You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: US Politics Thread

misterID wrote:

He never even wanted to win the Presidency. I do think he wants to be re-elected, I don't think he wants the job and would gladly walk away. From everything I get, he really dislikes Pence and makes fun of him constantly. There was a story where whenever Trump introduced him to people he'd say, "and Mike really hates gay people."

shutout52
 Rep: 0 

shutout52 wrote:

You have to wonder though: would the GOP trust the phrase "President Nikki Haley" at all? She was quite critical of Trump leading up to the 2016 election and hasn't been completely in lockstep with him since. They could view that as either a good or bad thing overall.  Of what I've read on her, I actually like her compared to most GOP members. Not enough to where I'd vote for her, but I can think of far worse possibilities.

In the event that Haley replaces Pence on the ticket, what are the odds he goes full turncoat in any potential impeachment trial? Would/could he be offered full immunity from prosecution of his own (thus far theoretical) crimes in exchange for impeachment testimony? You'd think the #2 guy would know some pretty damning things-- maybe even participated in them.  If the GOP doesn't like the idea of her as president, they may need to make a major push to keep Pence on the ticket.

Conversely if they really like her as a potential president (after all, it would be a huge coup for the party to be able to stake the claim to first female president), this could be the plan: remove Pence and piss him off enough to get him to spill what he knows, act all indignant when his testimony comes, go full 70s-GOP-on-Nixon and support removal of Trump from office, and open the gates for her to walk on into the Oval Office.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I believe the replacement VP has to be approved by both House & Senate.

Wouldn't be that easy.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:
misterID wrote:

He never even wanted to win the Presidency. I do think he wants to be re-elected, I don't think he wants the job and would gladly walk away. From everything I get, he really dislikes Pence and makes fun of him constantly. There was a story where whenever Trump introduced him to people he'd say, "and Mike really hates gay people."

Getting impeached is an easy way out for Trump. In someways it’s like he’s being trying to get thrown out since the beginning. He has zero filter, I’d like him to continue his rallies though. Even if he’s not running. Trump should keep touring internationally.

misterID

misterID wrote:
shutout52 wrote:

You have to wonder though: would the GOP trust the phrase "President Nikki Haley" at all? She was quite critical of Trump leading up to the 2016 election and hasn't been completely in lockstep with him since. They could view that as either a good or bad thing overall.  Of what I've read on her, I actually like her compared to most GOP members. Not enough to where I'd vote for her, but I can think of far worse possibilities.

In the event that Haley replaces Pence on the ticket, what are the odds he goes full turncoat in any potential impeachment trial? Would/could he be offered full immunity from prosecution of his own (thus far theoretical) crimes in exchange for impeachment testimony? You'd think the #2 guy would know some pretty damning things-- maybe even participated in them.  If the GOP doesn't like the idea of her as president, they may need to make a major push to keep Pence on the ticket.

Conversely if they really like her as a potential president (after all, it would be a huge coup for the party to be able to stake the claim to first female president), this could be the plan: remove Pence and piss him off enough to get him to spill what he knows, act all indignant when his testimony comes, go full 70s-GOP-on-Nixon and support removal of Trump from office, and open the gates for her to walk on into the Oval Office.

Haley is the golden child for Republicans, they alleged as the future, and are all backing her, even the ones who are slagging her now as a Trump stooge. She could win the suburbs, or at least, their best chance to.

If he leaves office he could then be prosecuted, but could be pardoned by the acting President (like Ford did for Nixon) so that could be incentive to leave early.

misterID

misterID wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I believe the replacement VP has to be approved by both House & Senate.

Wouldn't be that easy.

He can select a new running mate when he's running for a second term. I'm pretty sure he can choose who he wants it Pence resigns.

misterID

misterID wrote:
wasted wrote:
misterID wrote:

Getting impeached is an easy way out for Trump. In someways it’s like he’s being trying to get thrown out since the beginning. He has zero filter, I’d like him to continue his rallies though. Even if he’s not running. Trump should keep touring internationally.

I've thought about this too.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:
shutout52 wrote:

Haley is the golden child for Republicans, they alleged as the future, and are all backing her, even the ones who are slagging her now as a Trump stooge. She could win the suburbs, or at least, their best chance to.

If he leaves office he could then be prosecuted, but could be pardoned by the acting President (like Ford did for Nixon) so that could be incentive to leave early.

Can’t be pardoned on state charges, as I understand it. New York has several.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Prosecuted for quid pro quo? That’s what prezs do, deals. It’s just if it is solely for personal reasons. If it’s corruption of Biden then surely it’s in the interest of the people? Trump is investigating the roots of collusion investigation. Why can’t that happen? Because it leads straight back to Clinton and Obama.

The idea that Trumo wants to take out Biden is hilarious. Biden doesn’t know what state he in most days and refuses to stop sniffing kids. He’s not a threat.

The statist dems knows impeachment is their only chance. Trump is strapping on a suicide vest to take them with him.

This is like season 7 of the Trump Show. Trump has stopped going to therapy and he sees danger everywhere. The audience have realized he’s just another gangster.

misterID

misterID wrote:
bigbri wrote:
misterID wrote:
shutout52 wrote:

Can’t be pardoned on state charges, as I understand it. New York has several.

Good point. Could they extradite him from Florida? If there was a case, it's hurt that the NYDA basically said they were going after him, and made it so personal so publicly.

Board footer