You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Axl at the Chinese Exchange

misterID wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
misterID wrote:

If Slash and Duff aren't doing more recording there wouldn't be any reason to lay out the old, soon isn't the word. Again, unless there's a renegotiation going on with the label.

I'm having trouble following what you mean. Could you clear it up?

James Lofton wrote:

THAT is the best thing about GNR in 2016......the label will want to captalize on the current interest in GNR. Whether its remnants of CD II, updated remixes of CD, or brand new material....they will want music with the GNR name attached to it in stores/on Itunes.

Agreed. I just hope they're not gun shy about CD II affecting their market value or being a commercial dud because Buckethead or Robin are gone.

I'd be curious to know the financial details of the Best Buy deal.

I don't know, basically Axl is using the reunion for a better deal and support for his album?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

They'd be mad to release CDII with Bucket, Bumble and Finck on it. They're seen as symbolic of the CD era, which – like it or not – is regarded as a joke by the wider public and the music press. Having finally patched things up with Slash, what people want is an Axl/Slash/Duff album. Strip the CD II tracks back to first principles and re-record with the current band – anything else is lunacy.

But I'm sticking to my line that we're not going to see new material before the end of 2017 at the earliest. The "regrouping" and the AFD anniversary will sell the tours in the interim.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Seems to me Axl still is pissed at Slash but tolerates it for money. He is still condescending and patronizing to him. Like he still has to let us know he was right and slash was wrong basically. That is the vibe I got. Talking about Coma and his work ethic are two instances. Slash always had good work ethic. But Axl acts like it is some new thing.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Seems to me Axl still is pissed at Slash but tolerates it for money. He is still condescending and patronizing to him. Like he still has to let us know he was right and slash was wrong basically. That is the vibe I got. Talking about Coma and his work ethic are two instances. Slash always had good work ethic. But Axl acts like it is some new thing.

I get what you're saying and agree to a point. But I think Axl was just expressing that he was pleased more than surprised that Slash was so willing and open to work on the CD songs. And I thought it was nice that he added Coma for Slash, a concession of sorts. The book stuff worries me a little, but then again at least they talked it out. It's not like they got back together and didn't address the elephant in the room. I'm sure Slash hashed some things out too. It's asking a lot for them to be best friends after so many years and all they went through. I'll take them being civil to one another and having a good working relationship. That's a start, and much further along than I could've imagined less than a year ago.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I get what you're saying and agree to a point. But I think Axl was just expressing that he was pleased more than surprised that Slash was so willing and open to work on the CD songs. And I thought it was nice that he added Coma for Slash, a concession of sorts. The book stuff worries me a little, but then again at least they talked it out. It's not like they got back together and didn't address the elephant in the room. I'm sure Slash hashed some things out too. It's asking a lot for them to be best friends after so many years and all they went through. I'll take them being civil to one another and having a good working relationship. That's a start, and much further along than I could've imagined less than a year ago.

I agree. I just wish he wouldn't go there. The coma line makes I look like Slash was begging Axl to play it and Axl only did it to make Slash happy. Why not say "it is a great song Slash and I wrote and I am glad we are playing it again because the fans love it"?

faldor

faldor wrote:

I don't see it that way. Regardless of the reasons they're playing it, I hope they continue to do so. I hope him sitting in the chair wasn't the main reason. I think he can still pull it off though. Seems to be fine on his feet with AC/DC right now.

ComeUpRoses
 Rep: 3 

ComeUpRoses wrote:

The coma line makes I look like Slash was begging Axl to play it and Axl only did it to make Slash happy.

That's not how I heard it at all. Here's the snippet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXFmZRObSK/

He was asked which songs he liked to play, he mentioned the CD ones and then added he liked to play Coma because he knew it would make Slash and the fans happy. To me it sounded thoughtful and gracious.

faldor

faldor wrote:
ComeUpRoses wrote:

The coma line makes I look like Slash was begging Axl to play it and Axl only did it to make Slash happy.

That's not how I heard it at all. Here's the snippet:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXFmZRObSK/

He was asked which songs he liked to play, he mentioned the CD ones and then added he liked to play Coma because he knew it would make Slash and the fans happy. To me it sounded thoughtful and gracious.

That's exactly how I took it. It's all open to interpretation. But I do not get the notion that he only decided to play Coma to throw Slash a bone. And even if that was the case, is that so bad? It's far better then saying, "screw Slash. Who cares what he wants to play and how he feels?"

Again, I think our expectations may have been a little out of whack. We weren't going to return to 1993 all of a sudden. These guys have been through a lot over the years, a lot of stuff has been said. All of that needed to be processed and dealt with. The fact that we are at this point is a minor miracle. I don't think we could ask for or expect much more.

I also thought it was interesting that Axl talked about how hard Slash and Duff have worked to get in rhythm with Frank, since that's been such a hot topic around here. Maybe it's still an ongoing process, but it seemed like Axl was saying that they play the songs at a different tempo these days and the "new guys" had/have to adjust to that. Did anyone else get that vibe or was I reading too much into that?

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

You guys are probably right. If Axl wanted to be a Dick he would have.

johndivney wrote:

Nah he's being a dick.

Board footer