You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Tim Palmer's two days on CD

esoterica wrote:

I can't imagine being Buckethead or Robin.

Imagine slaving away for a half decade and then having your efforts locked away in a vault. Not only are the fans unable to appreciate them but you're unable to profit directly or indirectly from their release. And according to Robin his favorite moments was on material that didn't even make CD. What a frustrating clusterfuck.

I find it borderline heroic he took the stage with Axl in 2012.

James Lofton wrote:

I still think we're getting a compilation just in time for the holidays.

Same. The Best Of before holiday, AFD30 next year, and vague rumors about a new album before their 2018 US tour to stoke the fires, and nothing being released. Book it!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Cramer wrote:

Eh, he had some valid points. To be up all night listening to some ego maniac record syllables, while the wife was home pregnant, and the lovely drive home on the 405....can't blame the guy.

I wish a book would come out about this debacle one day, that would be a great read. That interview with Brain alone was awesome.

Yeah I agree. The guy worked on U2s monster album ATYCLB so this wasn't his 'dream job' or career defining chance.  He was already doing well. SO, with that, life & reality kicks in.  A pregnant wife, working overnights, sitting in AM rush hour in Los Angeles for probably well over an hour.

He's not knocking Axl, it just wasn't the gig for him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Why would that be the case though? Why wouldn't any label want to release an album with Axl and Slash?

From the China Exchange interview:

Axl Rose wrote:

“The heads of the music industry realize that for their business, why deal with a band? All they need is a star and a producer. They don’t even care who writes what or what it sounds like. They could be a genuine fan of music, say, the music company president, owner, whatever. But when it comes to their business, it doesn’t have anything to do with that.

It just has to do with what’s going to be the easiest, what’s going to make the most money, and make the company and the shareholders happy and stuff like that. I can respect that … but as an artist and a musician and working with bands, it doesn’t help me at all, and i don’t think that it helps music. It doesn’t help the bands become self-sufficient and successful, they’ve got to work a lot harder because the labels are more worried about themselves making money.”

Why risk losing money on new music when there is a cash cow ready to have it's tits milked off?

That's what I mean about the expectations of GNR in the modern era.

That's the thing - a label can find a new kid to be a Justin Beiber - have a producer write some songs - all session guys to record everything - all replaceable etc etc. So it's silly for them to invest in a band like the old days where it might take 3 records to make the classic record and where the costs are all so much higher etc.

But that's about breaking new acts. This is a marque brand act in GNR. World famous name. Now with the legitimising Axl and Slash factor to give it credibility to the masses. Plus they already paid for almost 2 albums worth of stuff already done. So what do you need - 2 weeks in a studio for slash and a mix and master. Could polish it off for pocket change for the label and given how CD1 cleared the debts - it's all profit.

Unless what GNR want is a massive commitment from the label that makes it less about free profit for them. Like guaranteed marketing spend of a lot of money or renegotiated artist fees or something that would sour the deal.

But basically considering the album is already 90% done the label has every motivation to release it, if they don't - it must be because GNR is doing something that would alter the profit from their perspective. Why shouldn't Axl i guess...it's his music afterall...but there's a point where he has to let everyone make $ or it's not going to happen.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

He may of said "soon is not the word" but he also said "Not in this lifetime". I will say that I definitely do not think this is a cash cow money grab. If it was why tour into 2018? If they really are going to anyway. If it was a money grab why postpone MKC? If they are going to do a AFD 30 then they should get this CD2 out and out of their way and then continue moving forward in whatever direction they please. Also if the record company is making it hard for them to release music, just rerecord everything at one of their home studios and do an itunes release or whatever people do now days. That's what Def Leppard did, label wanted more of a share for them to re release old hits... they said FUCK THAT and just rerecord the songs and release them on their own. Saw them 2 weeks ago btw, was a really good show with Tesla and Reo Speedwagon, but the whole time i kept thinking.."man this is great, imagine how awesome that Guns show would've been.." really wish i would have went to that Chicago show.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But that's about breaking new acts. This is a marque brand act in GNR. World famous name.

I agree with you in general but what comes down from the top isn't always logical or even sensible.

The label knows that a new Greatest Hits compilation will sell. They know a remastered AFD will sell. Releasing new music in the next year or so undercuts their profits in those two endeavors.

