way more than Slash's solo efforts. The thing I love most about GNR, and music in general, is diversity. CD had that. Slash 2010 was more diverse because of all the different singers but for the most part I did find AL a little on the generic side, or bland if you'd prefer.

Looks like the single debuts tomorrow so we'll get a full listen and a better glimpse of what may be coming.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Lomax wrote:
faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I lean towards Axl because I make a lot of music myself and even though Axl has had less comercial output, the music he has created has been much more artistically varied. Slash has been re-writing AFD badly for 20 years. Most of Slash's music sounds the same to me, but when I listen to CD every song has a different context and a different heritage. I am a guitarist and Slash sounds worn out to me now, GNR doesn't.

On top of that, I don't think I've ever heard a band break-up story that was purely black and white or down to one person. The Slashites seem to push the idea that Axl is to blame for everything. That is narrow minded in my view. There are multiple sides to every story.

Agreed! I listen to CD on a regular basis; but I hardly do it for Slash's solo stuff. He has alot of great songs on his first solo album and a couple that I adore on AL. There is just a bunch of songs on there that could be so much better.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Only 6 or so hours until we hear World On Fire in full!

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Just bought on ITunes....

Board footer