You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: EURO 2016 Thread

polluxlm wrote:

England have been on the forefront of sporting upsets for a long time. Before Uruguay stole the cup from Brazil on their home soil, England made headlines in the group stage. This was right after the time when the English considered themselves so superior to everybody else in football they thought the FIFA World Cup a frivolous affair, an insult to the creators of the game. The British championship was the real WC for them.

Long story short, the American team was a collection of amateur players, more or less a literal pub team. They won 1-0. The upset was so big the English was sure the real result was 10-1 and the papers had simply misprinted it.

Sorry APE. 16

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm not saying England aren't a big team, but the Euro record has always been bad. It's like the BBC don't remember anything other than 96.

johndivney wrote:

Italians didn't give a shit.

AtariLegend wrote:

Hmmmm well some interesting matches. A shame Wales have Bale.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Call it arrogance if you want but if Iceland knock England out of the Euros it will be one of the biggest international upsets of all time.

How many knockout games have England won at the Euros, baring the penalty shoot out against Spain at Euro 96?

Give me an example of when something happened, except for the time that it happened. 16 sounds fair.

Our track record in Euros is pretty poor to be fair, however I see no reason to differentiate between Euros and World Cup. It's all knock out tournament football. Our track record against 'lesser' nations at knock out time is pretty good, it's when we meet a team with a bit of history or reputation we struggle.

Since 1990 we've beaten the following teams in knock out games.

Belgium, Cameroon, Spain, Denmark and Ecuador

And been eliminated in knock out games by the following teams

Germany, Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Portugal, Germany, Italy

More worryingly we've not won a knock out game for 10 years.

AtariLegend wrote:

I really think Wales are going to get further this year than any of the home nations. They'll be the shock too.

3367602.jpg

That said, I could only name 2 Welsh players off the top of my head still playing.

johndivney wrote:

Norn Iron vs Republic in the final.

AtariLegend wrote:

This referendum has distracted me. Forgot that the football has restarted.

AtariLegend wrote:

Penalties!

Board footer