You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: New Tour Dates Added

Does all of Chinese Democracy sound like classic GN'R? No. Shacklers, Scraped, Better, Madagascar, even Prostitute don't really sound like the old band (though you could, I suppose, make a case that My World doesn't either). But as this tour's proved, the core of the songs still sounds like GN'R; it only took a little tweaking to make the likes of Chinese Democracy, This I Love, Sorry and Catcher sound like they came straight off Use Your Illusion III; basically replacing Buckethead's technical shredding with Slash's bluesier style.

Actually, the real surprise when the album came out was just how conventional a lot of it was, beneath the doodle-bleep synth overdubs and technical Bucket-shred. They're classic rock songs; Chinese Democracy is a four-chord belter, TIL is a straightforward piano ballad from the UYI era. Tracks like Sorry don't feel at all out of place with Slash soloing over them. Hell, Slash and Duff clearly saw something classic-GN'R-ish in Better, Madagascar and Prostitute or they wouldn't be playing them.

Anyway, I stand by my opinion; Anastasia's musically a good song, yes (though I hate hate HATE the shithouse crap generic lyrics), but the whole "Bach/classical" thing means it feels more like a Yngwie Malmsteen track than GN'R. I give the DTJ flamenco a pass because, well, flamenco's more emotive than Bach. And the whole Spanish heritage of it fits okay with an LA band.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Round and round we go, all these years later.

Same old topic, same old song and dance, my friend.

The core aspects of any business are your people, technology, methodology, and end product. If you remove a core team member, the business is demonstrably affected. If you change your methodology, the business is shifting brand messaging and potentially markets. If you adapt your tech too quickly you fail to mitigate market risks and potentially alienate your clients or workforce.

CD is a record done in the vein of Guns N' Roses approximate to Axl's desired trajectory for the band. He tried to replace each piece as best he could. A punk bass player to replace a punk bass player. A powerful drummer with a great groove. And so on. But it's a clusterfuck of an album without an identity. Maybe it did once upon a time but probably not. He also clearly didn't know his ass from his elbow about business and turtled in his mansion for a decade.

In my view, Guns N' Roses is AFD lineup = AFD + Civil War + You Could Be Mine.

And these new Star Wars aren't Star Wars movies. You can call them whatever you like.

This coming from someone who likes CD and those bands.

For what it's worth.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

what a fuckin' show in detroit last night! after the rio shitshow earlier this year, i was strongly considering not going, but i'm so happy i smartened up and went.

i got to hear my michelle, patience, madagascar and prostitute, none of which were played at the detroit show last year.

madagascar was the coolest moment of the show for me. by that point, i was already hammered. as soon as them french horns pumped in, i lost my goddamn mind! the casual fans around me were looking at me like i grew 3 extra heads.

i gotta say, axl sounded phenomenal. he was singing his fuckin' ass off. he's definitely half-assed some performances in 2017, but he was fully on last night.

he said something about "our boy verlander" and there was some mild boos from the crowd. i thought that was pretty funny.

overall, hell of a night. i've been really down on the band lately, so this was a great reminder why they will always be my favorite.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

what a fuckin' show in detroit last night! after the rio shitshow earlier this year, i was strongly considering not going, but i'm so happy i smartened up and went.

i got to hear my michelle, patience, madagascar and prostitute, none of which were played at the detroit show last year.

madagascar was the coolest moment of the show for me. by that point, i was already hammered. as soon as them french horns pumped in, i lost my goddamn mind! the casual fans around me were looking at me like i grew 3 extra heads.

i gotta say, axl sounded phenomenal. he was singing his fuckin' ass off. he's definitely half-assed some performances in 2017, but he was fully on last night.

he said something about "our boy verlander" and there was some mild boos from the crowd. i thought that was pretty funny.

overall, hell of a night. i've been really down on the band lately, so this was a great reminder why they will always be my favorite.

Awesome Dale!  Happy for you. I see them Nashville on the 13th. I hope I get a killer show like you got.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

2018 dates (not yet officially announced):

Saturday, June 3, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Olympiastadion

Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Odense, Denmark
Dyrskuepladsen

Saturday, June 9, 2018
Donnington, UK
Download Festival (On sale)

Tuesday, June 12, 2018
Gelsenkirchen, Germany
Veltins-Arena

Friday, June 15, 2018
Firenze, Italy
Firenze Rocks (On sale 18/11)

Monday, June 18, 2018
Paris, France

Thursday, June 21, 2018
Dessel, Belgium
Graspop Metal Meeting (On sale 18/11)

Sunday, June 24, 2018
Mannheim, Germany
Maimarktgelände

Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Bordeaux, France
Matmut Stadium

Friday, June 29, 2018
Madrid, Spain

Sunday, July 01, 2018
Barcelona, Spain
Estadio Olympico (On sale 24/11)

Wednesday, July 04, 2018
Nijmegen, Holland
Goffertpark

Saturday, July 07, 2018
Leipzig, Germany
Festwiese

Monday, 09 July, 2018
Chorzow, Poland
Stadion Slaski

Friday July 13, 2018
Moscow, Russia
Spartak Otkritie

Monday, July 16, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Song Festival Grounds

Thursday, July 19, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Valle Hovin

Saturday, July 21, 2018
Gothenburg, Sweden
Ullevi Stadium

This is in line with the previous leaked Poland date.

It'll be interesting to see how AC/DC is interspersed with these dates.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

here we go, milk the cow while it's still alive! it's amazing how the casuals still want to pay quite huge sums of money for the nostalgia act...

elevendayempire

Oh bollocks. They're playing Download right around my birthday. No way I can miss that, no way I can afford it.

I wonder if they'll do the obligatory Ireland date in May to kick off the tour...

elevendayempire

zombux wrote:

here we go, milk the cow while it's still alive! it's amazing how the casuals still want to pay quite huge sums of money for the nostalgia act...

Come on, they're playing three-hour sets. They could easily show up, half-arse their way through an hour of the Greatest Hits tracklist and go home. They're playing deep cuts, they're playing Chinese Democracy tracks. They're doing everything right, except for releasing new material – and as I've demonstrated over and over again, there's no need to release new material while the NITL tour still has gas in the tank.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

yup, and when it comes to end, a new tour will start. remember 2009+ Chinese Democracy World Tour? at one point, Up Close And Personal Tour started. and then Appetite For Democracy Tour. there was no need to release new material during those, either - I guess smile

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:

Guess we know now that Slash and Duff's contracts aren't ending soon. Good for the European fans. Hope a good rest will get Axl back to sounding like the 2016 NA tour.

Board footer