You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: GnR in Vegas 2014

They said No Trickery! 16

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I'm going down Sunday. Trying to make it a pimp day. I live up in Reno, so my plan (in theory) is to hike Tahoe in the morning, then fly down to Vegas early evening, nice dinner and then the show by midnight. Best of both worlds....we'll see.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Hope you have fun Cramer, but I'm starting to refer to them as Guns N' Lols.

Same tired setlist when DJ said it would be different to last time, Ron is rumored to be leaving, and apparently the live DVD has been shelved again.

This band is just a joke.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Well the good thing is that I just make GnR once aspect of my time in Vegas. I will say that I've never had a bad show with GnR ever. At this point I won't travel all over the country, but I'll catch 'em if they are close by. We pretty much know what we are in store for, and we take it or leave it. I do find Axl's lack of vision disappointing, to say the least, but it is what it is.

The rest of the trip is food and sex, in no particular order. 16

I can't stand DJ though, gawd he sucks.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

The show was quite good. Axl seemed to be holding back his voice in the beginning, but then really opened up after a few songs. Voice was strong, and the band sounded great.

The band jams and Axl off stage really does stick out after a while. During the show there was a lot of stage time without Axl. The thing though, is that the band is really good, so I tend to enjoy it. I did ask the Missus if she would prefer a longer show with the filler (aka Axl rest time) or a condensed 90 minute show that just tore through the hits. She said she actually enjoyed the show in its current format.

I also wondered what the band would sound like if they created something without Axl. Just released 12 songs or so with Bumble or Tommy on vocals. They seem very cohesive and are fluid together. It is a waste for them to do nothing with it IMO.

The crowd was kind of lame I thought, but I was up in the balcony. Everybody was sitting down. So it was my first GnR show that I saw mostly sitting. The crowd thinned as the show went on, but a lot of people hung until 3 AM exit time. Axl was in a great mood too.

I know there is a lot of negativity on the boards, and I am also part of that sometimes. Setlist complaints, Axl's voice, etc etc. But really, after 11 shows, I still feel they put on a killer show. Casual fans don't give a shit about the setlist, only board nerds* (who honestly, probably should step outside and get some fresh air more often) bitch about that. I do find it odd, like others have noted, that Axl would choose a cover song over a GnR hit. But that's just the way it goes. And that's the thing. At this point, it is what it is. You either accept the eccentricities of Axl Rose, that his voice may not always be top notch, or you don't. Take it or leave it, but as a live performance, they still put on a great show. Except DJ..fuck him. 16

* Or "Bored Nerds"

johndivney wrote:

Great review. Prob best/most accurate/nail on the head review I've ever read of a GnR show.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Nice review Cramer, cheers!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Thanks for the review dude. Glad you had a good time. If I was in vegas I would probably not even remember how I got to the show 16

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

Thanks for the review dude. Glad you had a good time. If I was in vegas I would probably not even remember how I got to the show 16

Thanks peeps.

It's funny you say that BLS, because the show was the best part, the rest of the trip was a disaster. We were supposed to fly back Tuesday, our flight left at 7:45. It's a quick trip (I hate flying) 55 minutes, and our check out was noon. We had a brunch place picked out, and then were going to do some tourist stuff around the Strip before going to the airport.

I'd say about 10 minutes after checking out, getting into our rental car, my wife told me her stomach hurt and she felt sick to her stomach. You could see it in her face. There was no hangover, she had two beers the night before with dinner, but no craziness. So it's you know, 102 outside, we no longer have a room, and now she's about to yack. So I'm driving around, trying to find a place to pull over. She begins to puke out the car in some industrial parking lot I pulled into. Of course there are guys at work, standing around watching her toss her cookies the whole time. Puking out the side of a car is no treat, but in Vegas especially you'll get zero sympathy because everybody just assumes you partied too hard.

After a certain point, I got to a hotel parking lot, in the shade and she continued. She was a total wreck. We wondered if it was food poisoning, but we ate the same thing the night before. So eventually after a couple of hours sitting in the car, we realize she's not getting better. She was a medic in the army and knows that she could get a shot to stop the nausea immediately, but we'd have to make it to a VA clinic. She needs the shot, so we can get on the plane. Well of course, the VA clinic required an appointment, so we went to the VA ER about 30 minutes north. Then like any other ER we had to wait for a while.

She was right though, it was crazy to see. When the IV drip started, within seconds, her face changed...relaxed almost instantly and the pain/nausea stopped abruptly. But by then, there was no way we were going to make the flight. The rental car would not allow me to drive it back to Reno without another 200 fee. The plane would transfer to the next day, but for 250. So we had to get a hotel room, then return the first car and then rent ANOTHER car (which ironically was the same fucking car, different company) to drive back 7 hours the next day.

Welcome to the jungle mofos, haha.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

DJ apparently tweeted earlier today that Izzy might play with GNR in Vegas tonight, and Duffs wife apparently tweeted a link to buy GNR tickets for tomorrow nights gig smile Anyone going to either of these shows?

The GNR twitter account hinted at appearances by Izzy and Duff during their #notrickery Q&A but it looks like a 3/5 AFD reunion could actually happen.

Board footer