You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Just say no to corporate cash grabs

AtariLegend wrote:

For the sake of not derailing this thread and not starting an argument, I'm not going to post quotes. However I'm sure theirs people here who remember what I'm referring to.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Anyone who was disappointed with Izzy for appearing with the band in 2006 and forward were not going to care about what was going on with that incarnation of GnR anyway.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:

Izzy benefits greatly from the sort of eulogising and myth making normally reserved for dead artists. I think it's a result of the fact that he's so low-key, he might as well be with Cobain.

otto wrote:
AtomsNest wrote:

Yes. Apparently Axl, Slash and Duff can't write a song without him.

It's ridiculous imo.

And in your opinion to suggest he should be dead like Cobain is the way to Deal with it?

Kudos for you, sir!

In fairness, I took that phrase "he might as well be with Cobain", to mean like "he is so low key, it's just as if he were already dead like Cobain".

I don't think it was intended to suggest anything should happen to Izzy, more that a casual fan would be forgiven for thinking it already had as he's been absent from the media for a very long time.

Which plays to the premise I've been suggesting that there's a certain mythology to some of the GNR story.

Where we agree is I think each member of GNR really added in their own style - duff's style might have come from punk but it really suites Slash's playing - you can hear it even in VR. Izzy brought some great song structures that have a stonsy vibe that appealed to both Axl and Slash and suited their abilities. Slash has those aerosmith and blues chops. Axl brings the elton influence and quite a bit of classic metal at times.

I get what you're saying - Izzy for sure contributed some great important stuff - but I felt the article took it too far to suggest that without him life will suck - at the end of the day to me putting Axl and Slash together is putting one of the greatest guitarists of all time with one of the greatest vocalists of all time. That has to count for something!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Is anyone going to say Slash is "spineless" or that they've "lost respect" for Slash in the same way certain people (not pointing fingers) in this very thread called Izzy and Duff?

James Lofton wrote:

I don't remember any backlash against Izzy when he started performing with new GNR. I remember nerds going ape shit and being on their knees begging for Dust N Bones and 14 Years. Even hardcore CD fans were happy he was there.

Who "lost respect" for Izzy and Duff?

I will back Atari-Legend on that aspect.

There were people around in the community who complained that Duff was selling out or something by returning to an Axl led GNR without coming back as an equal partner. They complained it was legitimising the CD era and so on.

I'm not sure if it directly happened here, but I remember posts to that effect at a few places online.

To clarify my stance here: I don't mean to be anti-izzy - I just felt the article was the opposite - basically saying slash and Axl suck even together without Izzy is going to far to me. It would be better if Izzy was there - but it's still GNR worthy when he's not to me.

As for "losing respect" for Slash....it will be interesting to see how it goes down if the shows become a repeat of the vegas residency....I feel one of the interesting things lacking so far in this reunion is some explanation.

I mean Axl was on record as saying 'one of us will die first' and Slash always said it might be fun one day but he would need to know things were different now.

Normally if this type of thing happened we would get a 'reunion story' - sort of like Duff walking in on Axl's shower that time. Some freak story of how it happened. Or you'd get the Joe/Steven type interviews where everyone admits that despite the bullshit they realised they were born to compliment each other musically.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

at the end of the day to me putting Axl and Slash together is putting one of the greatest guitarists of all time with one of the greatest vocalists of all time. That has to count for something!

It does count for a lot.
I've been against a reunion for a long time and once it was real, even without the prospect of new music on the horizon I jumped the gun and made myself go deep into debt to go see it in person.
What the article points to and what has been my point for a long time is that there's gotta be more to it than just a cash grab tour to make it worth it. And for it to be legit to the legacy, from a songwriting standpoint, Izzy needs to be involved.
That's what I took from it at least and that's what I, most than read, want.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Is anyone going to say Slash is "spineless" or that they've "lost respect" for Slash in the same way certain people (not pointing fingers) in this very thread called Izzy and Duff?

James Lofton wrote:

I don't remember any backlash against Izzy when he started performing with new GNR. I remember nerds going ape shit and being on their knees begging for Dust N Bones and 14 Years. Even hardcore CD fans were happy he was there.

Who "lost respect" for Izzy and Duff?

I will back Atari-Legend on that aspect.

There were people around in the community who complained that Duff was selling out or something by returning to an Axl led GNR without coming back as an equal partner. They complained it was legitimising the CD era and so on.

I'm not sure if it directly happened here, but I remember posts to that effect at a few places online.

To clarify my stance here: I don't mean to be anti-izzy - I just felt the article was the opposite - basically saying slash and Axl suck even together without Izzy is going to far to me. It would be better if Izzy was there - but it's still GNR worthy when he's not to me.

As for "losing respect" for Slash....it will be interesting to see how it goes down if the shows become a repeat of the vegas residency....I feel one of the interesting things lacking so far in this reunion is some explanation.

I mean Axl was on record as saying 'one of us will die first' and Slash always said it might be fun one day but he would need to know things were different now.

Normally if this type of thing happened we would get a 'reunion story' - sort of like Duff walking in on Axl's shower that time. Some freak story of how it happened. Or you'd get the Joe/Steven type interviews where everyone admits that despite the bullshit they realised they were born to compliment each other musically.

Yep, some people called Duff spineless and wondered how he could turn his back on "his boy" Slash by performing with NuGNR. They didn't so much have a problem with him opening for Guns, but playing with them was blasphemy. People were a little more forgiving with Izzy since he had Indiana ties to Axl from what I recall.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think adding an asterisk to the group is beyond stupid. No Izzy, no deal... That thought process is a grain of salt in the ocean. I care about seeing Axl and Slash on stage again. Corporate cash grabs; I'm really getting too old not to laugh at that.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Chow, where did the writer say Slash and Axl suck? He called Appetite the greatest album ever. Pretty damn sure he appreciates their talent. The point is it's not GN'R without Izzy. All 4 of those guys were important. Page and Plant wasn't Led Zeppelin in the mid-90's.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

What the hell are we bitching about today? I want the AFD 5, but we all considered the UYI 92-93 years GNR.. There was no Adler and Izzy only played a few shows in 1993.  Izzy could be full time in GNR if he wanted. So since it is his choice and he is alive and doing well, that is on Izzy. Izzy made Izzy's bed.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What the hell are we bitching about today? I want the AFD 5, but we all considered the UYI 92-93 years GNR.. There was no Adler and Izzy only played a few shows in 1993.  Izzy could be full time in GNR if he wanted. So since it is his choice and he is alive and doing well, that is on Izzy. Izzy made Izzy's bed.

Who cares what Izzy decides. I don't consider the 92-93 time period to be GN'R except for those 93 shows when Izzy came back. But even then it wasn't the real deal because they didn't create any new music.

I'm glad Axl and Slash don't hate each other anymore. That is good to see. Ultimately I would like to hear Axl's voice on an album of new material at some point regardless of who he works with. But it's not GN'R without the Big 4 at a minimum. And it doesn't have to be called GN'R. Nothing wrong with a new name.

Board footer