You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: DEF LEPPARD's PHIL COLLEN Clarifies GUNS N' ROSES 'Lame' Comments: 'I

monkeychow wrote:

To be honest I've thought the same thing for a while now.

For all we hear about how they're artists - both of them seemed unable or unwilling to recognise the other's contribution to their art.

As if Slash was ever going to find another Axl for vocals, and as if Axl was going to stumble into someone better for his songs than Slash. It's troublesome that it took them 30 years to give up the stubborn effort to fight it.

If it was about the art, not money, not ego, not other stuff they would have compromised earlier.

If they make a new album it will be better late than never, if not, then in a couple more years when it's all over we'll be left thinking "GNR - the band that could have done so much".

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

For all we hear about how they're artists - both of them seemed unable or unwilling to recognise the other's contribution to their art.

As if Slash was ever going to find another Axl for vocals, and as if Axl was going to stumble into someone better for his songs than Slash. It's troublesome that it took them 30 years to give up the stubborn effort to fight it.

If it was about the art, not money, not ego, not other stuff they would have compromised earlier.

If they make a new album it will be better late than never, if not, then in a couple more years when it's all over we'll be left thinking "GNR - the band that could have done so much".

Except I think Axl did put all of them into an impossible situation. Like Izzy once said, Axl was a singer. Very talented for sure, but not the entire band. He put himself above the band and that is where it all fell apart.

Lomax wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

But he's in Def Leppard. That says it all.

Yes he is in Def Leppard. This says it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYkBE50781s

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

I've enjoyed Lep's music since I was 11. That's nearly my entire life. They're woven into so many memories and events over time.

If only GnR had stuck together, or at least reformed after a few years, they'd have an amazing catalog.

One thing is for sure...time FLIES.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slightly OT - but what should I listen to to get into Def Lep.

The only song I know of theirs is "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - which I'll confess I like when in the mood for a bit of 80s rock type stuff.

Lomax wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The only song I know of theirs is "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - which I'll confess I like when in the mood for a bit of 80s rock type stuff.

Leppard are never OT wink

I got your back on this Monkey. Their catalog is too big and they have no album that covers the whole Def Leppard vibe. I made a friend a Def Leppard Mix CD a few years back and after a week he bought tickets to his first Leppard show.

Here's my patented "How to get a friend into Def Leppard" It includes the best 2 songs from each album and 3 from X because although that album has a lot of ballads it also has some of Leps heaviest stuff and 4 from the new album because it is genuinely some of their best work.

CD 1
On Through the Night:
1. Wasted
2. Rock Brigade

High N' Dry:
3. Let it Go
4. Hit N' Run

Pyromania:
5. Too Late for Love
6. Stagefright

Hysteria:
7. Women
8. Run Riot

Adrenalize:
9. White Lightning
10. Tear it Down

Slang:
11. Pearl of Euphoria
12. Turn to Dust

CD2:

Euphoria:
13. Paper Sun
14. Kings of Oblivion

X:
15. Cry
16. 4 Lettered Word
17. Scar

Yeah:
18. Rock On
19. The Golden Age of Rock N' Roll

Songs from the Sparkle Lounge:
20.Go
21. Gotta Let it Go

Def Leppard (Self-titled):
22. Battle of My Own
23. Sea of Love
34. Let's Go
35. Wings of an Angel

That list skips all their ballads and pop songs because if you want that side of Def Leppard, just turn on your local classic rock station.

And just to whet your appetite here are some modern Lepp songs with a real biting edge:

Cry from X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiUjLQOZaEI

Go from Sparkle Lounge

I'd also suggest listtening to Phil's solo band manraze. Its got him on vox and guitar his friend on Bass and the Sex Pistols drummer on Drums.

Also Viv Vampbell the other guitarist got back with the old Dio band to record an album just before Jimmy McBains death and that is one hell of an album. It's really got that classic Dio feel.

Cramer wrote:

I've enjoyed Lep's music since I was 11. That's nearly my entire life. They're woven into so many memories and events over time.

If only GnR had stuck together, or at least reformed after a few years, they'd have an amazing catalog.

I bought my first Lepp CD and My first Aerosmith CD on the day I learned to drive.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Cramer wrote:

GN'R already has an amazing catalog. As a result of imploding so fast, they didn't turn into one of those bands with a bunch of albums that all sound the same.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

First album I got into from them was hysteria...wayyy back when it first came out

My favorite album is "high and dry" ... "Pyromania" is fantastic too...I'd stick with those 3 albums at most for starters

The "rock of ages" 2 disk collection is pretty awesome tho...hits and deep cuts...it's the only Def Leppard I have in my collection atm...2 thumbs up for sure and my recommendation if u wanna try to get into the band

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of … Collection

Or u could just go for "the vault/GH" if ur unsure .... but it's lacking quite a few songs imho

Used to be a big fan...then kinda list interest during the Adrenalize era .... grunge was in full swing and after that i starting moving towards heavier stuff like TooL and Pantera

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Or, we could enjoy this time that they're playing live shows together again, however long that may last. Obviously new music is the ultimate for us diehards and I'll be upset if we don't get any. But that doesn't mean that 5 years from now if they've long since retired that I'd look back at these shows and say they weren't any good or worth it.

With that being said, I think we'll get some good stuff along the way. At least I hope we do.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

https://youtu.be/UclpJ4v_Yds
High and Dry is my favorite, Pyromania was the start of Mutt Lange changing their direction imo. Rick Allen only played the Hi Hats and cymbals on Pyromania.. There are songs I like off just about every album but after Hysteria I think the direction of the band was aimed towards more pop.

Switch 625 is a great instrumental
Billys Got A Gun, Armageddon It, Heartbreak, Mirror Mirror, Me and My Wine, Rock Brigade are some of their harder tracks.

Def Leppard was my first favorite band i ever had because i thought it was amazing that the drummer had one arm, and while looking for Def Leppard Cd's at my uncles I came across Appetite for Destruction and I only recognized Sweet Child and PC from hearing them on the radio. Well I took that Cd and listened to the whole thing over and over again then went back to find more Guns Cd's.

Board footer