You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: GNR to perform at Golden Gods award show/ lifetime achievement for Axl

misterID wrote:

The doom & gloom broadstrokes painting Axl as a depressed, quasi-suicidal, depressed mess on this show was, as always, hysterically pulled out of someone's ass; laughable, silly, completely overdramatic. This was typical Axl, with however we've come to accept his current voice, which there very well could be some damage and he's trying to protect it, never thought about it until recently, he looked to be having a lot of fun, actually. Being there was probably a lot more fun, as has been stated, the production leaves a lot to be desired. Nice to see Caram get a thank you, so that relationship seems to still be cool. smile

Cage had a great opening. Did the set remind anyone else of the oldschool headbangers ball set? It was definitely the same video quality. 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Cage being a fan warms my heart. Great and underrated actor.

Him and Axl have had somewhat similar careers. Praised critically and commercially in the 80s and 90s, then a public laughing stock doing cash grabs since then.

Joe was good.

Thanks for the recommendation. Check out Bad Lieutenant if you haven't seen it. Despite doing most roles for money lately he still finds the time to pick some good scripts here and there.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

If some of you think that a mentally healthy man looks and performs like this, then good for you. I'll stay living in reality though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think this is the way it's been for the last 12 years with you saying the same thing about him everytime he surfaces, outside the 2006 tour era. I think he's having fun. I think it's the norm for a man his age and the wear and tear he's brought on himself, times a little more with the partying he's been doing this late in life. The body just doesn't recover the way it does when you're young. I don't see anything new, anything terrible. I see a guy with a strained voice who's trying to get through these impossible vocal songs the best he can. I think he puts on a good show. It is what it is. If you're shocked at this point by him... I don't know what to tell you.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He tried really hard I think so I respect that. Duff was awesome.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

He tried really hard I think so I respect that. Duff was awesome.

Bumble and Fortus was good, too. Frank just can't play YCBM and has problems with other songs. Dizzy and Pitman...any backup musician could do their job. DJ was horrible.

JKL
 Rep: 0 

JKL wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Apparently Cage is just a big fan.

When did you first discover Guns N' Roses? What's your favorite Guns N' Roses song? What's your best Guns N Roses memory? What does the band mean to you?

Nicolas Cage [ Face/Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Drive Angry, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance] : I think Axl is one of the great writers of the last century; his piano playing is amazing and that song "Prostitute" is incredible! Guns N' Roses is outstanding.

Source: http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainme … Ef4temO.99

Thanks. So Cage made the presentation out of pure respect. That's cool. I'm not a big fan of his acting but i gotta dig him as a human being.

Lomax wrote:

Pretty humble of him to thank all previous lineups!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I imagine I'm a little older than you Mikkamakka. In my 40s now. I've gained weight and my skin is starting to sag in places, like under my neck. I've got a black belt in Taekwando and ride my bike to work every day, yet it's harder and harder to keep in shape. It happens. It'll happen to you too.

Axl might be depressed, who knows. He certainly doesn't look like it. Looked to be enjoying himself. Has he gained weight? Yes. Slash is fairly thick these days too. Izzy and Duff are aging fairly well.

Duff played with Axl, because he wanted to, and Axl lets him.

If you really wanna speculate about something, let's talk about Tommy. If Paul Westerberg wants a permanent The Replacements reunion, I'm sure Tommy's there. Who plays bass for GNR then? I think we know who.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
JKL wrote:

I've been too negative. Axl really deserves the life time award! Loads of great memories! Cheers Ax!

Yeah, and he showed glimpses of why I loved the guy back in the day. He seemed humbled by the award, thanked ALL the lineups, and tried to sing best he could.
Who knows, maybe thats the best he can do these days.

DJ should fire his guitar tech though, giving him an out of tune guitar to play on Guns biggest tune is inexcusable
DJ should've stopped and started with an in tune guitar. Hell, Joan Jett replayed an entire song, I'm sure we could forgive replaying an intro

Agreed, after Joan Jett replaying an entire song I'm not sure why they didn't stop after noticing DJ's guitar was painfully out of tune.  I don't see how they can televise that, and it's obviously a song the viewing public would be most interested in hearing.  Unless they can tweak it in editing to make it sound in tune.

I thought Axl sounded like he has sounded for the last few tours.  Some really good points, some not so good.  It is what it is, so we should take it as that.  Maybe if he got himself into a little better shape he could sound better, that's debatable.  Or maybe some sessions with a vocal coach could work.  I don't think he's quite the disaster some paint him to be.  He's also not "spot on" like some claim.  At least not from the evidence of live streams we've seen over the last few years.  Still though, people who see him live tend to have mostly positive things to say.  Eddie Trunk posted on his blog that Axl sounded great.  Someone challenged that claim and he defended himself by saying he sounded like he nailed it from the side stage.  I guess the moral of the story is Axl and GNR are still worth seeing live (to some), but don't expect him to be vintage Axl on these live streams.  It either doesn't come across well, or a lot is lost in translation.  Let's face it, most bands sound better in person.  Not saying none sound good on youtube, but for the most part there is a pretty distinct difference.

Board footer