You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The TWAT and IRS 99 leaks are from before BH joined the band.

There are cuts of these songs  without Robin.  But the question is does anyone have them.

It all depends on that version of the song it is, there is like 15 versions of each song. Both Fortus and Dizzy confirmed this.

I know. I meant that even the 2005 very first IRS leak still had Robin. In fact, Robin was in every single studio studio recording (excluding the remixes, of course) we had so far - even Going Down. This Madagascar demo would be the first one without him.

apex-twin wrote:

Yes, this sounds like it's from the transitional period between Beavan/Robin and RTB/Bucket in early 2000. As you said, the drums sound more Josh than Brain.

Hard to say for sure, but this is definitely the oldest version of Maddy so far.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who thought the drums sounded more like Josh. I'm not 100% sure, but still.. didn't Brain joined the band a bit after Bucket?

Ragnar wrote:

The album cuts are bloated and poorly mixed (that's right, Axl & Caram). Part of the problem was obviously that there were too many options accumulated over the years and they ended up compiling everything from sub-bass to superfluous overdubs, because more is more.

I met Caram once. Asked how many layers of guitars were in Scraped. He laughed and said he couldn't possibly remember.

I think brain was first then BH but it was right around the same time. It was within the same few weeks. I remember a RS article I think it was, that said Finck out and Brain and BH in.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Buckethead joined (or "auditioned" over a handful of jams) in around December '99. His buddy, Josh Freese, got Camp Axl in touch with him. This was after Brian May had come in, and worked on Catcher, Atlas, and a third song. Bucket called Brain after Josh left. Brain was then auditioned by a snotty Tommy Stinson. This was after the Primus tour, in the summer of 2000.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

I think brain was first then BH but it was right around the same time. It was within the same few weeks. I remember a RS article I think it was, that said Finck out and Brain and BH in.

Still. There could be some demos with Josh and Buckethead. This could also be just a reference mix before they replaced Brain's rerecorded drums.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I think you are right about the drums being Josh, dont think its brain, does not seem like his style.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Plot thickens.

"We're still hoping to have Brian May come in and do some tracks, and I got a fax today that he's coming in." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

"[Axl] was talking to Roy Thomas Baker, who was doing some production for them at the time, and they came up with the idea of contacting me to help them work out a direction." (Brian May, Uncut Magazine, 04/11)

"Axl was feeling he that was in a difficult place, because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album, [...] that'd done most of the tracks, had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet [...] he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you know." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

"[Axl] said, 'Brian can you come and do stuff which I will like and I won't feel too bad about ditching this other stuff?'. So I did. I went over there and I think I played on three tracks and messed around on various other things. But it worked out pretty well, as far as I can tell." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00)

So, Axl started talking to RTB about polishing up the album for release around the time Robin left. Axl and RTB got the idea of contacting Brian May, albeit the May sessions were produced by Beavan, as confirmed by Axl. Then in came Bucket, and RTB somewhat later, as Beavan, likely running out of contract in early '00, bowed out gracefully.

Voodoochild wrote:

Still. There could be some demos with Josh and Buckethead. This could also be just a reference mix before they replaced Brain's rerecorded drums.

The infamous 'three good songs' album from mid-2000 featured Josh on drums. Some of Robin's stuff likely remained, but Brian May and Bucket were included. I think that after Bob Ezrin deemed the album needed fixing, they started re-doing the drums.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:

I hope that messing around part on madagascar is just not something random Brian May was playing and Axl just cut and pasted into the song ha

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I'm hardly an expert on anything music but I don't hear Brain's cymbal crashes when the chorus kicks in at 1:10.

Brain does indeed have a deeper groove and his kick out back to the second verse is drawn out whereas this is back to business.

"[Baker] was coming from Queen, The Cars, Journey, more the rock thing. He said we had to go re-record the drums because they sounded very industrial." (Brain, MusicRadar, 10/22/12)

Plot is thicc.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Plot thickens.

Voodoochild wrote:

The infamous 'three good songs' album from mid-2000 featured Josh on drums. Some of Robin's stuff likely remained, but Brian May and Bucket were included. I think that after Bob Ezrin deemed the album needed fixing, they started re-doing the drums.

Didnt know that. Not doubting you, but is there a source? Didnt see a quote from Bob Ezrin on CHinese Whispers.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

If you take the 2001 date at face value that would mean Josh Freese was still featured on drums not Brain and Buckethead was only half-integrated.

It's unsurprising there would be a shoe box full of different versions but we have 1999, 2000, and presumably at some time, a 2001 version of There Was A Time still featuring Robin on lead throughout the whole thing.

It brings the spirit of the times thing into question a little bit and makes you wonder about chronology.

I look forward to the other stuff for further comparisons.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Ezrin comments here.

Like Tom Zutaut the next year, Ezrin was another A&R Man Jimmy Iovine threw into the mix to rein in the process. Seems like OMG's lukewarm reception distraught both Axl and Iovine.

Wagszilla wrote:

If you take the 2001 date at face value that would mean Josh Freese was still featured on drums not Brain and Buckethead was only half-integrated.

I seriously doubt this being a 2001 Maddy. Brain went in-depth about his kit on it, and the Boston promo gives an inkling of RTB's production style. This is not it.

Board footer