You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: "Like family members who were dead."

Lomax wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Yep. Was listening to a podcast yesterday and they were talking about two of Axl's troll ideas that were fortunately shot down by the record label. The first was using a picture of the Challenger shuttle explosion as the cover for Appetite. This was like a year after the tragedy. To say it would have been destroyed by critics and even music fans is an understatement. But looking back at it almost 30 years later it seems brilliant. Axl was ahead of his time in that regard.

I think it's a terrible idea. Luck, chance, fate, timing or whatever you want to call it played a HUGE role in the rise of GNR. Hell, the iconic album cover itself was due to the original being tossed by Geffen. That small move most definitely played a role in AFD's legacy(imagine the album's legacy where the cross doesn't exist).

Using the shuttle for the album would have got negative reaction because it would have been just to get media attention. AFD would have rotted on store shelves.  That album did not need manufactured hype/controversy to sell it.

From the time the bike was first mentioned(2002) until the album was finally released(2008), someone at Uni should have vetoed CD's album cover. Has to be one of the worst(if not THE worst) album cover from a mainstream band. Hell, those fake fan made bike covers were all better looking than the real cover.

The alternate CD covers weren't any better either.

I agree 1000% that no band ever looked cooler than GNR did in SCOM, although I think Axl reached his peak in the cool department at Farm Aid. Image wise it was all downhill from there.

I loved the cover. The tiny poverty bike with the enormous basket and GNR plastered on the wall behind was a good image I think.
Said whatever political statement he was trying to make quite well.

Board footer