You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

buzzsaw wrote:

I love how we all talk like we know anything about anything.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

We are all big shots as we type from our encrypted iPhones.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know shit about shit ... i know that ... my political knowledge extends to what Colbert, Stewart, Oliver and Noah tell me

Life is depressing enough without getting too knowledgeable about this type of shit. ..I can't be bothered with politics in my own country let alone someone else's

But even I can see that any of the current Republican candidates are bad news ... imo fox news types spread their bullshit until people believe ... they are relentless ... imo western society as a whole are far to subcepitable to the sway of the media ... we are a bit luckier in Canada ... the news media is far more neutral

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

We are all big shots as we type from our encrypted iPhones.

iPhones are for suckers

Written from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know shit about shit ... i know that ... my political knowledge extends to what Colbert, Stewart, Oliver and Noah tell me

Life is depressing enough without getting too knowledgeable about this type of shit. ..I can't be bothered with politics in my own country let alone someone else's

But even I can see that any of the current Republican candidates are bad news ... imo fox news types spread their bullshit until people believe ... they are relentless ... imo western society as a whole are far to subcepitable to the sway of the media ... we are a bit luckier in Canada ... the news media is far more neutral

Oliver is funny. Stewart sucks. I like Bill Maher too. But you need some conservative views too to balance it out.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Here's the reality: we don't know enough to really make informed decisions on things like the Iraq War.  Nor should we.  We're supposed to elect people we trust to make good decisions because they have the information we don't.  Somewhere along the way we lost our way though and the system isn't working the way it's supposed to.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Total beat down by Trump. Fuck. I don't see anyone stopping the Trump Freight Train.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

All of the Establishment hacks in the media are shitting their pants. Funny thing is they have given Trump hundreds of millions of dollars in free advertising ever since he first jumped into the campaign.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Interesting analysis:

Trump is going to take this I think. Don't see anyone outmatching him in a debate. Look at how he just unmanned Jeb in those clips.

He is playing this like a game of chess. First the took on Bush, now he's pounding on Cruz. Next will be Rubio.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

With anti-trade message, Trump targets 'Reagan Democrats'

To hear Donald Trump tell it, blue-collar workers here are suffering as much as ever, their livelihoods endangered by the familiar combination of foreign competition and U.S. companies eager to hold down labor costs.

It's Trump's mantra. He repeats it again and again at campaign stops like the one he made here last week. A leading contender for the Republican presidential nomination, Trump has made the health of the U.S. manufacturing a cornerstone of his insurgent campaign.

In doing so, Trump is targeting a big pool of potential voters among disaffected blue-collar workers, even if it means alienating the business community and conservative free-market advocates and brings accusations of demagoguery.

He vows to slap penalties on goods produced by U.S. companies outside the country, make it harder for China and others to export their goods, and tear up trade deals that he says hurt the U.S. industry. “I wonder how many Chevrolets are in the middle of Tokyo?’ he told the Anderson crowd to applause. “I would say none.”

And at the economy-themed Republican debate held Wednesday in Boulder, Colorado., Trump pledged to “bring jobs back” from China and Mexico.

There are signs that Trump’s strategy is working.

Polls show that the bulk of Trump’s support comes from men who lack a college degree and make less than $40,000 a year, the kind of workers who once formed the backbone of the U.S. manufacturing economy. They have helped propel Trump to the top of popularity rankings in South Carolina, a key early primary state, where he is outpacing rival Ben Carson.

“Some of the Republicans get so tied up with free trade,” said Lee Cole, a Republican attorney from nearby Williamston who attended Trump’s event. “Over the past 20 years, we’ve lost all of our manufacturing jobs,” Cole said of his hometown. “Anything that talks about getting some of that back I think really resonates well here.”

Government data shows that less than 30 percent of Americans have four-year college degrees and more than half of U.S. workers make less than $30,000 a year, so at stake is a vast pool of potential voters.

"He's tapped into an uneasiness, and he's done it cleverly," said Chip Felkel, a Republican strategist in Greenville, South Carolina, who is not aligned with Trump. "He's played it to the hilt."

TRUMP DEMOCRATS?

At the Anderson event, Trump talked up his blue-collar support, comparing himself to Franklin Roosevelt. His campaign brings up another name: Ronald Reagan.

Ed McMullen, Trump's campaign strategist in South Carolina, says the billionaire contender has his sights on “Reagan Democrats” - working-class voters who tend to support moderates. Those moderate voters famously switched sides and helped Republican Reagan win the 1980 election and the Trump campaign believes it could happen again in 2016 if he makes it to the general election.

According to a Pew Research Center survey taken late last month, Trump’s supporters tend to attend church less frequently than the entire Republican electorate and more often identify themselves as "moderate" or "liberal."
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e … HX20151031

James is always talking about how we need another Reagan. Who would have thought that Trump might be the one.

Board footer