You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Slash - World on Fire Out Now

-D- wrote:

I found a torrent on Pirate Bay, Have it on my phone... I haven't got to listen enough yet. I am very picky with how I experience an album for the first time, and just haven't been in a position to give it the attention it deserves.

I love Battleground though. I sit down and really listened a few times.  I drive bout 2 and a half hours everyday for work.. so want to wait and listen properly.

Edit: Loving The Dissident. WOW, Great riff and solo, vocal, bad ass song right there.

Hearing some of the reactions has me excited.

lespaul
 Rep: 2 

lespaul wrote:

this album fucking rocks!!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Whole Album....

Lomax wrote:

I'm absolutely blown away by the quality of this record. Did not expect this at all. After Apocalyptic Love I had written Slash off. This album is light-years beyond that though.
I'm going to see slash in November was mostly going for his legacy. Now I want to see him play this record in full. for me this is as good as his best work in GNR. Better than anything on UYI including coma.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Lomax, some of these riffs and solos are up there for sure!!!  I agree, huge leap from AL!  Alonso every song has some really badass moment to it!!

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Lomax wrote:

I'm absolutely blown away by the quality of this record. Did not expect this at all. After Apocalyptic Love I had written Slash off. This album is light-years beyond that though.
I'm going to see slash in November was mostly going for his legacy. Now I want to see him play this record in full. for me this is as good as his best work in GNR. Better than anything on UYI including coma.

I'm with ya mate its great. I like this better then snake pit and vr for sure

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Have to disagree. UYI contains some of Slash's best guitar playing, both riffs and solos.
While the new album is good, it doesn't surpass his GN'R work, at least to my ears.

Coma is still one of Slash's masterpieces guitar-wise too, and there isn't anything I hear on WOF that surpasses that

Lomax wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Lomax, some of these riffs and solos are up there for sure!!!  I agree, huge leap from AL!  Alonso every song has some really badass moment to it!!

Every single one. I think Slash just topped Chi Dem for me. I've been listening to "The Dissident" on repeat. can't get that chant in the middle out of my head.

Gibbo wrote:

I'm with ya mate its great. I like this better then snake pit and vr for sure

Me too. I can't get over the quality here. I thought because of the long track-listing a lot of these songs would be sub-par but they're not. not at all.

metallex78 wrote:

Have to disagree. UYI contains some of Slash's best guitar playing, both riffs and solos.
While the new album is good, it doesn't surpass his GN'R work, at least to my ears.

Coma is still one of Slash's masterpieces guitar-wise too, and there isn't anything I hear on WOF that surpasses that

Gotta disagree again there. My favorite part in coma was always Axl's vocal delivery in the outro. Never felt it was a good showcase for slash. I though the guitar work on breakdown was some of his best until "The Dissident".

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Having a first go.

Slash with a solid backing band / production.

Pros: Slash sounds good, Myles oft reminds me of Bruce Dickinson. Slash has a vocailst who's passable and can complement him.
Cons: Bit Iron Maiden at places, in feel at least. Slash lacks a vocalist who challenges him as an artist.

In short: Slash is doing what Axl should be doing. Of course, they should be doing this shit together, but Slash earns points for the effort. The band is good, but they are there to back up Slash. They are not the legacy unit of Duff and Matt, who click with him and push him positively.

To me, World on Fire is the most interesting solo album Slash has made. As a Post-GNR work, it still faces stiff competition from Contraband and It's Five O'Clock Somewhere, which are both more full-on band efforts. Contraband suffers from Slash being so buried in the mix, while IFOCS' heel is Eric Dover, who just appears out of place. WOF improves on their shortcomings in both counts, but Slash fails to completely utilize on their successes.

Lomax wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Having a first go.

Slash with a solid backing band / production.

Pros: Slash sounds good, Myles oft reminds me of Bruce Dickinson. Slash has a vocailst who's passable and can complement him.
Cons: Bit Iron Maiden at places, in feel at least. Slash lacks a vocalist who challenges him as an artist.

In short: Slash is doing what Axl should be doing. Of course, they should be doing this shit together, but Slash earns points for the effort. The band is good, but they are there to back up Slash. They are not the legacy unit of Duff and Matt, who click with him and push him positively.

To me, World on Fire is the most interesting solo album Slash has made. As a Post-GNR work, it still faces stiff competition from Contraband and It's Five O'Clock Somewhere, which are both more full-on band efforts. Contraband suffers from Slash being so buried in the mix, while IFOCS' heel is Eric Dover, who just appears out of place. WOF improves on their shortcomings in both counts, but Slash fails to completely utilize on their successes.

To me the Iron Maiden sound is a very very good thing.
Maiden are fucking great.
Also IFOCS is unlistenable in parts. It's got some  gems but most of that album sounds like b-sides to me.

Board footer