You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Discussion of Axl's Voice: Only When It Was Funny?

misterID wrote:

I actually prefer RTB production over Beaven's, tbh.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

IMHO the record company deserves more blame than anyone. They release absolute garbage every week and they rejected Axl's work, which just made him even less likely to try releasing the music in a timely manner.

RAGE24
 Rep: 4 

RAGE24 wrote:

My first post here, I LOVE how Axl sounds with AC/DC!  It's freaking awesome!!!  Take nothing away from Brian, that guy gave his heart and soul to that band all these years, and sang that harsh vocal style night after night.  That has taken its toll as it would on any singer, regardless of any hearing issues.  It's just a very abusive way to sing. Look at Tom Kiefer from Cinderella and all the problems he has had.   Axl has had vocal issues, as is well known.  Back in 2006, he lost his voice before some shows and Sebastian Bach helped him out by getting with his doctor and/or vocal coach.  I certainly don't know all the details, but Axl regained his form rather quickly.  Axl is a perfectionist and will do whatever it takes to perform at the highest level.  He would have never offered his services to Angus and the gang is he didn't know he could sing those songs.  What's amazing is he gives you the best of Bon Scott along with Brian Johnson. He sounds like Brian did in his prime!  I've listened to the three concerts he has done with AC/DC and he is getting STRONGER, in my opinion.  I honestly bieleve he will finish these shows with them in great form and be all the more ready to hit the tour with GnR, who I will be seeing on July 12th in Pittsburgh.  If anything, this experience will prepare him even more for his bands tour.  Yes, time catches us all and takes its toll.  No matter who you are.  But he has really got his act together on many levels.  I like what I'm seeing and I like what I am hearing.  I hope he does record new material with Guns soon!  I am also not opposed to him recording an album with AC/DC should Angus ask him to do that.  Why not? What a great honor for him.  All the naysayers who are judging him from his past, I get it.  Easy thing to do.  But he is not going to blow this, no way, no how.  And I agree, seeing Guns with any other singer besides Axl, I couldn't accept that real well.  But AC/DC, like Van Halen, are one of the few bands who has made smart decisions when it comes to replacing their singer.  Angus is no dummy and neither is Axl.  If it rock and sounds amazing, go for it!  GnR and AC/DC are my two favorite bands.  I feel bad for Brian, but I am loving what I am hearing from one Axl Rose.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Was just talking about this today...imagine trying to fill brains shoes?  Talk about daunting! and axl has really stepped up the plate so far

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_-TEUuRy8

This is Axl's greatest vocal ever recorded since the Lies Album... It is perfect.. The outro of Rocket Queen...

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

^YES. Absolutely fucking YES. It's my belief that this is the 'target' he's aiming for when he was singing live in the 2000's. Rasp voice, clean voice, high, all the Axl-isms, all working together.... all blending into that guitar.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Some claim he's kicking ass on various performances and that's fine, its all subjective, but in every video I've watched of the past few CD tours I see a guy who doesn't care and is just going through the motions.

Those are some enthusiastic motions to go through with - not just for Axl, but the entire band.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

one thing that I believe gets overlooked when talking about Axl's vocals is how "in shape" he is. it's not the only factor, but it's an important one. not that he looked awful in 2001, but he had clearly put on some pounds. when he came back in 2006, you can tell he was focused and had been training. same thing in 2016.

and it's not necessarily how overweight a person is, but if you are doing regular training. aerobic exercise expands the lungs, which is important for good vocals.

I'm guessing Vince Neil hasn't hit a tread mill in 20 years, which is why he cuts every note short at all shows. whereas someone like Bruce Springsteen still sounds great in mid-60s.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

But then what of opera singers who have far more vocal power and far more weight?

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Standing completely still.
Also their practice/rehearsals would be aerobic in nature, as breathing and singing is important.

Also, completely different techniques.

Board footer