You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

Not that it would have made much of a difference, other than seeing how many had the balls to stand up for their convictions (it's normally not alot)... but it looks like their won't actually be a vote in parliament after-all.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 … awyers-say

Lomax wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Why is it European members only when us Europeans have been commenting on American politics on here for years?

I think (seriously hope) that title is supposed to be a bit tongue in cheek, of course this discussion shouldn't be Europeans only. Although I will say that, in my experience, Europeans are typically more aware of American politics than Americans are of European politics... smile.

Very true. That is because Europe is a mess and the US is a superpower and what happens in the US matteres but what happens in europe matters much less.
To be honest, you guys get held to way higher standards as a results.
The whole of europe was up in arms over Trump wanting to build a wall, but they turned a blind eye when Hungary built a wall to keep Syrian refugees out.

Source: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/648 … n-Schengen

AtariLegend wrote:

Take your baiting somewhere else. This is not a discussion on Trump.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Let's try and keep the US vs. Europe to a minimum here. Use the election thread instead.

AtariLegend wrote:

So Gove failed in the end. He got rid off Cameron/Boris, but he forgot to sabotage Theresa.

Something seems off though about this. Leadsom never came across well for me. She has said some absurd things and then backtracked. She also has most of the far right MPs backing her. The press is going after her too, including the right wing which seems strange.

May however who was a remain-er, but stayed out of the public mess this campaign became has most of the other MPs and the press backing her. It seems inevitable that she'll be PM. I just find it strange that more people aren't attacking her.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

May seems pretty much in favour... They couldn't stop using pictures of her the other day. She also had the most detailed profile on certain sites. I don't think it has to do with her extended experience.

AtariLegend wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 … -austerity

She wants to repeal the ban on fox hunting and isn't a fan of gay marriage being legal.

I don't think she'll win, but it'll be an interesting social experiment to see how many votes she picks up from the Tory membership.

AtariLegend wrote:

Britain First/BNP/UKIP ect. campaigning for Andrea Leadsom.

I guess that confirms who the lesser of two evils is.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

Bye Leadsom!

Theresa May looks set to be crowned Prime Minister as Andrea Leadsom quits Tory leadership race

Andrea Leadsom quitting Tory leadership race
    Theresa May looks set to be crowned Prime Minister
    Theresa May cuts short UK tour and heads back to London
    May promises to lead 'Conservatives for working people'
    Andrea Leadsom apologises to May for motherhood comments

Andrea Leadsom: I'm quitting the race

Andrea Leadsom has announced she has quit the leadership race and endorses Theresa May.

She said: "The best interests of our country inspired me to stand for our leadership. I believe in leaving the EU a bright future awaits. The referendum result represented a clear desire for change. A nine-week leadership campaign at such a critical point for our country is highly undesirable."

“The interests of our country are best served by the immediate appointment of a strong and well-supported Prime Minister," she said in a letter to 1922 Committee chairman Graham Brady.

"I am therefore withdrawing from the leadership election and I wish Theresa May the very greatest success. I assure her of my full support.”

Conservative leadership candidate Andrea Leadsom has announced she is pulling out of the race to replace David Cameron as prime minister.

The energy minister has paved the way for Home Secretary Theresa May, as the only remaining candidate, to be named Tory leader and PM as early as today.

12:34 pm 1922 Committee meeting to 'formally confirm' May as leader

The 1922 Committee must "formally confirm" Theresa May's appointment as Conservative Party leader and a meeting is taking place this afternoon, the committee's chairman Graham Brady has announced.

Asked if there was a chance the contest could be reopened he said there would be "none whatsoever".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 … rea-leads/

AtariLegend wrote:

I bet Gove is furious, since his backers went to her... that's why he dropped out.

I'm worried about what the country will look like after May shapes it by 2020, but it couldn't be any worse than appointing someone like Leadsom.

Hilarious speech from the Tory party speaker about how May has been elected leader of the Conservative party. The votes never even went to the 0.2% of the population it would have went to in September.

Great day for democracy!

Board footer