My guess is Axl would tell them to go fuck themselves if they told him to work with a certain producer and/or re-record CD II. I could be wrong but we're talking about a guy who physically ran over a bunch of CDs that the label sent him in the early 00s. They've made no bones about telling him to amend his vision or go back to formula in the past, why change now, especially after CD was a failure in many respects?

I'd love to be wrong but given both the labels and Axl's track record, I doubt it.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

But that's about breaking new acts. This is a marque brand act in GNR. World famous name. Now with the legitimising Axl and Slash factor to give it credibility to the masses. Plus they already paid for almost 2 albums worth of stuff already done. So what do you need - 2 weeks in a studio for slash and a mix and master. Could polish it off for pocket change for the label and given how CD1 cleared the debts - it's all profit.

True, that.

monkeychow wrote:

Unless what GNR want is a massive commitment from the label that makes it less about free profit for them. Like guaranteed marketing spend of a lot of money or renegotiated artist fees or something that would sour the deal.

This is why Axl blew his lid on the CD release.

Axl in 2009 wrote:

Unfortunately I have no information for me to believe [that] there was any real involvement or effort from Interscope. I'm not saying there wasn't...I do know [that] I've been asking for a marketing plan for over five years and still haven't got anything. We've asked for a complete breakdown of promotion expenses and efforts from all parties but unfortunately I've received very little information, if anything, so far.

Axl was asking up the label about this in Feb 2004 (or earlier) is a curious notion, btw. That's Geffen had decided to 'fuck this headache' and suspended funding. Merck would later acknowledge the label bothered little with Guns prior to a contract re-negotiation and a mastered album. They equally failed to do much afterwards - on the other hand, the choice of singles was poor and Axl failed to do any videos or pre-release promo.

Slash and Duff would be a huge asset in this regard. They would know to ask for a fair deal for their services, as Axl owns Guns and is, by default, the most significant beneficiary with a new album. That's an internal issue they would need to look into - how to divide profits from the next album? Would Slash and Duff become junior shareholders, equal partners, or how would they suss it out? Axl knows that the money issue needs to be dealt with before they can readily announce any collaborations. Also, in consequence, Guns may ask for additional monies from the label to compensate.

Surely the first step in the reformation was to see how it goes. Pitman left, and there was likely a lot more to it than a few tweets. He either resigned in spite or was fired by Axl. Go figure, but new music was low on the priority list. Instead of a band coming together from a hiatus, this was about revisiting a 20-year-old acrimonious split. Coachella and the assorted dates were set up for them to placate promoters to take the plunge. Now, they're paying back in spades.

I would guess new music for next summer, somehow.  They need to feed the machine to keep touring.

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Dodged a bullet. U2 suck. ATYCLB is horrible, full of typical vacuous phony bullshit.

my nigga. 16

U2 don't suck but that is funny.

Sky Dog wrote:

All I know is that there were contracts drawn up for the second album release before Chinese was released and well????.....best bet is we get a few new songs on a new compilation around x-mas. Gonna go with MSL on this...

Sky Dog wrote:

the new touring is being funded by complete nostalgia....and this will play out around the world with or without new music. Let's be honest, they will sell as many tickets even if they only played UYI, AFD, and Lies. Sad but true.

Everyone will want to see this show. Then, after they hit every enormodome across the planet, new music will need to be a priority.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Axl was asking up the label about this in Feb 2004 (or earlier) is a curious notion, btw. That's Geffen had decided to 'fuck this headache' and suspended funding. Merck would later acknowledge the label bothered little with Guns prior to a contract re-negotiation and a mastered album. They equally failed to do much afterwards - on the other hand, the choice of singles was poor and Axl failed to do any videos or pre-release promo.

I can't remember the exact details and my Google abilities are failing me, but I remember Axl mentioning something about the label failing to commission the proper funds for videos or something to that effect. Perhaps I am misremembering.

apex-twin wrote:

I would guess new music for next summer, somehow.  They need to feed the machine to keep touring.

You're not wrong but the tour would end roughly at summer. It's possible that a remastered AFD for the 30th Anniversary doesn't happen but assuming it does, the timing doesn't make sense for a new album. They would either start the tour without new music being heard or a title being announced and them debuting it during said tour. Also strange.

Board footer