You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: Donald Trump running for President

slcpunk wrote:

When I have some time, I'll got over that electoral vote in that article. I disagree with it for a few different reasons....mainly that the path to 270 is much easier for Hillary than any Republican. She's got at least 215-220 walking in the door.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't get it. How is Carson ahead of Trump in the polls? What is the draw?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I don't like Hillary but she may win in a damn landslide.

If Trump didn't say such crazy shit he could win the whole thing. But to me he is unelectable because he can't keep his mouth shut. Which is a shame. I like the idea of Trump. I think his idea on immigration is pretty terrible and inefficient. And the mass deportation would never happen.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

What about a Rubio/Fiorina ticket?  Who the hell would Trump get for VP?  Carson I don't understand. He is nice and logical but he isn't not president material either. I like Kasich on some level as well.

On the Dems side, I like the O'Malley guy better than Bern or Clinton. Jim Webb was my favorite from the debate.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's a weak ass field. Is there nobody in America with more charisma than this? Or should I say, who big business is willing to fund.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I liked Mitt Romney better than any of these guys.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't get it. How is Carson ahead of Trump in the polls? What is the draw?

The primaries are generally more rigid, anti-establishment conservatives who shun status quo candidates. The previous election was pretty much the same thing, Bachman, Perry etc, all had their moment in the sun, before the party finally picked Romney. This time around was the same story, except that Trump had tremendous staying power. Carson now moves into the top spot for a while, before eventually fading away as well. I don't expect Trump or Carson to be serious contenders at all.

What's left is Rubio, Bush and Kasich as more realistic options for the GOP candidate. Bush apparently is running out of money and supporters. Kasich despite his moderate approach (he's not that moderate) will be seen as RINO by the base. Which leaves Rubio, who IMO is completely not ready for prime time. Yes he's good at talking points to the base, but he's inexperienced, poor off the cuff, often nervous and Hillary would eat his lunch in a debate. I can see him in a Veep spot, but no way as POTUS material.

I do suspect the GOP will want Rubio because they feel he appeals to Latins. But the Republicans forget that Cubans and Mexicans aren't the same thing. Likewise, if Hillary picks Castro as her Veep, then she'll lock up the Latin vote (which already trends left to begin with) for sure.

All in all, as you said, it's a very weak field. The GOP has created this problem though. They catered to fringe ideologues, hyper religious constituents, gun fanatics etc and now must answer to their new bosses. This leaves no room for a moderate candidate, and why the GOP despise anybody they suspect may not hold dear their beliefs on abortion, religion, guns, middle east policy, privatization and so on.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I just heard Trump's father was a Clan member. 14

How is that not politically devastating?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Cramer wrote:

All in all, as you said, it's a very weak field. The GOP has created this problem though. They catered to fringe ideologues, hyper religious constituents, gun fanatics etc and now must answer to their new bosses. This leaves no room for a moderate candidate, and why the GOP despise anybody they suspect may not hold dear their beliefs on abortion, religion, guns, middle east policy, privatization and so on.

Pretty much why they are going to get beaten in the general election.  The Democrats can pretty much count on the women and minority vote and probably the young voters as well.  Republicans have been depending the old southern white vote for far too long.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I just heard Trump's father was a Clan member. 14

How is that not politically devastating?

In theory it should be, but he's still more sane than a Jindal or Carson type.

Anyway I'm "European", I'm confused why Americans would vote for almost any of their politicians.

Board footer