You are not logged in. Please register or login.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

Re: 7/5/16 Lisbon, Portugal AC/DC (First Show With Axl)

CSS 2.0 wrote:

Goddamn.

All there is to say.

younggunner
 Rep: 7 

younggunner wrote:

crazy time right now in gnr land

AtariLegend wrote:

Just seen this, but it looks like Duff watched the same stream we did!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Duff wanted to hear him out. Always the team player.

And Axl got through the gig without costume changes? 16

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Those fucking hats, though.

Like dude... Just wear regular clothes, and burn the hats.

The fuck is wrong with this?

13178649_1111285785589562_2314000732312081628_n_zpsftsvz09v.jpg

It would be wayyyyy cooler if he came out like that. Even that hat isn't tragic, and it'd be gone a song or two in.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Furbush wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/Y … svz09v.jpg

It would be wayyyyy cooler if he came out like that. Even that hat isn't tragic, and it'd be gone a song or two in.

Oh, leave off Axl's hat collection, it's not that bad. I'm just glad he ditched the weird pervert moustache. Still think he should grow his '06 beard back though, that was – oddly, given the stick he got for it at the time – his best look of recent years.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Furbush wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/Y … svz09v.jpg

Oh, leave off Axl's hat collection, it's not that bad. I'm just glad he ditched the weird pervert moustache. Still think he should grow his '06 beard back though, that was – oddly, given the stick he got for it at the time – his best look of recent years.

'06 Axl was coolest looking Axl.

I'm not backing off my stance on the hat. If anything, it ages him even more, and it's goofy as shit.

He sounds killer, but the chair isn't helping. I need a pro-shot video of the Troubadour just as a palate cleanser.

And when I look at his head?

I'm thinking "Let's get dangerous".

The bandana isn't great, but it's Axl, and that's kinda iconic.

I'm just saying... street clothes aren't so bad. He'd come off a bit more down-to-Earth and authentic.

And while I'm at it...

Someone please tell me where I can get that fucking Mickey shirt.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I seriously have no issues with the hats.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Axl's quite precious about his self-image. Pick any era of his career and you see a distinct generalized look. Unlike Bowie, who personalized each look, Axl just seems to throw stuff on himself to portray some particular corner of his mindscape. 2001 was the most phoned-in, there - sweatpants and unbuttoned shirts. He got the Rio plane at the nick of time due to emotional turmoil (you can imagine) and his apparel does suggest he saw the show as something of a work-out; he needs to overcome the challenge in order to further his cause. Hence, he gave the audience a very rudimentary Axl.

People did go on unnecessarily much about his weight, even then. I always thought the flack he got about his physical appearance contributed to the oversized jerseys. They were muu-muu-sized, at worst, and one thing they do particularly well is to cover up the body shape. Early on in '02, there was at least some form of consistency to this outfit. Before the VMAs and whatnot, the jerseys were more skimmed down, he had a bandanna and leather pants - a wholly Axl mash-up of clothing he somehow managed to get away with.

axl2002.jpg

There's a strange air of rock royalty in him, there. Dressing up for the occasion and making it feel right for the context. New band with a rough edge, waist down. The jersey can be read as 'team mate'. Throw in a nice jacket to bring it all together and wrap the olden days around your cornrows. I may be making excuses for his lack of taste, but whatever.

But the MVP went south by the infamous '02 tour. Sweatpants and sneakers, working his way through it. Jerseys got supersized, it seemed as if a part of him wanted to hide within them. They got paid a good deal of money for a spectacularly shoddy tour. This is one of the things bad management costed Axl. His comeback tour was scheduled around 5 times before the album was completed. Smart money would've kept them out doing festival shows and limited tours every other year during the CD production. But everybody aside Axl wanted to cash in on a tour and with ClearChannel, it was pretty obvious Axl had rather been home.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think he feels quite exposed on stage, he's made reference to it numerous times over the years even if indirectly. His high energy style and retreats to back stage mid song suggest he's not always completely at ease up there. I've always thought the hats were an extension of that. A way to hide himself to a degree and he certainly wouldn't be the first performer to do it. Coupled with the balding accusations that were thrown at him in the cornrow years, I guess hats became an obvious piece of stage attire.

For me that's why him walking out at Troubadour, no hat, no shades was a massive signal of intent. He felt comfortable again, back with his old mates ready to take on the world. Fast forward a few weeks and he's fronting AC/DC, from a chair, with the world watching again and waiting/hoping for him to slip up (metaphorically). No surprise then that the hats are back on, for now.

Board footer