You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: For the tour - Rules SG would have in place

bigbri wrote:

If he's true to his word, if you bring Matt in, then you have to bring Adler too. If his word Isn't worth anything (my guess) then you get Matt by himself who we all think doesn't get along with Axl. That's a different problem.

#BringBackBrain

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I bet the Mexico shows will be awesome. Rabid fans but no pressure. I bet we see some good shit there.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I bet the Mexico shows will be awesome. Rabid fans but no pressure. I bet we see some good shit there.

Hopefully the fans are great. That is what truly makes a gig special. 1988 Ritz, 1988 Philly, 1991 Rio, 1991 Philly are good examples. The rock gods of the past are rolling in their graves with this bullshit cell phone culture we have nowadays.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

IMO the sky isn't falling. I've heard much worse performances the past 15 years.

I agree...but then you'd expect an Axl/Slash/Duff line up to be significantly better at replicating the classic GNR sound than DJ or Robin, after-all it was their sound in the first place.

I will state for the record that I'm loving these shows, and I'm nerding out for stuff like the cochella jungle proshot - so I can understand why some feel it's nitpicking.

That said, I won't lie, despite my enjoyment I can hear what Smoking Guns is talking about.

Normally when you see Slash and Duff together you are instantly overwhelmed at the chemistry. Look at the performance at the Rock Hall of Fame. Look at VR when they play brownstone.

There's something about the chemistry of the current line up that isn't normal - it's like they don't quite have their shit together - which is HIGHLY ODD considering the normal professionalism of guys like Frank and Richard, and how with the exception of NR and Estranged and the CD tracks, Slash has been heavily playing GNR tracks live and nailing the hell out of them the past 6 years. You would expect them to come out and devastate - as that's what they normally do - but somehow you can kind of still see the pencil lines under the ink this time - it's great don't get me wrong - but there's def something not quite right about it too.

I'm a matt fan so obviously I wonder if it's that, but then I also worry maybe Slash is losing sobriety or something, or is there some sort of dynamic going on - like there's disagreement how the songs are to go and people are passively-agresively playing them different live to rehersal. It can't just be lack of rehersal - these guys have put together amazing gigs in a matter of days before. Maybe Slash or Frank had the flu?

Something doesn't add up. We have proshots of frank playing all these songs in time a couple of years back. We have proshots of Slash playing them all perfectly a couple of years back.

Why has it changed is the question.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Maybe they aren't on as good of terms as we think, and it's fucking up their chemistry? Maybe they're nervous to be with Axl again? Maybe this is just a cash grab and they are mailing it in? Maybe Frank sucks? Maybe we speculate too much?

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Just watched this again and I think its killer. Slash is sloppy in the intro, he starts in fast, but it works. I seriously have no complaints. It didn't ruin my Christmas.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:

Just watched this again and I think its killer. Slash is sloppy in the intro, he starts in fast, but it works. I seriously have no complaints. It didn't ruin my Christmas.

No that is a kick ass performance. Maybe the best performance they had all night. What made it great was Axl.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

I guess... I can't hear 'it' yet, whatever is off you all might be pointing to.

I'd like to state a few things...

1.) They may have consciously decided to play things sort of a new way (faster pace?), different than they had been in solo efforts, and different than before.
2.) Axl's chemistry and stage presence is completely 100% off by being in that chair. Might be pressure, anxiety....they certainly didn't rehearse planning to have him immobile.
3.) Are these *not* the largest crowds and production Duff and Slash and Richard and Frank have done in a long time?
4.) It's been 23 years, the band had a 3rd guitarist for years - everyone is doing something different, they can't do it like they did before, all the variables are different.

AtariLegend wrote:

Obviously Smoking didn't watch the Paradise City video or is dodging the question. Slash is speeding up the track, before the drums even kick in.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Slash is speeding up the track, before the drums even kick in.

Indeed he is.

He also seemed to make a few little flubs during the gig which while seemed odd, he's always been prone to the occasional mistake but generally he's been very impressive on stage these past years.

The question to me though is even if the band has chosen to speed up the songs, it's curious that they don't seem to be in proper time with each other at various places.

They don't have the cohesive feel on a single unit that VR had and GNR has had at times.

That said, the gigs are great, hopefully things will improve as they tour together more. It was just surprising.

Board footer