You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Re: New Guns N Roses member Melissa Reese

Lomax wrote:

Some serious misogyny going on in this thread tongue in cheek or not. It's fucked up.

Agreed. Can't stand that bullshit.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

... Go cry about it on facebook.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

roll

Anyways, I'm gonna try to find out more, if this is temporary or permanent. I know Mother Goose didn't want to tour anymore and wanted to stay in studio for guns, so this could have been in the works for a while, but I'm more curious about her role in the band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Fortus performed in the band for six years before appearing as a dog whistle on the album and people considered him a member. I'm not holding her to a different standard. She's onstage...she's in.

I agree she's a member, but, the comparison with fortus is a little strange. Fortus was playing the rhythm guitar parts - it's a slightly more important role than triggering the robot sounds in better smile

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Lomax wrote:

Some serious misogyny going on in this thread tongue in cheek or not. It's fucked up.

tumblr_o41n2uRcki1suqoovo1_500.gif

I think some are a little awkward with her arrival because there's a few songs in the catalogue that, if not entirely misogynist themselves, certainly at least contain a lot of angry   'Male Perspective'. I'm talking about both the style and tone and lyrics of stuff like 'Locomotive'.

I'm not saying Axl himself is necessarily those things, but one of the interesting parts of GNR to me is how it can nail feelings of love, anger, racism, prejudice from different perspectives people might have and sometimes perhaps only have for a few moments in a certain situation.

I think that's why she feels odd up there to some, also, because this is a reunion....so it's about getting back to old GNR vibe....frankly...I can imagine a young fortus hanging out with a young slash and axl...easier than I can see them sharing a bus with a Melissa.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
johndivney wrote:

she's useful in the kitchen. What's not to like?

Crawl back in your hole cave man.

Hadn't heard of her before now, but to those dismissing her as someone who can just press some buttons. Please. Just by giving those videos that James posted a skim you can tell she's a highly talented multi instrumentalist who can also sing.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:
misterID wrote:

roll

Anyways, I'm gonna try to find out more, if this is temporary or permanent. I know Mother Goose didn't want to tour anymore and wanted to stay in studio for guns, so this could have been in the works for a while, but I'm more curious about her role in the band.

I thought pitman got the boot for running his mouth??

And to be clear, I've no problems with women in a this or any rock band... It's just more a joke about the endless revolving door.

Axl S wrote:
johndivney wrote:

she's useful in the kitchen. What's not to like?

Crawl back in your hole cave man.

Hadn't heard of her before now, but to those dismissing her as someone who can just press some buttons. Please. Just by giving those videos that James posted a skim you can tell she's a highly talented multi instrumentalist who can also sing.

Total white knight shit here.... I posted her recorded work history a page back...  Knowing someone, who knew someone landed her this gig... nothing else.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

In fairness, so is pittman and he's usually also dismissed the same way.

To me the surprising thing is that the replaced that role at all, I figured it would go the way of the 3rd guitarist. I mean sure there's some samples to trigger during the CD era songs - but surely you could build that into Dizzy's keys.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

In fairness, so is pittman and he's usually also dismissed the same way.

Something else that never made sense. Fine, in a live setting Pitman had a fairly auxiliary role, but to deny there is value in having someone with many talents for the purposes of writing seems strange.

deadsouth wrote:

Total white knight shit here.... I posted her recorded work history a page back...  Knowing someone, who knew someone landed her this gig... nothing else.

Not really white knight shit. Just calling out BS.

Also complaining that someone got a gig by knowing someone... some of the AFD lineup only ended up in the band cause they knew other members. That's often how people fall in to gigs!

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think some are a little awkward with her arrival because there's a few songs in the catalogue that, if not entirely misogynist themselves, certainly at least contain a lot of angry   'Male Perspective'. I'm talking about both the style and tone and lyrics of stuff like 'Locomotive'.

Very true. Fortus played guitar for Rihana for a while if I recall. She's got some fairly strong sexual lyrics in her stuff sang form a female POV. I'd imagine watching him strum along to those would feel just as strange.

Board footer