You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: EURO 2016 Thread

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time getting excited and forcing myself to watch alot of these matches like I normally would.

Maybe it has been brought up by the BBC/ITV, but this whole half the 3rd place teams going through thing is making it hard for me to believe most of these matches even matter.

AtariLegend wrote:

If Portugal don't finish top their group though, considering the competition and Ronaldo doesn't score at least 2 hatricks before the last 16... something is wrong.

Iceland were ranked 131st in the world just a few years ago. This is in theory is the easiest group Portugal could have asked for.

Hungary are normally proverbial cannon fodder too.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Hungary were a good team once, 50 years ago. Not sure they're up to much now.

Russia now have a suspended expulsion from the tournament. Would be a very big call to kick out the next world cup hosts.

I know I'm english so may be biased but the more that emerges from the weekend the more it sounds like the english fans were properly done over. I'm sure they weren't innocent but I think the russians have far more to answer for than the english fans do.

AtariLegend wrote:

I think their are guilty England fans from the videos I've seen, but the Russian fans are a different case.

It's nasty and it looks inevitable that this will flare up again, if it does... I can't see how Russia can host the world cup in 2 years. Their may be political reasons, but you can't have millions of people from all over the world traveling there with this kind of danger.

So where else can host a world cup on short notice? England definitely would not get picked. If Trump is US president, I see a potential issue there if millions of people from all over the world are flocking to every major US city for a world cup. Travel bans would not go down well.

Germany hosted just a decade ago. Normally FIFA wouldn't want to go back so soon... that said, they'd probably make an exception.

It seems really stupid that Qatar got 2022 as well. This is the worst possible generation for holding a world cup in the middle east.

johndivney wrote:

I really wish they'd just let managers smoke on the touch line like the old days..

http://youtu.be/vYso-ZUwEZ0

AtariLegend wrote:

https://twitter.com/MomsAgainstWWE/status/741709170815193088

A Private Eye

AtariLegend wrote:

I think their are guilty England fans from the videos I've seen, but the Russian fans are a different case.

It's nasty and it looks inevitable that this will flare up again, if it does... I can't see how Russia can host the world cup in 2 years. Their may be political reasons, but you can't have millions of people from all over the world traveling there with this kind of danger.

So where else can host a world cup on short notice? England definitely would not get picked. If Trump is US president, I see a potential issue there if millions of people from all over the world are flocking to every major US city for a world cup. Travel bans would not go down well.

Germany hosted just a decade ago. Normally FIFA wouldn't want to go back so soon... that said, they'd probably make an exception.

It seems really stupid that Qatar got 2022 as well. This is the worst possible generation for holding a world cup in the middle east.

They've sent out a load more UK police which may help. The present but approachable tactic may work better than the full on riot mode the french have adopted.

Considering England have been the other nation involved in the trouble I can't seem them stripping Russia of the world cup and giving it to England. I'd guess any of the big euro nations would be the obvious choice. Germany, Spain, Italy maybe even Holland should all have the stadia and infrastructure to cope with such short notice.

Qatar was always a crazy choice, for loads of reasons and it doesn't look any better as time goes on. Then again I don't think suitability ever came into it.

AtariLegend wrote:

On one hand Portugal have Ronaldo, on the other hand they have Nani.... Not my favorite player tongue.

If Portugal can't beat Iceland by the biggest score-line in the group stages, they're not winning this tournament.

A Private Eye

Nani with the opener tongue

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Nani with the opener tongue

I'd still feel safer if he wasn't on my team tongue.

That said, never trust my predictions in football.

Board footer