You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

johndivney wrote:

DUP scumbag voters will give conservatives their majority. Only need 322 since scumbag sinn fein voters means that party won't be taking their 7(!) seats, & they'll have 325 w/DUP's 10 seats.

Fuck this place.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Don't know much about the DUP, I've been told by a couple of Northern Irish friends they're not a nice bunch?

johndivney wrote:

They're a bunch of evangelical psychopaths. They're a backwards looking gaggle of hypocrites, corrupt to their rotten core. They're creationists who have vetoed & blocked gay marriage and abortion. Bible thumpers. In terms of governing their record speaks for itself: two scandals (Red Sky & Renewable Heating Initiative) where they have proven how corrupt they are, and yet people still flock in their sectarianism to vote for them.

They probably will kowtow to the tories eventually & be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. Or maybe not. It looks like the tories need the DUP to form a government, but by the same token the DUP need the conservatives because they can have no alliance with the progressives.

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Don't know much about the DUP, I've been told by a couple of Northern Irish friends they're not a nice bunch?

Basically UKIP with paramilitary ties (UDA), nasty views and less charisma.

It's not dramatically different if Labour had entered power with Sinn Finn (IRA links and all) with the main difference being that UDA are protestants and IRA Catholics.

National news doesn't really cover NI that much, that's why you don't know.

It's pretty surreal.

johndivney wrote:

This election seems to indicate a different picture than the one Brexit offered: a clearer divide between conservatives & progressives. I don't know why labour and the progressives are celebrating quite so much: a conservative alliance between the torys and the DUP is the stuff of nightmares! But that it's a slim, shaky majority is our only saving grace.

A Private Eye

The irony the Tories spent the campaign smearing Corbyn with IRA links and now will be forming a government with a party propped up by paramilitary is brilliant if it wasn't real.

On the positive it only takes a few centered Tory mp's and they'll struggle to pass anything through parliamant, which is a good thing imo. Keeps them in check.

The major error imo is she framed the election about her having the strength to deliver a hard brexit. They seem to have selectively forgotten Brexit was basically 50/50. Basing a GE on delivering an extreme version of something only 50% at absolute best wanted and in reality probably far less, certainly on those terms, was suicide.

johndivney wrote:

Still depressing and fucked up how many people voted conservatives after a decade plus of austerity & maltreatment.

AtariLegend wrote:

This is really surreal, not sure if it's good or bad.

Potentially good, because it's almost doomed to failure meaning another election and maybe even another referendum. Which I think would go the other way.

Probably bad, because May's trying to stay on even though her own party is kicking and screaming at her to go. She's still going to try and police the Internet/scrap human rights (which the DUP would support). DUP are also so pro-brexit. I live in one of the safest DUP seats of the country, but I don't know many who actually support this outside of the drunk ramble rousers stumbling out of bars. They only vote DUP to "keep the *insert expletive about Catholics* and the IRA out". I don't know people who actually care about their policies (although I'm a bit of a loner tbh)

The whole thing is a cluster fuck.

A Private Eye

May's showing her true colours these last few days. Power hungry, it's all about being PM, nothing else is important. She was a remainer who switched to leave to become PM, she still couldn't admit in the run up to this election that leave was in the best interest of the country. Yet she's the right person for the job?

She called an election supposedly on the premise of letting the UK show her that we supported her stance on Brexit. She even declared prior that six lost seats in her eyes was an election defeat. On that basis she got toasted. Yet she still clings on, now aligning herself with the DUP to stay as PM which at best is rank hypocrisy and at worst very dangerous. She seemingly has no regard for the consequences of her actions as long as she stays as top dog. Her speech on Friday morning was disgraceful, literally no acknowledgement of what had just happened.

I think we're heading for another election, half her mp's want her gone, she can't last.

Corbyn is still talking of forming a minority government which I think is a mistake. He needs too many parties coming together, I think it would end up too messy.

If he bides his time he'll get another election shot within 12 months.

AtariLegend wrote:

She was never a remainier, she only changed her stance during the EU Referendum campaign. Where she stayed out of the spotlight and was careful to say every little in defense of the EU while Boris and Cameron where using it to fight for leadership of the party.

Her saying as little as possible helped her get the job, don't forget apart from Philip Hammond the chancellor she's surrounded herself completely with people who wanted out.

Never forget how right wing the vicars daughter is;

Board footer