You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: HBO's True Detective

apex-twin wrote:

I binge-watched S1 a while ago and was really into it until the last episode or two. The ending was a cop-out as far as I was concerned. Overall, great TV, tho.

S2 had me excited beforehand when the logline given was "bad men, hard women, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system." I felt that was great; TD could've carved a niche with hard-boiled crime stories laced with supernatural. Then, the occult angle was dropped. Bummer. What differentiated TD at the outset from most cop shows vanished.

I'm still to see a single episode from S2. Judging by the reception, I doubt I'll bother. The things that captivated me, Rust Cohle and the Yellow King, are both long gone. Perhaps the online reception has been a bit unfair; S1 was so revered that it appeared many people were just waiting for an excuse to hack the follow-up into pieces.

Having said that, the wreckage does present the hubris of showrunner Nic Pizzolatto, who apparently figured he was the leading light of S1. In reality, it appears he was 'just' a part of a solid team. With the cast, director and occult overtones gone, he's been left holding the check. Pity, that.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I don't think season 2 was a complete waste...I quite enjoyed it, tho I ended up picking out the bad guy as soon as he was shown...tho it took another 6 episodes to norm that my hunch was correct...the story was a bit convoluted and hard to follow which usually spells doom for the masses

There were some slow parts and I can understand the harsh critics. ..s1 was amazing...s2 still good but with flaws

If it centered on Vince Vaughn and Colin Ferrell only and left rachel mcadams and the other guy out it would've allowed for much more character development ... or have 12 episodes instead of 8

They were between a rock and a hard place tho after the acclaimed success of s1

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

They could have kept Rachel and left out Paul, that would have worked as characters go, even though Vaughn was terrible. The plot was completely convoluted and I didn't care. Two Mexican kids, something in1992, diamonds and a guy who liked kinky sex tied in with real estate and a train. Snore. Center it around a sex cult and a killer in a bird mask, and that's cool.

I did like the last episode but the series was a bummer.

johndivney wrote:

still, better than the preposterously stupid shit they pulled last year. green ears..
whereas last season was terrible this year was just relatively bad in comparison - in that it made sense; there were no real macguffins or red herrings, everything that was in the show had a reason to be there. until the last episode there were no real shortcuts taken (the harddrive being so important was just dropped in like a line or two when it reset itself(!)). people's actions were justified & spelt out long before they met their end - it made sense.

whereas last year was just an awful chancer hoodwinking people.
at least this year he seems to have written the thing before he started shooting it, instead of mking it up as he went along like last year.

still, roll on fargo.

AtariLegend wrote:

I liked the season, but again I wasn't expecting anything in relation to last season. I took it for what it is.

It's a bad sign though when you have to google imdb to figure out the names of characters. I understood the plot and picked up on where it was going, I just had to identity the cast by their real names.

I thought Taylor Kitsch's character didn't really add anything to the season. I mean there was no payoff, he's gay lies to everyone and gets himself killed because he can't be bothered just telling people that he's gay. I mean the girl he got pregnant when they got back together again, didn't seem too fussed. She was ready for that to be the end of their relationship and he didn't really seem that into her. Also the Black mountain security thing and Afghanistan, you're basically left to fill in the gaps in the story and assume you know what happened.

Actually screw it, after typing that paragraph I'm actually more down on the season than I thought I was. I did think Rachael/Colin were good though, even if their backgrounds were a little bit iffy. Vince was good too, but did Kelly his significant other add anything to the plot whatsoever? I think Kelly's character only existed so Vince would have someone to talk to.

Colin's journey through the season was fucked up, I mean he was a guy who made bad decision, after bad decision and then ends up getting killed.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Yes, horrible season with a few great moments. Overall frustrating as shit to watch. Shark was jumped with blinking transponder on wet asphalt that was dry everywhere except under car.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

There was no real antagonist, unlike last season. No great mystery, just a series of incidents that made up a loooooooong winded conspiracy. It should have centered on Colin and Rachel and that's it. Theyre after a killer who's wasting a bunch of people connected to a sex cult with big political members trying to save their asses, and it goes back to her dads cult and her molester. There, no Paul, and use Vaughn for a couple episodes. Rachel and Colin were the most interesting, and the pay off that he knocks her up is really great. I even like the Lynchy scene that predicted his death.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Watched Season 1 via Netflix DVD.  Really great show, the episode with the robbery in the projects was badass.  I agree with JonDivney & Apextwin among others, the ending sucked.  Was just a massive let down, sorta like Lost.  Didn't do the show any justice. Felt like they tried to do too much with the season & story as a whole. I'm sure only 8 eps was all they could get out of the cast, but trim the story or lead it better into a direction.  Just seemed like they pulled answers out of a hat by the end.

Seems season 2 wasn't as great, not sure I'll check it out.

AtariLegend wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Seems season 2 wasn't as great, not sure I'll check it out.

It's worth watching, just watch it expecting it to be the same as season 1. Each season is it's own story.

AtariLegend wrote:

Disappointed their was such a backlash to this. I liked the season, didn't expect them to re-do season 1. They said it'd be a different story.

I also don't have a short attention span, no offense guys tongue.

That said... I guess no season 3.

Board footer