You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: EURO 2016 Thread

polluxlm wrote:

Portugal are sadly not winning anything. Team hasn't been truly great since Figo threw in the towel imo. They get an easy draw this time so expect them to make the quarters, but then it's bye bye. Ronaldo is just not a Maradona type of player who can lift an entire squad. I'm glad he isn't Spanish though...

johndivney wrote:

Portuguese don't have the right attitude. Never have.

Love these tournaments cause they serve to reinforce stereotypes & how down thru generations it still tells. You get to see so much about the mindset & set ups of the countries involved.

& Iceland Jesus fuckin Christ! 10% of the population in the stadium?! Mind boggling. At least the whales should be safe for a couple of weeks..

The hooligans? Well simply England fans didn't seem to have the organisation (& state backing!) of the Russians. They were unprepared & ended with a black eye. They'll be seeking retribution, but the soviets might retreat after a victory... The authorities will reinforce & prob quash any major violence tho.
It's a definitely a worry for 2018.

Nani's a clown wouldn't have him near my team.
Still can't get those images of jogi low out of my mind.

AtariLegend wrote:

Commentators had the best stat.

If you live in Iceland and are male, you have a 1 in 2,000 chance of being in this squad.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Portuguese don't have the right attitude. Never have.

Love these tournaments cause they serve to reinforce stereotypes & how down thru generations it still tells. You get to see so much about the mindset & set ups of the countries involved.

Aye. It's why England haven't won anything since 66 despite having plenty of world class players. I prefer these tournaments over club football for that reason. Teams change, culture less so.

johndivney wrote:

Glad I've witnessed that. That's one of the great results in recent years.

polluxlm wrote:

Teams change, culture less so.

Yea definitely. I love these tournaments but I still love the club football. I love it. I'd play football every day if I could, like when I was a kid.

This was amazing tonight. On the Portuguese end it's quite embarrassing but for Iceland it's the moment they made their mark on world football. Great country too, have you ever been? Really like nowhere else I've ever been or seen. The people are quite mundane, normal, quite like us, which was a little underwhelming & they kinda all resemble fish. But the country is astonishing on an epic scale. Worth a visit. Don't go now tho, there's nobody there.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Never underestimate the Northmen.

AtariLegend wrote:

This Portugal side wouldn't have beaten Palau.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Spot on. We have a losers attitude when it cones to major tournaments. We play Wales in a friendly or qualifiers and we beat them. Put us in a tournament and everyone's nervous even though we're playing what is basically a lower prem/championship side with Bale. If we do get through to the later stages (would be a national embarrassment if we didn't considering it's top 3) we'll get beaten by one of the usual suspects, because we always do. We don't have the belief we can go on and beat those sides.

We need a manager with a new mentality/arrogance to instill belief. A Mourinho type.

johndivney wrote:

And ronaldo is still a dick.

AtariLegend wrote:

Germans always got away with stuff like this, but not England.

Board footer