You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: New Info regarding CD

Sky Dog wrote:

They put the word out to HTGTH through Mysteron....some people just don't believe him.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

can't you see they are already playing it?:nervous:

I see it, but I think it's only a pre-campaign. I expect much stronger anti-compamy comments from the Axl camp if CD doesn't get released for whatever reasons.

Sky Dog wrote:

Russ, the word that "the ball was in the record company's court"-vague, but I personally believed it was his way of saying that the album is done. Beta said NOTHING about downloading the album-read again-that is speculation from Classic Rock.:headbang:

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
madagas wrote:

pss and James you are partially right, don't get excited until we hear from the record company. Unfortunately, we don't know which record company as they could be trying to sell the project. Beta says "unspecified parties".:peace:

It's possible they are trying to sell it, but to be straight, Beta doesn't say "unspecified parties" - That isn't a direct quote from her, that's the magazine's words. Which would mean it was never mentioned who Axl was negotiating with, so it very well could be Universal.

I really am not reading into this much at all, I see this as somehow a reporter saw Beta somewhere and approached her almost like paparazzi. She was caught off guard, probably not very happy (hence the abrupt, smart ass replies) and said "Yes it's done, it's been done before Christmas. Everyone knows this." As for Summer/Christmas release, that doesn't make sense, it happens every year. And like someone pointed oujt this past year (Russtcb mybe??) Rock albums usually are not released around Christmas, Hip Hop albums are, Rock albums sell better in the spring/summer. And re; a Radiohead release, I don't think people are very "willing" to give Axl money after this long wait, so I don't see that happening. Maybe an online release for about $10 but I dunno, that's been talked about for years. VR talked about possibly doing that back before Contraband came out. Don't see it happening. Maybe that is what  they are negotiating. Axl doesn't feel they need some lavish marketing campaign, just an online release, whereas the label feels they need to invest $$ to sell the cd off the shelves.

Sky Dog wrote:

Mikka, yes, to me, it looks like they are beginning to start the blame game.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I believe this to an extent.. not that it'll be out in late summer though. But I bet they are negotiating on a finished album. I just can't see Axl releasing this album in any sort of innovative or risky fashion. The idea of Chinese Democracy being first released as a collection of mp3's and maybe a pdf document or two are saddening. Because we already have a collection of mp3's. This album will have unusually high importance in the area of liner notes, artwork, and a lyrics book. I think this will be released in the traditional, proven failure, way.

Negotiatians... could really take forever. Uni is not desperate for this to come out since there's little money to make back, and Axl has never been one to take shit from a label. He could walk away from the table and leave a finished CD in his vault for months, years, maybe forever.

Sky Dog wrote:

Yes he could. The downloading thing does seem like complete bullshit.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Communist China wrote:

Negotiatians... could really take forever. Uni is not desperate for this to come out since there's little money to make back, and Axl has never been one to take shit from a label. He could walk away from the table and leave a finished CD in his vault for months, years, maybe forever.

I think they'll be pretty keen to have it released. They'll never make all their money back, but even if CD only makes 5 million (for sake of argument), it's 5 million they wouldn't get otherwise. It's not a certainty but CD has potential to do very well, it could just as easily flop but it does have certain things in it's favour. The name GNR will always be a seller and to an extent the name CD is also a selling point, I'll assume after all this time they've got at least one hit single up their sleeve, a bit of good marketing regarding the whole 14 year wait kind of thing and the fact that every music magazine going will run a story on it when it's released gives this album a fighting chance. I appreciate there are as many cons to CD's pros but the factors I've listed above at least give it a figting chance, from there it largely depends how good the album is as to which direction it heads.

I'm quietly optimistic about this news, it seems without doubt the label now has the album, which as far as we know is the closest the album has ever got to coming out. That by no means guarantees it will come out any time soon (if ever) but at the very least it's a shoot of hope for 08.

Board footer