You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: EURO 2016 Thread

Not sure you'll beat Poland, they're a good side. A point would be a good result and then go all out for a win against Ukraine. Anything against Germany is a bonus.

AtariLegend wrote:

Did I say "we", I meant "they".

Their's still a chance they get a win against Ukraine.

UEFA yesterday said Russia/England would be thrown out off the tournament if their's any more trouble. Issue is 2018 World Cup is in Russia and the Euro 2020 Semi Finals/Final is at Wembley.

I'd be shocked even if their was another incident, anything would happen considering the referendum.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

With 3 games a day plus work I barely find the time to eat!

I bet on NI winning against Poland. Didn't realize you guys were this shit. 14

If you win against Ukraine you can maybe get a draw against Germany as well, seeing as that will probably be enough for them to win the group at that point (the countries are special friends too). Not getting a point against Poland really ruins it though. With a draw you could have bunkered up and hoped for 3 of those and progress, now you need a very unlikely win against either a good eastern team or the world champions.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well NI I'll have you know are former WC QF's in 1958.

We finished ahead of Argentina in our group, beast Czechoslovakia and drew with West Germany (yes better than England did that year).

In 1982 we beat Spain in Spain, progressed and were just 1 result away from the Semi's.

In 1986 the last time we played a tournament (before I was born tongue.) we got drawn in an unlucky group of death with an all star Brazil team and Spain.

Since then in qualifying in the Euro 2008 qualifying we were the last team to beat Spain in a competitive match, before they went on a winning streak and started winning tournaments. In the previous campaign it's worth mentioning that we beat a famous England golden generation team.

That said, we're a bit shit. It's a small country (well region of the UK).

johndivney wrote:

Coulda bumped ko's back an hour would've made it a little easier..

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

When you consider the relative country sizes and populations of NI with the other teams in their group any points at all could be considered a major acheivement.

It's do or die against Ukraine I think. The worry is you looked quite toothless in attack v Poland, will need to create more to get the win.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, NI have always punched above their weight in football. That's why I reckoned you could get something against perennial bottlers Poland. Team is fine enough, but as was said, toothless in attack. Do you have players who can score goals or are they just out of form?

Now if those other Irish can just keep that 1-1 score I'm very good.

How does that work btw? Do you cheer as much for Ireland as NI?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

150px-PZPN-Logo.svg.png vs. 175px-Northern_ireland_national_football_team_logo.png

Match 6 Poland vs. Northern Ireland

Result: 1-0 (51) Milik

200px-DFBEagle.svg.png vs. 142px-Football_Federation_of_Ukraine.svg.png

Match 7 Germany vs. Ukraine

Result: 2-0 (19) Mustafi, (90+2) Schweinsteiger

200px-Spain_National_Football_Team_badge.png vs. 150px-Czech_Republic_national_football_team_logo.svg.png

Match 8 Spain vs. Czech Republic

Result: 1-0 (87) Pique

200px-Ireland_Football_Team_Badge.png vs. 94px-Sweden_national_football_team_logo.png

Match 9 Ireland vs. Sweden

Result: 1-1 (48) Hoolahan, (71) Clark (o.g.)

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

200px-Belgium_urbsfa.png vs. 150px-FIGC_logo.svg.png

Match 10 Belgium vs. Italy
June 13th, 9pm CET.

Previous meetings: 21 (4-4-13)

Lineups

Belgium: Courtois - Ciman, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Vertonghen - Witsel, Nainggolan - De Bruyne, Fellaini, Hazard - Lukaku
Italy: Buffon - Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini - Candreva, Parolo, De Rossi, Giaccherini, Darmian - Pelle, Eder

Result: 0-2 (32) Giaccherini, (90+3) Pelle

johndivney wrote:

Fell in love, again, with Italian football tonight. Loved it.

Board footer