You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

Re: US Politics Thread

slcpunk wrote:
misterID wrote:

The irony of that meme, James, is that Trump now wants to basically keep Obamacare. See he can't just keep the good parts, like preexisting conditions, without being able to pay for it without the federal mandate: making everyone purchase healthcare or be fined. Or else everyone would only get healthcare when they really needed it. He can say repeal and replace all he wants, but those two things ARE Obamacare.

Trump is going to do what Trump always does. He'll tweak Obamacare, then stamp his name on it (rebranding) and call it a success.

"20 million have health insurance because of ME. Children can stay on their parent's plan until they are 26 because of ME. Insurance companies can no longer deny you for pre-existing conditions because of ME."

Wait and see.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Please watch then comment, of course it is Fox so I assume you may just dismiss the whole fucking segment.

As I said, this has absolutely nothing to do with the CRA which originated in the 70's. Your original claim.

This also has nothing to do with hedge funds setting up mortgage companies that focused on sub primes, then reselling to be repackaged by Wall Street and then bet against by the same people selling them. None of that had anything to do with Fannie Mae. None.

misterID wrote:

I really won't be shocked if he resigns in a year or two. But that makes things even scarier. Giving establishment repubs that much power will be devastating. We need Trump to keep his promise and stop Paul Ryan from obliterating Medicare, for example. We need that infrastructure deal; Nancy Pelosi just said she was excited to work with him on it, while McConnell and Ryan said it wasn't a priority. We really need for Trump to stand up against his party.

My original thoughts were that he wouldn't make it the full first term. However his ego alone would NEVER allow him to resign. No way, no how.

I could easily see him doing something stupid and getting impeached, but that would require Congress to act. Good luck with that.

If somebody kills him (a distinct possibility given the tension, which I believe will continue the entire time he's in office) then we'd be left with high octane homophobic Pence and the creepiest cabinet ever, chock full of Alt right conspiracy theory nutjobs, lobbyists and Trump sycophants.

One thing is clear to me though, the guy never expected to get this job. I don't think he ever thought he'd win the GOP nomination, much less the General. He's now going to feel the weight of the world on his shoulders, and I highly doubt he was ready for this. Perhaps it will humble him a bit.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:

Hillary's popular vote is currently 1.8 million more than Trump and climbing.

Wonder if 2016 Trump still agrees with 2012 Trump?

loser.png

AtariLegend wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

If somebody kills him (a distinct possibility given the tension, which I believe will continue the entire time he's in office) then we'd be left with high octane homophobic Pence and the creepiest cabinet ever, chock full of Alt right conspiracy theory nutjobs, lobbyists and Trump sycophants.

Just a question for you SLC.

Supreme Court aside, is their not a bit of you that wants him to follow through and just go overboard for 4 years destroying the GOP for a generation at least?

Oh and I seen he met with Farage again yesterday. Please give him a job America! Keep the fucker away from this country.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Please watch then comment, of course it is Fox so I assume you may just dismiss the whole fucking segment.

As I said, this has absolutely nothing to do with the CRA which originated in the 70's. Your original claim.

This also has nothing to do with hedge funds setting up mortgage companies that focused on sub primes, then reselling to be repackaged by Wall Street and then bet against by the same people selling them. None of that had anything to do with Fannie Mae. None.

That is incorrect.. Fannie Mae was VERY much involved....  They helped push up demand for housing in the low end of the market making subprime loans more attractive to other institutions as housing prices rice steadily.  They bought 25% of the 272.81 billion in subprime mortgage back securities in 2006, 35.3% in 2005 and 44% in 2004.  They were a big player..

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

That is incorrect.. Fannie Mae was VERY much involved....  They helped push up demand for housing in the low end of the market making subprime loans more attractive to other institutions as housing prices rice steadily.  They bought 25% of the 272.81 billion in subprime mortgage back securities in 2006, 35.3% in 2005 and 44% in 2004.  They were a big player..

As someone much more knowledgeable than I am about the housing crisis said, fannie mae did not cause the housing crisis. They didn't wash the market with bullshit loans.  They didn't create it.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

Just a question for you SLC.

Supreme Court aside, is their not a bit of you that wants him to follow through and just go overboard for 4 years destroying the GOP for a generation at least?

A close friend of mine and I watched the GOP debates and loved every minute of it. So yes there is that part of me that would enjoy it, and I do believe it's going to happen. But for the sake of my country I hope we don't burn everything to the ground in the process.

Sam Harris had a great analogy on his podcast the other night. He said if you were in a plane and the pilot suddenly died, you would hope that the person now landing the plane (with zero experience) would do so successfully. It would all be in the passengers best interest to do so.

There are so many fucking variables with this guy it is almost impossible to know what is going to happen. Will the reality of his job paired with his constant need for the public's adoration create a centrist who finds honest to goodness solutions? Or will the reality of this job expose an emperor with no clothes, no true ideology and allow the GOP to treat him like a puppet to push through their agendas? We're not going to know until we get rolling.

And just because Trump won, doesn't mean the fractured Republican party is healed now. There are various fractions who have completely different visions for the party moving forward. At some point he's going to tangle with somebody. Also this has been an obstructionist party for the last 8 years, not a governing party. I'm very curious to see how a splintered group decides to actually do their job for once. So yea, there certainly is some schadenfreude potential watching this...but I also hope the plane is landed safely on the runway.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
slcpunk wrote:

As someone much more knowledgeable than I am about the housing crisis said, fannie mae did not cause the housing crisis. They didn't wash the market with bullshit loans.  They didn't create it.

You friend is wrong. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were involved and were part of the game but were not the sole reason.

slcpunk

slcpunk wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

You started off talking about the community reinvestment act. I addressed that. You then answered me with Fannie Mae-which isn't the same thing. However there is no connection between the two. In addition it's private lenders who gave out the bulk of subprime loans. The private lenders were not beholden to any government regulation or oversight. These private mortgage lenders were propped up with hedge fund money in most cases. As soon as these loans were issued, they were sold off to be repackaged by Wall Street.  Once they were repackaged into securities, the agencies gave them AAA ratings (to me one of the biggest offenses.) Those crappy security bundles were then sold to retirement pensions around the country and world. After a certain point the same people selling them (Goldman Sachs for instance) began to short them. All of this is just a segment of what was going on with Wall Street preceding the crash.

It's just one more cheap lie hustled from the right, so everybody would blame "poor people" for the crash instead of Wall Street. How anybody could fall for something so ridiculous and transparent is beyond me. Reminds me of my asshole cousin who said the same thing during the crash. Guess he couldn't take responsibility for the 8 homes and one condo he lost in south Florida. Of course he blamed it on everybody but himself. Can't say I felt sorry for him...

Smoking Guns wrote:

You friend is wrong. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were involved and were part of the game but were not the sole reason.

Again, do you think Dodd/Frank is about oversight for Fannie Mae? Or Wall Street? Hello???

If you aren't aware, the Republicans want to get rid of that. Lifting regulations on Wall Street once again so they can be free to partake in more fuckery, risky loans, CDOs and OTC derivatives. It will probably be one of the first things (in theory) that Trump does. Give Wall Street free range to run riot.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

We all saw the big short and too big to fail. This was a systemic issue.

Board footer