You are not logged in. Please register or login.

blake79
 Rep: 0 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

blake79 wrote:

Can someone send me a PM, please?thx

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It could be real or fan made really. That's the fun of 2000era GNR - That guitar sound is just amateur enough that it could be one of us, or like a bedroom-best friend promoted to rhythm guitarist or a circus guitarist hired to replace slash 16

Uh huh.

That's a pretty amazing point in the CD saga. The money was (mostly) spent on renting a luxurious studio with quality gear and having peeps idle in it, because Ax can't be arsed to show up and lead the way.  What he wanted was a sample library, of which songs could be compiled. When you lack any overarching ideas, getting a ton of options may seem like a way through.

It puts a different spin to the Interscope woes, surely. What they would've heard more often than not was an incoherent mess. Robin's lead guitar on CITR is a painful example; it doesn't sound like he's actually playing it, rather than it was put together from a half a dozen takes. Making everything aside the vocals interchangeable only exasperated the issue.

For all his writing cred, Paul Tobias finds himself a bit exposed now...

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

It could be real or fan made really. That's the fun of 2000era GNR - That guitar sound is just amateur enough that it could be one of us, or like a bedroom-best friend promoted to rhythm guitarist or a circus guitarist hired to replace slash 16

Uh huh.

That's a pretty amazing point in the CD saga. The money was (mostly) spent on renting a luxurious studio with quality gear and having peeps idle in it, because Ax can't be arsed to show up and lead the way.  What he wanted was a sample library, of which songs could be compiled. When you lack any overarching ideas, getting a ton of options may seem like a way through.

It puts a different spin to the Interscope woes, surely. What they would've heard more often than not was an incoherent mess. Robin's lead guitar on CITR is a painful example; it doesn't sound like he's actually playing it, rather than it was put together from a half a dozen takes. Making everything aside the vocals interchangeable only exasperated the issue.

For all his writing cred, Paul Tobias finds himself a bit exposed now...

Your post made me think of Stock photos websites... And I think it may very well reflect the truth: Axl didn't have a vision but he wanted options so he could BUILD a vision later on. (I'll search the quote for several cd's full of ideas and guitar licks to choose from)

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

correct. the problem is, when you have 987654695898 samples to build 987624 songs from, you don't have 987264968549 years to finish anything meaningful, because you're a human being and not a fucking hypercomputer smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Roy Thomas Baker gets a lot of shit around here but his work is the only time the project reached a professional level of quality. If you compare any of these early leaks to Oh My God, they seem rough, patchwork, and amateurish. The Piazza leaks were certainly what you'd come to expect.

I do wonder about Tommy's quotes in 2004.

Tommy wrote:

I wanted to hear the things I hadn't heard yet. Some of the stuff had been done a while ago and hadn't changed much; I didn't really bother with that.

...But I wanted to hear all the new stuff and I heard about six things that I hadn't heard finished yet, that were really mind-blowing.(Tommy, Chart Attack, 09/15/04)

We've only heard is all incremental changes, swapping in-and-out band members, and so forth. Yet Tommy's comments here and around here talk about new songs being done and the like. We've heard precious little of those. I think there being so many iterations of these tracks lends credence to the theory that these were the A-list songs.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Roy Thomas Baker gets a lot of shit around here but his work is the only time the project reached a professional level of quality. If you compare any of these early leaks to Oh My God, they seem rough, patchwork, and amateurish. The Piazza leaks were certainly what you'd come to expect.

OMG was mixed and mastered on Beavan's watch. He was certainly a capable enough producer to sew things up. And RTB was likely equally marooned before Tom Zutaut came aboard in 2001.

The 'new' songs Tommy talked about could've been stuff like Better. Definite Bucket/Brain -era, without as much as a whiff of Paul Tobias.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

OMG was mixed and mastered on Beavan's watch. He was certainly a capable enough producer to sew things up. And RTB was likely equally marooned before Tom Zutaut came aboard in 2001.

Very true, it just seems of a clear higher quality then everything else. Both in quality and in enthusiasm. And just a demo to boot. tongue

apex-twin wrote:

The 'new' songs Tommy talked about could've been stuff like Better. Definite Bucket/Brain -era, without as much as a whiff of Paul Tobias.

Yeah. It would seem logical it's that and stuff we haven't heard.

I'm not too sure Tommy is about to sing the praises of Shacklers, Scraped, or Silkworms.

I guess the thought was that everything else would probably date back to 1999 or earlier, with multiple versions already in existence.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Dumb question: How the hell do you get to your own PM inbox? It's nowhere to be found.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Dumb question: How the hell do you get to your own PM inbox? It's nowhere to be found.

Forums > Messages

or

This link

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Thanks. It seems the link I was sent was expired. Anyone help out?

Board footer